Post-Game Talk: Auston Matthews Does It Again! | Leafs Win 7-4!

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Full look at the Domi scrum from the first. American broadcast prioritizes the action while up here we prioritize insurance ads.

Thanks for that.
I love that it started because he was coming in to defend Tavares. That is what the team really needs. Everyone sticking up for each other.
I saw some of that when Bertuzzi started a scrum in the first game, Marner and Matthews were in the middle of the scrum without hesitation.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Jake McCabe STINKS.

He's a horrible defenseman. And the McCabe/Klingberg pair looks like it's gonna be one of the worst in the league. If they traded McCabe and replaced him with Benoit it probably wouldn't make much of a difference and they would save over a million bucks.

I'm thinking Matthews is gonna score 60 goals this year.

My justification is that he's only gotta get another 54. From the looks of it I'm not the only one that thinks that way either. There isn't another player in the league you could say that about right now.

I'm softening my stance on Reaves.

He's got character. And performs the job better than Simmonds. I still don't want him playing a prominent role in the playoffs though.

Go Leafs Go

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Matthews's wrist looks fine.

The man is on the roll, 246 goals season pace ! 300+ points. He's gonna show us why he is paid more than McJesus.

Nick034

Dec 6, 2017
I was just about to say something about JM, thanks TMLBlueandwhite, it seems to me that his hockey IQ is not that high. Last night, again, he had ill advised pinches and left some huge holes on the back. The most he can play on a cup contender is a third pair even that has to be with a good stay at home D. Also Minten looks ok but what i noticed is that he needs to bulk up to be more effective. It will come with time. This team needs a #1 stay at home D and maybe a third line C to be a cup favourite.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Just another year of Matthews Marner and Nylander being able to sleep through the regular season. This trio needs to stay together even if it costs 35 mil combined. Don't @ me.

PtO Gregor is already better than Lafferty who cost assets. Cap space isn't an issue you just need to round out the team properly and it seems Treliving is on the right path of knowing how to insulate the 3 amigos.

It is a repeat case of saying "this is our year " but in this instance things truly do feel different.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Early take
Klingberg makes a nice first pass to forwards. Hits them full speed on the tape. So refreshing to see as in the past all we did was shoot off the glass and turn it over in the neutral zone.

Gio and Brodie both need to be upgraded. The game is passing them by

Samsanov needs to tighten up his rebounds and be aware of when he should stop the play when our forwards are tired. On a goal last night we were tired and a shot came from the point on his glove side and it could have been caught easily and play stopped to get fresh legs out but he kicked the rebound out and it went to a wild player and the next thing you know it’s in the back of the net.

Janrok is not affective on the third line. He has to play with more skilled players to succeed. I think he could be traded for defensive help and replaced with McCann who can play that role.

Kampf is way out of his comfort level playing on the fourth line. He is not a physical player and he is struggling with his defensive play. He was walked a few times last night with one leading to a goal.I think he could be traded and replaced quite easily by holmberg who is better suited for a fourth line role.

Reactions: fahad203

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Janrok is not affective on the third line. He has to play with more skilled players to succeed. I think he could be traded for defensive help and replaced with McCann who can play that role.
Zero chance McCann is coming here and if we did acquire him it would probably be to play second line.

And it's going to be hard to playing with two rookies... Minten in particular is struggling out there. Last night was a step in the right direction for him but it's hard playing center and he's so young... I like his skating/size/reach combo but so far possession is constantly dying on his stick in the offensive zone. I'm still down to give him a few more games but I have a feeling we'll be seeing Holmberg up on the team soon enough.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Random other thoughts about the game:

Watching Dean Evason’s face last night was like watching Dracula watch his coffins being burned by villagers. Creepy looking man.

Also Rielly’s shift and hit on Boldy starting the offensive rush where he set up Jarnkrok’s goal was a thing of beauty.

I wish I heard the bench convo between Matthews Gio, McCabe and Bertuzzi after the hatrick goal. Gio giving mad props to Matthews.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Random other thoughts about the game:

Watching Dean Evason’s face last night was like watching Dracula watch his coffins being burned by villagers. Creepy looking man.

Also Rielly’s shift and hit on Boldy starting the offensive rush where he set up Jarnkrok’s goal was a thing of beauty.

I wish I heard the bench convo between Matthews Gio, McCabe and Bertuzzi after the hatrick goal. Gio giving mad props to Matthews.
Rielly's really had a great start to the season.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Early take
Klingberg makes a nice first pass to forwards. Hits them full speed on the tape. So refreshing to see as in the past all we did was shoot off the glass and turn it over in the neutral zone.

Gio and Brodie both need to be upgraded. The game is passing them by

Samsanov needs to tighten up his rebounds and be aware of when he should stop the play when our forwards are tired. On a goal last night we were tired and a shot came from the point on his glove side and it could have been caught easily and play stopped to get fresh legs out but he kicked the rebound out and it went to a wild player and the next thing you know it’s in the back of the net.

Kampf is way out of his comfort level playing on the fourth line. He is not a physical player and he is struggling with his defensive play. He was walked a few times last night with one leading to a goal.I think he could be traded and replaced quite easily by holmberg who is better suited for a fourth line role.
This last paragraph: wow. You can't be serious. Not a physical player? He's a gym rat and a workout king. Where did this come from? If you trade Kampf where is he going to play on the next team? Probably 4th line center.

If TOR trades Kampf then they are super thin at center. Minton is likely not going to be a 3C past 9 games. I too want to see Holmberg, but not at the expense of dumping Kampf.

What does it take realistically to trade for a 3rd line C in the early going of a season? Can one be acquired for a 2nd round pick?

Let's hope BT is not as hasty as fans want him to be.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Full look at the Domi scrum from the first. American broadcast prioritizes the action while up here we prioritize insurance ads.

Thanks for sharing!

That was one of a few moments during the broadcast where the producer/director, whoever is in charge of in-the-moment camera selection, had their head up their ass. From pulling the quick trigger on that ad, to showing a guy who blocked a shot sitting on the bench while the play was going on sometimes I have to wonder what they are thinking. Sportsnet is the WORST for switching to the 'wrong' camera at the wrong time imo and have been for a few years now. We miss a lot of faceoffs too as they show their stat graphics or some dude munching on popcorn in the stands.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
This last paragraph: wow. You can't be serious. Not a physical player? He's a gym rat and a workout king. Where did this come from? If you trade Kampf where is he going to play on the next team? Probably 4th line center.

If TOR trades Kampf then they are super thin at center. Minton is likely not going to be a 3C past 9 games. I too want to see Holmberg, but not at the expense of dumping Kampf.

What does it take realistically to trade for a 3rd line C in the early going of a season? Can one be acquired for a 2nd round pick?

Let's hope BT is not as hasty as fans want him to be.
Kampf is a good fourth line center. I could see Kampf being moved next year just to free up salary but no way that he's getting moved this year.

And I agree, I don't think Minten sticks, I still like his potential but he doesn't look ready. I'm a Holmberg fan, I think he's very intelligent and plays responsible hockey, I'd give him a look at 3C first.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Klingberg is better than Holl. Bertuzzi is better than Bunting. Reaves is better than Simmonds. Domi is better than Kerfoot/Engvall(actually we started last year with Malgin there). Suggests we’re a better team. The league is moving towards deadline deals too, this defence will change come playoffs, this isn’t a static situation.

I‘m really encouraged.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2