Post-Game Talk: Auston Matthews Does It Again! | Leafs Win 7-4!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the team is playing bigger and more like a pack. You see that more with scrums after the whistle and guys seem to want to mix it up.

Having the toughest guy on the ice does that. If you have a few of them that won't back down the rest join in the fun because they know their big brother will bail them out. Team looks so much better as an actual hockey Team now.

Already love this team 100x more than anything Dubas put together.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don't know what some are talking about with regards to Minten. He looks like a full-fledged NHL in the play, in position, making good decisions. He's also holding his own in the faceoff circle.

Bertuzzi and Domi have been as advertised. Bertuzzi is very active, a bit erratic but positioning himself in the "dirty areas". Domi is skilled and likes to pass but sometimes a bit disinterested in the defensive end. I thought he was a better skater.

We've seen nothing but the good from Klingberg so far.

Kampf didn't have a good night.
Yeah I have seen a bunch of people talk about sending Minten down after his 9 games and I don’t agree.
Maybe it happens but so far he hasn’t looked too out of place. Some rookie mistakes but his line is generating chances and you can see he processes the game well. If he keeps this up and keeps improving I’d go past the 9 game mark. Then you need to decide if he is good enough to burn a year of service time.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Having the toughest guy on the ice does that. If you have a few of them that won't back down the rest join in the fun because they know their big brother will bail them out. Team looks so much better as an actual hockey Team now.

Agreed, this is the most likeable roster since 2017. If we can upgrade our defense and one of Woll/Samsonov prove to be a starter we should be able to go on a deep run

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Early days:
*im on board with Minten. Kid is smart. Keefe feels the same. Puts him out late in the 2nd and 3rd. Supports down low and recognizes O chances. Maybe not today, I think today (damn that kid), but he’s a contender for a 2C and a lock as a very good 3C. Fack, sucked in again.
*Klingberg, who knew? So far adequate D and very composed O.
*Structure was better tonight. PP, will be a weapon with the 2nd unit skill and I’ve enjoyed the reduced reliance on the drop pass.
*Knies is strong.
*Willy going strong and bringing ‘wow’.
*Reeves as advertised, so far a good thing.
*While not a fan fav, I’ve been impressed with JT.
*MM has a deadly ability to steal puck.
*AM…ok.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Couldn’t agree more.
It is not just hitting but the team is not backing away from challenges and cheap shots

Hey Hf mains, Matthews >>> your whole team, your mom, your dad, your dog, your hockey card collection, your dreams, your goals, your village, your woman, your soul....

Dx chop, dx chop, dx chop
Don’t think a lot will get the ref of DX chop

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
sammy gave a weak goal in a pretty bad moment... leafs just took a 4-1 lead and had full momemtum in their side and he allowed a no angle goal and giving back wild some live and energy. Minnesota score a second and got the momemtum for the rest of period. Its not a good start but at least contrairly than vs habs, he made some great save to help his team at least.
Have you noticed the number of goals that are shot from the blue line and are deflected in or the number that just seem like weird bounces? Sammy has to be more focussed and have better rebound control. I think he’ll be better but time to put Woll in net.

Reactions: authentic

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Matthews is hungry. The Leafs need to clean up their defence; but, I can't see it happening. This isn't going to work when goals dry up in the playoffs.
exactly.
They continue to let opponents run amok in the slot. I read a stat that said the Leafs gave up the most goals off rebounds of any team in the league last year-exactly what a non physical poke checking defence would do.
I look forward to Treviling adding the promised snarl to the back end-like you said, this “slot freedom” opponents enjoy has to stop for us to have any legitimate chance, especially come playoff time.

While Dubas was smart and a nice man, he never played the game and never brought us the toughness we need

Reactions: ktownhockey

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I don't know what some are talking about with regards to Minten. He looks like a full-fledged NHL in the play, in position, making good decisions. He's also holding his own in the faceoff circle.

Bertuzzi and Domi have been as advertised. Bertuzzi is very active, a bit erratic but positioning himself in the "dirty areas". Domi is skilled and likes to pass but sometimes a bit disinterested in the defensive end. I thought he was a better skater.

We've seen nothing but the good from Klingberg so far.

Kampf didn't have a good night.
I thought that Minten and Knies were a little tentative against the Hans but they both had a very good game tonight. Just keep improving each game and they’ll be fine.

Love the pack mentality this team is showing. Reaves has a lot to do with this, as do Domi and Bert. It makes the core 4 play with a bit more comfort. Very impressed with Klingbergs play, especially his passing. Another great pass that led to Nylander’s second goal.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not only that, but we are taking some cheap shots too... putting teams on notice that you can't do whatever you want is important. The whole kill'em with the power play thing made me f***ing gag.
100%. Really hope the boys can continue. Rather be the team to at known for cheap shot and rough to play against than just a skill team

Reactions: Duffman955

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad