Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Now that’s a bend...

171CF438-8EE1-460E-82FB-2A76C2565ECB.jpeg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My very uneducated, no inside sources guess is Matthews could miss a couple of games based on the way Andersen's "day to day" seems to be stretching into a week to week. But let's hope for the best.

As I had guessed, this day to day thing could be stretching out to a week minimum.

Don't like the cut of Andersson's jib. Dirty player:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
As I had guessed, this day to day thing could be stretching out to a week minimum.

Don't like the cut of Andersson's jib. Dirty player:

That whole team is so unlikeable, I'm glad they're stuck in mediocrity

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When I see that , I have more respect for player of past eras that were skilled scorers , Bossy and the Flower and so many others with their tree limb sticks and old school equipment and training ...
Bossy and flower those guys using the warped blade? Makes me appreciate the skill of the old players with the flat blade, Like Teeder, Apps and Conacher... ;). Just funnin with ya old timer.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Bossy and flower those guys using the warped blade? Makes me appreciate the skill of the old players with the flat blade, Like Teeder, Apps and Conacher... ;). Just funnin with ya old timer.
I know brotha , I know , but even in the 60s and 70s the sticks and equipment and nutrition and workout regiments and everything else that these athletes get now ( rightfully and wonderfully so ) there’s a appreciation for them and like you say going even further back to your examples , and that’s not even talking about the goalies ... unbelievable man , unbefrikenevable !
But today’s athletes and hockey players , wow they are incredible no question about it , but I still liked the hockey better at a slower more ball / street hockey speed that we kinda felt , hey we can do that !
But we certainly can’t say that now
No way I could ever do what these guys and girls do now.
And how special was it like to save up money to go out and get a beautiful wooden stick once a year if you where lucky , to go into a store and look at all those wooden sticks and pick one out ....to play on the street and show your buddies your new stick ahhhhhh now that was hockey day and night and week in Canada ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ER89 and Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I know brotha , I know , but even in the 60s and 70s the sticks and equipment and nutrition and workout regiments and everything else that these athletes get now ( rightfully and wonderfully so ) there’s a appreciation for them and like you say going even further back to your examples , and that’s not even talking about the goalies ... unbelievable man , unbefrikenevable !
But today’s athletes and hockey players , wow they are incredible no question about it , but I still liked the hockey better at a slower more ball / street hockey speed that we kinda felt , hey we can do that !
But we certainly can’t say that now
No way I could ever do what these guys and girls do now.
And his special was it like to save up money to go out and get a beautiful wooden stick once a year if you where lucky , to go into a store and look at all those wooden sticks and pick one out ....to play on the street and show your buddies your new stick ahhhhhh now that was hockey day and night and week in Canada ...
Funny I remember playing ball hockey with a new stick and trying to not let the stick touch the pavement. lol

Jul 10, 2003
KW
When I see that , I have more respect for player of past eras that were skilled scorers , Bossy and the Flower and so many others with their tree limb sticks and old school equipment and training ...

The size of goaltending equipment (and the goalies themselves) balances out that stick advantage though.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Matthews still scores as much if not more with a wooden stick if goalies had equipment that wasnt oversized. Who you kidding.
Yes, but does he get to wear 15lb shoulder pads after they get soaking wet?
And is he wearing 5lb skates that flop about the ankles as well?
Does he get to play-act a ski-surfing scene where he gets to play the power boat while one or two defensemen hook onto him like the ski-surfers?

We can't have half measures here.

I believe he would be among the best if we were transported into those eras and forced into the same rules and equipment, but I'm still unconvinced he would stand out like a Wayne or Mario. It's why those 2 especially, are just so mesmerizing.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Does he get to play-act a ski-surfing scene where he gets to play the power boat while one or two defensemen hook onto him like the ski-surfers?

I believe he would be among the best if we were transported into those eras and forced into the same rules and equipment, but I'm still unconvinced he would stand out like a Wayne or Mario. It's why those 2 especially, are just so mesmerizing.

I would disagree with you on the assessment. But we are entitled to our own opinions.

If Sid or Connor played in the Gretzky or Lemieux era they would be as good if not better when you factor in Sid and Connor's skating ability compared to the other two. If Ovechkin played in that era he would be the all time goals leader not Gretzky. How many goals did Gretzky score on a slapper from top of the circle coming down the wing? Now put Ovechkin or Matthews in that era with their shots!!!

Equipment aside its how the game is played today versus the past. Gretzky wasnt touched at all. If he was, the opponent was punished. When you have the ability to skate freely like Gretzky did, of course the points and goals will rack up.

Do not get me wrong, I still believe Gretzky is the best of all time and I was privileged to watch him and see him play. But had the players of today played in those eras, it would be interesting to see what stats they would be putting up. Much more is expected today of superstars then yesteryears. Gretzky's defensive game was below average, if Matthews or Crosby or MacKinnon or McDavid played defense like Gretzky today, they would be benched.

Its a different game.

Reactions: Confucius

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It's fair to say he would score a lot more in the seasons where every player scored a lot more. Most likely he would not be scoring close to 200 points if he grew up in the 60s and 70s, but around 70 goals would seem within reach.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I would disagree with you on the assessment. But we are entitled to our own opinions.

If Sid or Connor played in the Gretzky or Lemieux era they would be as good if not better when you factor in Sid and Connor's skating ability compared to the other two. If Ovechkin played in that era he would be the all time goals leader not Gretzky. How many goals did Gretzky score on a slapper from top of the circle coming down the wing? Now put Ovechkin or Matthews in that era with their shots!!!

Equipment aside its how the game is played today versus the past. Gretzky wasnt touched at all. If he was, the opponent was punished. When you have the ability to skate freely like Gretzky did, of course the points and goals will rack up.

Do not get me wrong, I still believe Gretzky is the best of all time and I was privileged to watch him and see him play. But had the players of today played in those eras, it would be interesting to see what stats they would be putting up. Much more is expected today of superstars then yesteryears. Gretzky's defensive game was below average, if Matthews or Crosby or MacKinnon or McDavid played defense like Gretzky today, they would be benched.

Its a different game.

I believe if Crosby or McDavid, or Matthews for that matter went back in time to the 1980s NHL, especially the early 80s, it goes without saying they would be by far the best players. Their overall skill level would simply be too much to contend with, even using the older equipment. If they were born back then though I really wonder how they would've done, although they would be very different players than they currently are. Cross era comparisons are not fair either way you look at them but they're fun to think about.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe if Crosby or McDavid, or Matthews for that matter went back in time to the 1980s NHL, especially the early 80s, it goes without saying they would be by far the best players. Their overall skill level would simply be too much to contend with, even with the relative disadvantage of using the older equipment. If they were born back then though I really wonder how they would've done, although they would be very different players than they currently are. Cross era comparisons are not fair either way you look at them but they're fun to think about.

Your right. Their skills would have been developed differently so you never know. One thing though equipment and skillsets aside. If superstars of yesteryears and todays were allowed to skate and play the game to their strengths, what would their stats be?

We understand that playing styles and equipment will evolve. But not being touched and being allowed to play the game. Being protected. What would the stats read? Thats the question.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Your right. Their skills would have been developed differently so you never know. One thing though equipment and skillsets aside. If superstars of yesteryears and todays were allowed to skate and play the game to their strengths, what would their stats be?

We understand that playing styles and equipment will evolve. But not being touched and being allowed to play the game. Being protected. What would the stats read? Thats the question.
Well for starters Mathews would get a penalty for playing with that broken stick. LOL! There is that.

Yeah the players are always getting better. Every now and then you get players ahead of their time but as the years go by they get passed. Athletes are always getting faster, stronger.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Have you seen the goalies they were shooting on? :D

If you haven’t , watch this tiny clip for a tiny bit of respect for not only Mr Bower but all goalies in that era and earlier
Also in case you weren’t aware ... Mr Glen Hall with over 500 plus games in a row without missing a game without a mask mostly
Go Leafs Go

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

If you haven’t , watch this tiny clip for a tiny bit of respect for not only Mr Bower but all goalies in that era and earlier
Also in case you weren’t aware ... Mr Glen Hall with over 500 plus games in a row without missing a game without a mask mostly
Go Leafs Go

Teeder...I LOVE hockey history and have the upmost respect for these men. I was just pointing out that the arms race on both sides make those sticks a requirement. If shooters couldn't get that extra velocity, we'd be watching 1 or 2 goal games most nights. Instead, we get 4 or 5.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Teeder...I LOVE hockey history and have the upmost respect for these men. I was just pointing out that the arms race on both sides make those sticks a requirement. If shooters couldn't get that extra velocity, we'd be watching 1 or 2 goal games most nights. Instead, we get 4 or 5.
I hold no Negative words for today’s hockey or the incredible athletes and players and the evolution of it or any sport .. I marvel at all of it .. and am in awe of the breakneck speed and agility and ability of all these players , it truly is a treat to watch how they can do the things they do at the speed they can do it with ...
again!
Just keeping it real ...

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Go Leafs Go

Imagine getting a Bobby Hull slapshot to the face?

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Imagine getting a Bobby Hull slapshot to the face?
I’ve always been blown away with any goalie that played without a mask , but watching that clip and watching Mr Bower not only save the puck while on his side on the ice , but actually stretch his neck out as to literally stop the puck with his face , that is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever watched in hockey , bar none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad