Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Your right. Their skills would have been developed differently so you never know. One thing though equipment and skillsets aside. If superstars of yesteryears and todays were allowed to skate and play the game to their strengths, what would their stats be?

We understand that playing styles and equipment will evolve. But not being touched and being allowed to play the game. Being protected. What would the stats read? Thats the question.

If you are referring to Gretzky here he was protected to an extent, but he was also really good at avoiding big hits. He was hacked and held and interfered with a lot and it went uncalled fairly often. I think he would have a lot more trouble in todays game, but watching the speed and intensity of some of the late 80s playoff games with Edmonton there's not much reason I can find that he wouldn't have adapted his game to be the best in the modern NHL, I just have trouble believing the gap between him and McDavid for instance would be close to the gaps he had on every player back then besides Lemieux.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I would disagree with you on the assessment. But we are entitled to our own opinions.

If Sid or Connor played in the Gretzky or Lemieux era they would be as good if not better when you factor in Sid and Connor's skating ability compared to the other two. If Ovechkin played in that era he would be the all time goals leader not Gretzky. How many goals did Gretzky score on a slapper from top of the circle coming down the wing? Now put Ovechkin or Matthews in that era with their shots!!!

Equipment aside its how the game is played today versus the past. Gretzky wasnt touched at all. If he was, the opponent was punished. When you have the ability to skate freely like Gretzky did, of course the points and goals will rack up.

Do not get me wrong, I still believe Gretzky is the best of all time and I was privileged to watch him and see him play. But had the players of today played in those eras, it would be interesting to see what stats they would be putting up. Much more is expected today of superstars then yesteryears. Gretzky's defensive game was below average, if Matthews or Crosby or MacKinnon or McDavid played defense like Gretzky today, they would be benched.

Its a different game.

Gretzky competed with players like Jagr and Bure, who both would for sure be top scorers in the NHL today. There is no reason to think Gretzky wouldn’t dominated even more now with the rule changes. Gretzky without a red line? Gimme a break, he would be ridiculous.

No one thought Gretzky could play in the NHL in the 80’s either.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He’s been deferring a lot of shots since his return which is worrisome. But he’s Auston Matthews and he’s earned the benefit of the doubt

Reactions: saffronleaf

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He's clearly still hurting. I expect off-season wrist surgery. I wish he'd just sit, we can still finish top-two in the division without him.

nah team has said it's not structural. if it was there's no way he'd be back playing this quickly. It's probably a fatigue or repetitive strain type of thing. tendinitis or whatnot.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Is there anything pointing to how he obtained the injury? The team said he's been dealing with it all season, but I'm not totally buying it with the way he was playing and shooting. It wasn't until that game when they showed him on the bench having his wrist taped up that he's looked off as well as missed a few games. Or at least then is when it was slightly re-aggravated and has been nagging him since.

He's still engaged physically, so he's not shying away from that. But it's obvious he's labouring with the amount of times he's looking to pass off and his shot not having the same zip to it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Is there anything pointing to how he obtained the injury? The team said he's been dealing with it all season, but I'm not totally buying it with the way he was playing and shooting. It wasn't until that game when they showed him on the bench having his wrist taped up that he's looked off as well as missed a few games. Or at least then is when it was slightly re-aggravated and has been nagging him since.
I believe what they said is that he's been dealing with an issue all season, but it was manageable - then it was worsened when he had that big fall into the boards in the Calgary game.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He's still engaged physically, so he's not shying away from that. But it's obvious he's labouring with the amount of times he's looking to pass off and his shot not having the same zip to it.

he sat out earlier in the season due to the wrist injury before he went on his big tear. So he definitely has had it all year.

looks off like he can’t shot. He needs to get back to his first year where he scored like only from in close to compete. Until it’s better. After this week we have like 2 5 day breaks so hopefully he fixes it then

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the status of Matthews is the biggest thing for the team right now. If he can get back to his usual self before the season is over then we're good. If not...well I'd rather not think about it.

For the time being Keefe might really need to rework his top 6. If Matthews' shot isn't there then you have two passers and few good shooting options. Might need to temporarily get Marner back with Tavares and Nylander up with Matthews. At least then you have guys that can shoot on both lines.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s been very noticeably off since returning from injury. Starting Tuesday we’ve got 4 games in 6 days, followed by 4 days off, then B2B games, followed by another 4 days off. If he’s not healthy, I wish they’d just sit him these next 4-6 games. 6 games would buy 18 days off, if there’s ever a good time to get him healthy it’s now, with these 2 big breaks in our schedule coming up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I put on my tinfoil hat for a moment, I think it's possible that the Leafs downplayed the severity of the injury caused solely by Rasmus Andersson, citing previous wrist issues. Maybe they did that to discourage teams from taking cheap shots on Matthews in order to discourage teams from making those attrition plays and laying the body, etc. You see other teams like Roussel on Vancouver bullying Matthews a bit out there, and without a good enforcer lite, we really don't have a guy who can retaliate and give Boeser and Hughes an especially rough ride.

The other possibility is he's just returning from injury and deferring to his teammates who were outstanding vs Edmonton and needs to get his rhythm and mojo back and take the bull by the horns.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyway, I hate seeing the abuse Matthews takes out there. He's a once in a century type talent and in order for us to preserve him we need more of a protector who will deter any two bit thug from being a tough guy and laying cross checks across the back, sticks to the wrist and other things like that. It's not progressive thinking, but any team that puts the bullseye on Matthews (or the other Big 4) should come to regret it immediately.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If I put on my tinfoil hat for a moment, I think it's possible that the Leafs downplayed the severity of the injury caused solely by Rasmus Andersson, citing previous wrist issues. Maybe they did that to discourage teams from taking cheap shots on Matthews in order to discourage teams from making those attrition plays and laying the body, etc. You see other teams like Roussel on Vancouver bullying Matthews a bit out there, and without a good enforcer lite, we really don't have a guy who can retaliate and give Boeser and Hughes an especially rough ride.

The other possibility is he's just returning from injury and deferring to his teammates who were outstanding vs Edmonton and needs to get his rhythm and mojo back and take the bull by the horns.
They have a guy on the left side who can step in, but hasn't done it yet this season.

He's not going to track down a guy like Hughes, but there's no reason he couldn't take on a fight with a Roussel/Milled type player

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They have a guy on the left side who can step in, but hasn't done it yet this season.

He's not going to track down a guy like Hughes, but there's no reason he couldn't take on a fight with a Roussel/Milled type player

I don't think Thornton is really that guy, but Simmonds is. Unfortunately both those guys have their own durability issues.

Wouldn't be the worst idea to revisit a Kyle Clifford type player on the low end. A lot of people don't like Tom Wilson, but I would love to have him on the Leafs. I feel like he's such a menace out there other teams will be on their toes and not necessarily looking to initiate any trouble.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think Thornton is really that guy, but Simmonds is. Unfortunately both those guys have their own durability issues.

Wouldn't be the worst idea to revisit a Kyle Clifford type player on the low end. A lot of people don't like Tom Wilson, but I would love to have him on the Leafs. I feel like he's such a menace out there other teams will be on their toes and not necessarily looking to initiate any trouble.
Wilson is a much different beast than Clifford.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Anyway, I hate seeing the abuse Matthews takes out there. He's a once in a century type talent and in order for us to preserve him we need more of a protector who will deter any two bit thug from being a tough guy and laying cross checks across the back, sticks to the wrist and other things like that. It's not progressive thinking, but any team that puts the bullseye on Matthews (or the other Big 4) should come to regret it immediately.

It's not progressive thinking but we need someone like Wilson who will have no issues in targeting the opposing star players' heads if one of their goons starts roughing up Matthews.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I 100% think it was that Andersson play. He may have had something nagging before that but it's been completely different since. He's hurt.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I believe what they said is that he's been dealing with an issue all season, but it was manageable - then it was worsened when he had that big fall into the boards in the Calgary game.
Mauled in to the boards by Andersson was my take on that. We are lucky it wasn’t worse. No call on it either.
This is the hit

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Isn't Simmonds the most obvious answer? He's got scoring touch, size, fighting skills and speed. Seems like a way better fit for the first line than Thornton to me even without the physical presence.

Reactions: Confucius

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mauled in to the boards by Andersson was my take on that. We are lucky it wasn’t worse. No call on it either.

Rasmus Andersson is a nasty customer who is really dangerous with his board work, like his boarding play on Stutzle. In the old days, a Gary Roberts/Darcy Tucker forecheck would lay an appropriate beating on him.

Like so:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad