Injury Report: Auston Matthews: Hand injury (no details forthcoming)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That’s what some of us are saying, he shots looked a lot better about a week and a half ago.
I mentioned in one of the games that, the sounds of his shot hitting the backboard sounded good.

Reactions: saffronleaf

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I guess we can officially downplay the HFidiots who were saying he's having girlfriend issues etc etc.
It always confused me why people thought it wasn't an injury

You don't just forget how to shoot like that, especially when you're a player of AM34's calibre. Something had to be bothering him to cause his shot to be off

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Just confirms what everyone knew already. Makes me wonder why he wasn't taking more time off to heal it though.

It raises a lot of questions. Let's hope it's healed now, but I'm worried it might be a chronic issue.

Does it affect the $$$ amount on his next 8-year contract? Probably not, but it makes it trickier, 15M on the book for 8 years.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Thank you to those that posted the info. There is no way I am going to pay for 'sports journalism'.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Firstly I feel for him from an injury point of view
I feel for us as we need his scoring and play

But !!!

Wtf , why would you ever want to disclose this , especially now before playoffs …
Say anything else , not what your injury actually is .
Most importantly, I and any other player who have had and have the penchant for winning would go after him and his hand mercilessly from now until the playoffs to further aggravate it and possibly knock him out .
Sorry if that’s too “ mean “ but its reality
Dumb dumb dumb !!!!!!

Also it looks aweful , whinny and I won’t comment further , also it looks like he’s putting up an a excuse , optics look horrible , as most players are dealing with injuries all year long and we don’t hear about .
Either play through it or get better !!!!
I wish him well , but jeeeeez dumb dumb dumb to come out ..
GLG

Note :
I absolutely am a huge fan of AM and have fully supported him and his play and progression of his stellar elite play in all areas of his game .

Last edited:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

But !!!

Wtf , why would you ever want to disclose this , especially now before playoffs …
Most importantly, I and any other player who has the penchant for winning would go after him and his hand mercilessly from now until the playoffs to further aggravate it and possibly knock him out .
Dumb dumb dumb !!!!!!

Also it looks aweful , whinny and kinda I don’t knn no one , I don’t wajtvyo say , also it looks like he’s putting up an excuse , optics look horrible , as most players are dealing with injuries all year long and we don’t hear about .
GLG
The simple answer is everyone in the game already knew. It's been unofficially known by fans for most of the season, it's reasonable to assume players/coaches/teams/etc know more than fans.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Most importantly, I and any other player who has the penchant for winning would go after him and his hand mercilessly from now until the playoffs
It's hard to "target the hand". You sure can target the shoulder.

The players and the goalies know his shot isn't the same.

The hard part is .... his wrist doesnt stay healthy for long.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I guess we can officially downplay the HFidiots who were saying he's having girlfriend issues etc etc.
Well maybe his hand is his girlfriend? Guess I should have read the other 800 responses like this first. So what is the coming out of then closet all about in the title?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Well maybe his hand is his girlfriend?
drums-ba-dum-tss.gif

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

But !!!

Most importantly, I and any other player who has the penchant for winning would go after him and his hand mercilessly from now until the playoffs to further aggravate it and possibly knock him out .
Dumb dumb dumb !!!!!!

Also it looks aweful , whinny and kinda I don’t knn no one , I don’t wajtvyo say , also it looks like he’s putting up an excuse , optics look horrible , as most players are dealing with injuries all year long and we don’t hear about .
GLG

You need to chill lol. He simply answered a direct question about how his shot looks better lately honestly saying he is feeling better. How is that whining? Lol

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Knew it !

few questions though:

1) is it getting any better?
2) gotta protect auston's hand in case in playoffs his hand gets targetted
3) was it the right move to go all in by Dubas knowing your #1 franchise player is dealing with an injury

Oh well...

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
hey brotha …
Firstly , thanks for the “ chill” comment , one thing I am is always chiiiiiil , but kidding aside , I appreciate your comment .
Full disclosure;
I actually haven’t read to much about it and honestly I only commented based on one source only and may have not got the full context to the story .
So my bad as the wee ones say ..nowadays.
It was poor form on my behalf to respond to something I “ may “ have not have done enough research on the matter and therefore shouldn’t have said anything until further information on . The subject . So it’s on me . My apologies.
I will retract my statement in full for my lack of discipline here .

However I certainly stand by everything I said if in fact he or any other player in hockey came out in the manner that I thought was I was presented with .

So again
Thx for commenting
GLG

I’ll look into it further and more closely , m interested in it now .

You need to chill lol. He simply answered a direct question about how his shot looks better lately honestly saying he is feeling better. How is that whining? Lol
hey brotha …
Firstly , thanks for the “ chill” comment , one thing I am is always chiiiiiil , but kidding aside , I appreciate your comment .
Full disclosure;
I actually haven’t read to much about it and honestly I only commented based on one source only and may have not got the full context to the story .
So my bad as the wee ones say ..nowadays.
It was poor form on my behalf to respond to something I “ may “ have not have done enough research on the matter and therefore shouldn’t have said anything until further information on it . So it’s on me . My apologies.
I will retract my statement in full for my lack of discipline here .

However I certainly stand by everything I said if in fact he or any other player in hockey came out in the manner that I thought was presented to me .
So again
Thx for commenting
GLG

I’ll look into it further and more closely , im interested in it now .

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Knew it !

few questions though:

3) was it the right move to go all in by Dubas knowing your #1 franchise player is dealing with an injury

Oh well...

I’ll take a crack at this:

1) sounds as though it has been improving
2) yes
3) complicated and fair question, but ultimately yes when considering everything: Matthews and Nylander upcoming extensions, Tampa being objectively weakened from last year, Matthews at 70% (or whatever percentage) still being clearly better than most players, the potential franchise turmoil that could result from another first round exit.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would also like to say that AM were overworking his wrists due his breakup, lol.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Knew it !

few questions though:

Oh well...

The Leafs have been fairly tight lipped about injuries (something Dubas'/Shanny likely positively took away from Lou's strategy of silence). So I doubt they'd allow any official comments on it by now if they weren't fairly confident he was passed the worst of it

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’ll take a crack at this:

1) sounds as though it has been improving
2) yes
3) complicated and fair question, but ultimately yes when considering everything: Matthews and Nylander upcoming extensions, Tampa being objectively weakened from last year, Matthews at 70% (or whatever percentage) being better than most players, the potential franchise turmoil that could result from another first round exit.

The Leafs have been fairly tight lipped about injuries (something Dubas'/Shanny likely positively took away from Lou's strategy of silence). So I doubt they'd allow any official comments on it by now if they weren't fairly confident he was passed the worst of it

I wonder if some rest would do his wrist further good. Its not like Leafs are going for presidents trophy. Their playoff spot is almost set. I doubt hom/away thing will matter much in round 1 anyway. if the rest can make his wrist feel better than they should have a chat with Auston

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wonder if some rest would do his wrist further good. Its not like Leafs are going for presidents trophy. Their playoff spot is almost set. I doubt hom/away thing will matter much in round 1 anyway. if the rest can make his wrist feel better than they should have a chat with Auston

You raise a fair point. Though there's probably a bit of a delicate balance of wanting to keep the player happy and players obviously want to play while in the midst of contract talks with Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad