Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
When Ovie won the MVPs he did it with ~55 goals
and ~105 points. He was also 2nd in points during those times he won it. It’s not impossible.
I recognize it is not impossible. I am just saying McDavid has more Primary points than Matthews has total points. I am sure Auston himself would agree that McDavid deserves to win the Hart. I love Auston as much as anyone on here, but there would be a massive controversy if Auston wins over Conner at this point in the season. Deservedly so. Who knows what happens in the next 6 games, although I am not expecting that gap to shrink. McDavid will win by a landslide, and it really speaks to the season he is having. Because Like everyone has posted in here, Matthews is having an MVP caliber season. Unfortunately there is only 1 winner. Auston should be very proud of what he has done though.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I recognize it is not impossible. I am just saying McDavid has more Primary points than Matthews has total points. I am sure Auston himself would agree that McDavid deserves to win the Hart. I love Auston as much as anyone on here, but there would be a massive controversy if Auston wins over Conner at this point in the season. Deservedly so. Who knows what happens in the next 6 games, although I am not expecting that gap to shrink. McDavid will win by a landslide, and it really speaks to the season he is having. Because Like everyone has posted in here, Matthews is having an MVP caliber season. Unfortunately there is only 1 winner. Auston should be very proud of what he has done though.

You are referring to this season specifically ! Then I agree McDavid wins it easily.

I was talking about a full season. If Matthews gets 60 goals and 100 points he could win it.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
You are referring to this season specifically ! Then I agree McDavid wins it easily.

I was talking about a full season. If Matthews gets 60 goals and 100 points he could win it.
Yes I am referring to this season. However if I were to prorate both players production over 82 games I'd still value what McDavid has done over what Matthews has done. I know its not popular on this board, but I can almost guarantee it be the popular thought league wide.

McDavid 82 game pace:
48 G + 96 A = 144pts

Matthews 82 game pace:
64G + 43A = 107Pts

I will admit it looks far closer when you prorate it. Mostly because of the 64 tucks. But I just can't see anyone losing a Hart who puts up that many pts. There would be absolute outrage in Leafs nation if the situations were reversed. No matter how many times he has won it or will win it, its the more impressive season IMO.

Hall was 6th in scoring when he won his.

Again, Its not just about pts. I've mention that. But when there is a gap as large as the one we are seeing from the top scorer (McDavid 84pts) to the next best (Draisatl 67 pts) you absolutely have to consider that. It is 30pt difference over a prorated 82 game season. Its absolutely bananas. Has to be acknowledged regardless of who you cheer for

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but he also had a 41 point lead on the 2nd highest scoring devil. Doubt that would ever be the case here.
yeah but Hall was the reason the Devils made their first playoff in 6 seasons. Mathews is the reason we may win a division for the first time in 21 years, plus if Mathews wins the Rocket which Hall didn't, Mathews will have had a better case than Hall did in 2018. Mathews has a case this year, I wouldn't be shocked.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Matthews will definitely get votes and wouldn't shock me if he finished in the top 3 but this goes to mcdavid this year imo hands down. Imagine what that Oilers team would be like without him... We've seen the leafs play without Matthews and they can get by and would be a playoff team. Mcdavid is just on a whole different level this season. Crazy how he's gotten better every year.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
yeah but Hall was the reason the Devils made their first playoff in 6 seasons. Mathews is the reason we may win a division for the first time in 21 years, plus if Mathews wins the Rocket which Hall didn't, Mathews will have had a better case than Hall did in 2018. Mathews has a case this year, I wouldn't be shocked.

"division"

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Matthews will definitely get votes and wouldn't shock me if he finished in the top 3 but this goes to mcdavid this year imo hands down. Imagine what that Oilers team would be like without him... We've seen the leafs play without Matthews and they can get by and would be a playoff team. Mcdavid is just on a whole different level this season. Crazy how he's gotten better every year.
Personally I give more weight to the guy that lead his team to a division title rather than a guy who got his team to the playoffs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
McDavid has fed off of the powerplay for 30 points. Marner and Matthews have 14 and 13 respectively. Same with Draisaitl, he’s fed off of-the Powerplay for 26 points.

Even strength Marner/ Matthews are just as good. Anyways

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
McDavid has fed off of the powerplay for 30 points. Marner and Matthews have 14 and 13 respectively. Same with Draisaitl, he’s fed off of-the Powerplay for 27 points
They both play in the same division and Mathews team was the better. Anyway Mathews has a case.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Imagine what they would be without Mike Smith, he should get votes based on Hart criteria, but he will be forgotten...

Reactions: CocoaDrink

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Yes I am referring to this season. However if I were to prorate both players production over 82 games I'd still value what McDavid has done over what Matthews has done. I know its not popular on this board, but I can almost guarantee it be the popular thought league wide.

McDavid 82 game pace:
48 G + 96 A = 144pts

Matthews 82 game pace:
64G + 43A = 107Pts

I will admit it looks far closer when you prorate it. Mostly because of the 64 tucks. But I just can't see anyone losing a Hart who puts up that many pts. There would be absolute outrage in Leafs nation if the situations were reversed. No matter how many times he has won it or will win it, its the more impressive season IMO.

Again, Its not just about pts. I've mention that. But when there is a gap as large as the one we are seeing from the top scorer (McDavid 84pts) to the next best (Draisatl 67 pts) you absolutely have to consider that. It is 30pt difference over a prorated 82 game season. Its absolutely bananas. Has to be acknowledged regardless of who you cheer for

60 goal scorer in season has only happened twice the last 2 decades (Ovie and Stamkos). It would be quite the feat for Matthews that might tip the voting scales towards him.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews will get votes for sure, and he should easily be 2nd in my opinion. But If McDavid doesn't win I'd be blown away. Usually there is more of a conversation at the end of the year for Hart. This year I think the discussion was ended about a month ago. McDavid is on another level. As a fan of hockey, you just have to appreciate greatness. I feel the same way about Matthews. I am in awe of what he does game in and game out. I just think Conner's season combined with his value to his team is insurmountable TBH. As was mentioned by myself and other posters, imagine what the oilers record would be sans McDavid. Lottery team potentially. He has the same amount of points as Nugent-Hopkins, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Kahun combined lol. All of those players have speant considerable amounts of time in the top 6 and PP. It's flat out remarkable. I don't care if he wins it 5 straight years after this one. This is not a trophy that needs to be evenly distributed year over year. He was the best player this year

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Saying what, Leafs power play sucks?
They have 10 more goals on their power play that the leafs and 14 more opportunities in two less games. They get more and get called less.. we are better offensively still. They are a pp team-we aren’t is what I’m sayyinnn

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McDavid has fed off of the powerplay for 30 points. Marner and Matthews have 14 and 13 respectively. Same with Draisaitl, he’s fed off of-the Powerplay for 26 points.

Even strength Marner/ Matthews are just as good. Anyways

There really isn't a penalty for scoring crazy amounts of PP points though. Kind of wish Marner and Matthews had padded their stats more and destroyed Vancouver and Ottawa every occasion we played them too.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There really isn't a penalty for scoring crazy amounts of PP points though. Kind of wish Marner and Matthews had padded their stats more and destroyed Vancouver and Ottawa every occasion we played them too.
The Leafs don't run their powerplay around getting Matthews/Marner as many points as possible. Maybe they should though

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not saying there is a penalty. I’m pointing out we are better 5vs5. You would never know it is that close in even strength points or that our pair out score them. Mainly the thinking is don’t take penalties against them and we look to have a edge in a series possibly.
Just a observation is all. Not something you will ever hear pointed out on sports media. Maybe it needs a big bold letter thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad