Injury Report: Auston Matthews: Hand injury (no details forthcoming)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wonder if some rest would do his wrist further good. Its not like Leafs are going for presidents trophy. Their playoff spot is almost set. I doubt hom/away thing will matter much in round 1 anyway. if the rest can make his wrist feel better than they should have a chat with Auston

I definitely need think we will see him get rest. I think we’ll see a lot of guys get rest.

I just think we have eyes on home ice first

I think if ROR were not out, we’d see him getting games off already

Reactions: saffronleaf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You raise a fair point. Though there's probably a bit of a delicate balance of wanting to keep the player happy and players obviously want to play while in the midst of contract talks with Matthews.

Matthews is gonna get paid regardless IMO. If the GM of the team asks the player to rest; the GM himself is reducing Matthews' production so that shouldn't really factor into the negotiations; also don't think in the remaining games Matthews' production this season will add or delete from his next contract.

If a rested Matthews epecially with a better wrist can produce in the playoffs and lead to a deep run I think that will give Matthews' camp more support to negotiate a better contract.

its a win-win-win scenario IMO.

Leafs potentially go deep with a healthy wrist Matthews
Dubas potentially gets renewed
Matthews' camp gets more bargaining position

If for some reason, matthews' wrists start acting up and he doesn't perform well in the playoffs all of the above 3 points are done for and opposite may happen

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Why is this even being put out there. Seriously who does this help other than maybe his agent saying he ain’t producing because of this injury but look he is a warrior and played anyway……

Now if I am the other team I’m targeting his hands night in and night out. Just shut your mouth and keep it in house and wait till the season is over.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would say most players are playing with some sort of injury during the season

Yeah, not necessarily something that’s been this long lasting however and it’s not like he’s making excuses, nor does he need to. He’s still played at a 43 goal, 93 point pace despite his injuries this season.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs have been fairly tight lipped about injuries (something Dubas'/Shanny likely positively took away from Lou's strategy of silence). So I doubt they'd allow any official comments on it by now if they weren't fairly confident he was passed the worst of it
agreed

The first guy to try something better get his face pummeled in.
By who ?
Dart Guy ?

leafhead417c.jpg

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yeah, not necessarily something that’s been this long lasting however and it’s not like he’s making excuses, nor does he need to. He’s still played at a 43 goal, 93 point pace despite his injuries this season.
I have no issues with how he’s played this year, he’s improved his all around game.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
maybe something similar to what Mikheyeve has this season, requiring a "season-ended" surgery,

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Anyone surprised? He has barely used his bread and butter shot this season...

His ability to receive passes is more worrying IMO, his 60 goal year you could throw a rolling puck anywhere within a 5 foot radius of him and he’d have it under control and ready to shoot 90% of the time. He’d have a couple goals tonight if he could receive passes like that and was only shooting at 70% his usual strength.

Reactions: horner and Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad