Player Discussion Austin Watson (LW) to Ottawa for 2021 4th

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pretty much this. Guys like Paquette, Anisimov, and Galchenyuk had no long term future here. We were bottom dwellers playing those guys and literally could not have gotten worse if we took a chance on a prospect that had been cooking.

Hopefully they don't repeat that type of move with any of our current prospects
We let him go. It’s ok, nothing happened. Maybe they figured nothing would happen, maybe it was a big oopsie.

But nothing happened, he’s about as missed as the rest of the guys on the list.

Maybe we could have traded him for a 4th instead, or maybe not. Can’t be worth holding on to either way can it?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm with you on this one. This is a good trade for a team who is playoff bound on an expiring contract. Not on a young and upcoming team with chock full of prospects that need time and development.

I guess we're seeing the team being molded into DJ's vision. This is what I was afraid of. DJ looks like a meathead, and now the team is slowly devolving into a bunch of "big rough tough guyz". Don't get me wrong, there needs to be a balance, but in today's NHL you need guys who can skate and have some skill. Not sure about you, but I'd rather see Balcers/Davidsson/Abramov over Watson. And yeah they have to earn their spot, but they also have to be given a fair chance. Do you think if the Balcers and Watson have equal camps they will sit Watson over Balcers? I'm not sure.

I think your off here. Watson has been a great acquisition for a young team that needed someone who would fight, block shots, hit to hurt, kill penalties, tap in a few etc.

Balcers would be useless on this team. I’m 100% confident in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think your off here. Watson has been a great acquisition for a young team that needed someone who would fight, block shots, hit to hurt, kill penalties, tap in a few etc.

Balcers would be useless on this team. I’m 100% confident in that.

Wow, looked like I touched a nerve and you are digging for some dirt.

Meh, I stand by it. He was the wrong addition at the wrong time. We had a number of meatheads at the time, another one was not needed. He's just a replaceable 4th liner. Forgettable.

Balcers would have been very useful. You know how I know? The team traded for basically Balcers in Dzingel later in the year because there was a hole on the third line.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Watson celebrates 4 years of sobriety. Congrats to Watson, its one huge bright spot in this frustrating season to see him hit 4 years of sobriety. Dude isn't a game changer, but he's been a warrior for us and if he's cool with it, I hope he can be sent to a contender for a chance at the cup

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Great in the lockeroom and has scored a few timely goals but he clearly can't keep up anymore.

Time to move on and have Gauthier replace him as a speedier option with more offensive potential.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Great in the lockeroom and has scored a few timely goals but he clearly can't keep up anymore.

Time to move on and have Gauthier replace him as a speedier option with more offensive potential.
I don't see Gauthier as a replacement for Watson's PK play or physical play.

Reactions: Senovision

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't see Gauthier as a replacement for Watson's PK play or physical play.

Watson is good on the PK but so are a lot of players.

I enjoyed most of his physical play but he's also pretty dirty imo and don't like the image he gives us as a team. I'm all for big hits but I think he crosses the line too often.

His footspeed is just awful and he's not an NHLer anymore, though he has a good shot.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I enjoyed most of his physical play but he's also pretty dirty imo and don't like the image he gives us as a team. I'm all for big hits but I think he crosses the line too often.
Really?

I can't imagine what you are thinking of to make this comment? I don't believe Watson has a reputation of being dirty at all, if anything he is a respected vet who plays hard and the right way.

That take seems so out there to me, can you explain further?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Really?

I can't imagine what you are thinking of to make this comment? I don't believe Watson has a reputation of being dirty at all, if anything he is a respected vet who plays hard and the right way.

That take seems so out there to me, can you explain further?

is this sarcastic? just off the top of my head I didn't like the hit on Motte at all, and there were at least 2 other borderline hits this year that I didn't really like seeing.He also got suspended for 2 games for a hit vs the Bruins last year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
is this sarcastic? just off the top of my head I didn't like the hit on Motte at all, and there were at least 2 other borderline hits this year that I didn't really like seeing.He also got suspended for 2 games for a hit vs the Bruins last year.
No, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Thanks for the references and thoughts to why you believe he is dirty.

I still don't agree but now I see your point of view.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
To me Watson is in no man's land in terms of 4th line enforcer types. I want one who is either:

A) Better at offensive and defensive hockey, and gets around the rink better.

or,

B)A scary good fighter. If we can find a younger Reaves type or someone like that I'd prefer that.

Watson scares no one and has lost a step (or step and a half). Time to move on.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
To me Watson is in no man's land in terms of 4th line enforcer types. I want one who is either:

or,

B)A scary good fighter. If we can find a younger Reaves type or someone like that I'd prefer that.

maybe a year or two away?

Tyler Boucher - Elite Prospects.png.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

or,

I would call him a grinder vs an enforcer.. He battles hard, plays hard, hits and will fight ..

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

or,

Watson was a good soldier, Sens most productive goal scorer on 4th line, best PKer and shot blocker on 4th line, as well as stuck up for teammates.
But as PD said, Watty wants a multi year deal, so all the best Austin.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I see Kastelic filling Watson's role, even though he's a centre. He's big, physical and will fight when he needs to (and might actually win one).
Kastelic might be able to take over Watson's 4rth line role; however, I do not think he can take on the bigger tougher players who can fight, such as Reaves, Wilson and others. I also do not think his skating is suited to the PK role; however there may be others on the team who can do that (Joseph, Kelly, Stutzle, Norris and perhaps Debrincat due to his quickness).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Watson is good on the PK but so are a lot of players.

His footspeed is just awful and he's not an NHLer anymore, though he has a good shot.
I have seen a lot of dirty hockey players over decades and Watson is not one that comes to mind when identifying dirty players.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I have seen a lot of dirty hockey players over decades and Watson is not one that comes to mind when identifying dirty players.

not saying he's the dirtiest player ever, but he's definitely not squeaky clean.

again, the hit on Motte and the suspension in 2022 were two dirty plays, and those are just off the top of my head.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
not saying he's the dirtiest player ever, but he's definitely not squeaky clean.

again, the hit on Motte and the suspension in 2022 were two dirty plays, and those are just off the top of my head.
Squeaky clean = Dave Keon. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad