Post-Game Talk: Auston Matthews Does It Again! | Leafs Win 7-4!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Klingberg is better than Holl. Bertuzzi is better than Bunting. Reaves is better than Simmonds. Domi is better than Kerfoot/Engvall(actually we started last year with Malgin there). Suggests we’re a better team. The league is moving towards deadline deals too, this defence will change come playoffs, this isn’t a static situation.

I‘m really encouraged.
Definitely need to tighten up our defence and hope Sammy and Woll will clean up their games too. Encouraged for sure

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Klingberg is better than Holl. Bertuzzi is better than Bunting. Reaves is better than Simmonds. Domi is better than Kerfoot/Engvall(actually we started last year with Malgin there). Suggests we’re a better team. The league is moving towards deadline deals too, this defence will change come playoffs, this isn’t a static situation.

I‘m really encouraged.

Me too the team looks really good, I just want a defense up grade in November or December and I think we’ll be good

horner

May 22, 2007
Early take
Klingberg makes a nice first pass to forwards. Hits them full speed on the tape. So refreshing to see as in the past all we did was shoot off the glass and turn it over in the neutral zone.

Gio and Brodie both need to be upgraded. The game is passing them by

Samsanov needs to tighten up his rebounds and be aware of when he should stop the play when our forwards are tired. On a goal last night we were tired and a shot came from the point on his glove side and it could have been caught easily and play stopped to get fresh legs out but he kicked the rebound out and it went to a wild player and the next thing you know it’s in the back of the net.

Janrok is not affective on the third line. He has to play with more skilled players to succeed. I think he could be traded for defensive help and replaced with McCann who can play that role.

Kampf is way out of his comfort level playing on the fourth line. He is not a physical player and he is struggling with his defensive play. He was walked a few times last night with one leading to a goal.I think he could be traded and replaced quite easily by holmberg who is better suited for a fourth line role.
Jamcrock and Kampf could be traded and we wouldn't skip a beat.
Holmberg and McMann could replace them.

Use the extra money on defence
Andrew peeke
We also tride to trade for Desharnais from edmonton

Then see what is available at the deadline

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Jamcrock and Kampf could be traded and we wouldn't skip a beat.
Holmberg and McMann could replace them.

Use the extra money on defence
Andrew peeke
We also tride to trade for Desharnais from edmonton

Then see what is available at the deadline
I'll add brodie to that m8x
He looks very disinterested

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

I‘m really encouraged.

So this is what a REAL GM feels like…

Reactions: DarkKnight

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Is Reaves the first Leafs in Auston era where he got into fights in two consecutive games?
Yeah pretty sure, last guy was Fraser MacLaren
The wild out hit us?that stat doesn’t seem right
Normal when you have more possession
Pretty hilarious reading game threads Bi-Polar at its best.
Nothing changes win or lose in that regard, where would we be without LeaFlanders chiming in.
I've been critical of the Matthews contract machinations but for the first time in a long time the Leafs have a top 3-5 player in the NHL, and a potential top 50 player of all time. Forget the money and just enjoy the show.
Good advice but you know what's going to happen the first time he goes 3 games without a point!
Yeah I have seen a bunch of people talk about sending Minten down after his 9 games and I don’t agree.
Maybe it happens but so far he hasn’t looked too out of place. Some rookie mistakes but his line is generating chances and you can see he processes the game well. If he keeps this up and keeps improving I’d go past the 9 game mark. Then you need to decide if he is good enough to burn a year of service time.
I don't really get it either, he's playing as the 3c. Taking care of the 3Cs responsibilities, rarely out of position, always back on defense and usually first, he's quick on the transition, steals pucks, uses his physicality when necessary.

I think the disconnect is because he hasn't registered a point yet, which isn't concerning in itself. An average 3C should put up 35ish points or so, or about 1 point every 7 periods. While doing that he should maintain a respectable +/-. So far so good I'd say, I'll save my panic for the end of the second period on Monday:laugh:
Game 1: 6-5. AM hatrick
Game 2: 7-4 AM hatrick….

Game 3 : 8-3 AM hatrick?
I not only like the cut of your jib, but duly admire your math skills.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It wasn't particularly close but there were a few things of interest.

The first thing that needs to be said is that Jake McCabe STINKS.

He is a horrible defenseman. And the McCabe/Klingberg pair looks like it's gonna be one of the worst in the league. If they traded McCabe and replaced him with Benoit it probably wouldn't make much of a difference and they would save over a million bucks.

I was thinking I should throw $20 on Matthews scoring 60 goals this year.

My justification was that he's only gotta get another 52
. From the looks of the betting lines I'm not the only one that thinks that way either. There isn't another player in the league you could say that about right now.

I'm softening my stance on Reaves.

He's got character. And performs the job better than Simmonds. I still don't want him playing a prominent role in the playoffs though.

Go Leafs Go

You're going to want to double-check that math before you commit such a great fortune to the wager. ;)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I‘m really encouraged.
These are all to be expected (just compare their caphits) as we've shifted money from defense and goaltending (Muzzin and Murray) to our forwards.

I'm happy with the additions (minus Reaves who is growing on me but I still really hope isn't on our playoff roster). However, the 1 for 1 comparisons are not a true representation given their higher caphits.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
These are all to be expected (just compare their caphits) as we've shifted money from defense and goaltending (Muzzin and Murray) to our forwards.

I'm happy with the additions (minus Reaves who is growing on me but I still really hope isn't on our playoff roster). However, the 1 for 1 comparisons are not a true representation given their higher caphits.
Okay Woll>Murray. Such a strange way to look at it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Okay Woll>Murray. Such a strange way to look at it.
What's weird about considering caphits when we look at the new players.

We are using more of the cap on the forward replacements... so it'd be a big disappointment if the forward replacements were worse.

I know people have always slept on our defense, but the past few years they were overall very good. This year remains to be seen, but it wouldn't be a suprise if it was a step back compared to the last few years (while the forwards are hopefully better/more consistent) given better complimentary pieces.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

We are using more of the cap on the forward replacements... so it'd be a big disappointment if the forward replacements were worse.

I know people have always slept on our defense, but the past few years they were overall very good. This year remains to be seen, but it wouldn't be a suprise if it was a step back compared to the last few years (while the forwards are hopefully better/more consistent) given better complimentary pieces.
Scoring has also been the thing that has killed us in the playoffs like 3 years running now. We will comfortably make the playoffs with the roster as is and can still address the defense as the season goes on.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sure and I just gave you a huge savings in goal cap hit wise but a better option. So your point there is undercut. I'll stand by the upgrades it seems obvious. We also signed Klingberg btw for a good sized ticket.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Scoring has also been the thing that has killed us in the playoffs like 3 years running now. We will comfortably make the playoffs with the roster as is and can still address the defense as the season goes on.

Why scoring had been an issu? Defensive group was not dangerous at all...

1- When your d outside of rielly didn't creating anything, what do you believe opposite team will do when youre having puck control on offensive zone? They will focus at 5 on foward and will give all time and space for leafs D at blue line because they scare nobody.

2- you dont had d able to join the rush and make you pay... so again thats hurting you offensivly. So in a 3v2 with a D involve or 4v3, they will let leafs get the puck and protecting leafs foward... because they know he will not hurt you...

after we watch It and dont understand why matthews, marner, nylander and jt struggling at time ... maybe its just not the right question but what leafs can do to help them? And since day 1 i praised klinberg signing because he finally creating a second danger from blueline to opponent. Exemple get klinberg and rielly both around 22-23 minute so for 44 to 46 min(75% of time) of 60, you will constantly having danger from your blue line.. that change completly game plan for everybody!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad