Player Discussion Austin Watson (LW) to Ottawa for 2021 4th

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Balcers is totally forgetable ... but Watson fills a role as an enforcer when needed, blocks shots & plays a good defensive game including the PK & chips in offensively occassionally & he's a decent skater who can keep up to the play. I doubt the Sens re-sign him after this season given we have to make room for some of our better prospects for next season, but he was efficient while he was here.
ya lol at the crying for Balcers.

Reactions: topshelf15

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If there wasn't an omni-present need to portray Sens mgmt as royal buffoons, Balcers would be forgotten.
I was surprised the Balcers name came up at all, but it wasn't from the "portray the Sens management as buffoons" crowd that did this.

And, before anyone goes there, I don't give a rats behind about Balcers. Just found some irony in the current discussions.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I like Watson, when he's doing his thing, he's a shot blocking machine. However, I thought I few players out played him for his 4th line role.

I'd rather have:
Crookshank - Kastelic - Brassard

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Balcers is totally forgetable ... but Watson fills a role as an enforcer when needed, blocks shots & plays a good defensive game including the PK & chips in offensively occassionally & he's a decent skater who can keep up to the play. I doubt the Sens re-sign him after this season given we have to make room for some of our better prospects for next season, but he was efficient while he was here.
Watson's been the perfect soldier traded for on the perfect length contract for us. Sure he's not McGrattan at fighting but let's not forget that a lot of middleweight rats also ducked fighting McGrattan.

Instead, Watson gave us acceptable defensive play, PK, shot blocking, hitting, fighting, and forechecking, which the Senators lacked the last 2-3 years. He also gave us decent depth scoring with ~10 goals - nothing to scoff at coming from your 4RW.

Hope man can have a big year with so much firepower down our lineup and snag a retirement contract elsewhere.

His domestic abuse history is probably the only reason we got him so cheap. Not sure how to feel about that in itself but the marriage seems to be on going so have to imagine he's grown from it. In the context of current climate though, hard to juts brush off, considering I mock the Habs for Mailloux.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I like Watson on our 4th line, but let's be real. He's forgettable too. A couple years after he's gone, no one will remember that Watson played in the early 2020's for the Sens.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Watson on our 4th line, but let's be real. He's forgettable too. A couple years after he's gone, no one will remember that Watson played in the early 2020's for the Sens.
He's a clear step up from guys like the Kassasin, and Konopka, but not in the league of a guy like Carkner or even Boro,

Balcers is probably about as memorable as Bobby Butler but without the allure of catching fire on Spezza's wing...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Balcers is probably about as memorable as Bobby Butler but without the allure of catching fire on Spezza's wing...
Balcers is the poster boy for fans overvaluing their own team's prospects. (I fell into this trap with Wolanin, I admit.)

As for Watson, he doesn't have to play every game. We dress and play him on nights when we need a tougher lineup. I'd be happy to see Gambrell (who was a needless signing) waived and sent to Belleville, and see us rotate guys through our bottom six...

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Watson actually has a role on this team which he played well & contributed where as Balcers was just another cup of coffee prospect. Watson has played here long enough for people to remember him much more so than Balcers who most fans have no idea who he is. This is your typical narative to down play a player whose role you don't like. Having said that though I don't expect Watson will be re-signed given his age & believe Kastelic will take on that role after this yr.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Watson actually has a role on this team which he played well & contributed where as Balcers was just another cup of coffee prospect. Watson has played here long enough for people to remember him much more so than Balcers who most fans have no idea who he is. This is your typical narative to down play a player whose role you don't like. Having said that though I don't expect Watson will be re-signed given his age & believe Kastelic will take on that role after this yr.

lol, the only narrative that is being added is by you. Like I already said that I like what Watson brings. I wish he was a better fighter, but he's a pretty generic 4th liner. A generic 4th liner that will be forgotten a couple years after he's gone. Don't think he'll retire as a Sen, get a ring of honour mention or number put up in the rafters.

He's a clear step up from guys like the Kassasin, and Konopka, but not in the league of a guy like Carkner or even Boro,

Well, I remember Bobby Butler. But I agree that he's a step up. I'm not trying to minimize Watson. As mentioned I like him in general, but he's going to be quickly forgotten just like Balcers.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Well, I remember Bobby Butler. But I agree that he's a step up. I'm not trying to minimize Watson. As mentioned I like him in general, but he's going to be quickly forgotten just like Balcers.
He may very well never be remembered as a big part of this team, but when it comes to improving our current roster, I would argue improving 4RW is barely in our top 10 of most pressing needs/priorities.

Tier 1:
1) Resign Zub or acquire replacing top 4 D
2) Acquire another top 4 D

Tier 2:
3) Improve D depth > Zaitsev as 7D
4) Trade Zaitsev

Tier 3:
5) Figure out goaltending
6) Figure out Formenton

Tier 4:
7) Resign/figure out ADB
8) Improve 4LW
9) Improve 4RW?

Reactions: God Says No

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
lol, the only narrative that is being added is by you. Like I already said that I like what Watson brings. I wish he was a better fighter, but he's a pretty generic 4th liner. A generic 4th liner that will be forgotten a couple years after he's gone. Don't think he'll retire as a Sen, get a ring of honour mention or number put up in the rafters.

Nobody has said anything about Watson retiring as a Sen, ring of honour or number up in the rafters, there you go again with your own little exagerated narative. He's been better than Balcers, much better in the role that he played, that's all that was said.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Nobody has said anything about Watson retiring as a Sen, ring of honour or number up in the rafters, there you go again with your own little exagerated narative. He's been better than Balcers, much better in the role that he played, that's all that was said.

Uh, it's only you who is exaggerating. We're talking about forgettability:
This is a helluva lot of emotion for two guys who are bottom tier NHLers. Balcers and Watson are both totally forgetable.

Both are forgettable. Keep up little buddy!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I didn't see any words that suggested a "narrative" from the poster you replied to.

It seems like there's a need to take sides and/or see things in a binary "for" or "against" way. Something more nuanced is not possible it seems.

Reactions: God Says No

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Watson brings pain to other teams line up . So much pain that they may understand our pain one day

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ya lol at the crying for Balcers.

I don't think it has ever been the problem...

The problem was :

The thing that is still not understood or completely overlooked was that the Sens pro scouting decided that it was a better hockey decision to waive 23 y/o Rudolfs Balcers and not any of Cedric Paquette, Artem Anisimov or Alex Galchenyuk... (Habs waived Corey Perry but we wouldn't waive Cedric freaking Paquette? He didn't even want to be in Ottawa!)

A decision like that (which happened at the same time as a 2nd round pick for Derek 6.5 AAV Stepan and several other puzzling moves) is scary enough to make you lose total trust in that group of decision makers.

If they let go someone like Angus Crookshank in favor of keeping someone like Dylan Gambrell or Austin Watson, I will have the same criticism

Last edited:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I don't mind Watson when he is blocking shots and playing gritty. But him smiling constantly like he's going to do something to someone has got old when he consistently gets thrown to the ice first every fight he's in. I like that he's willing and appears to be fearless, you have to back it up when you're that confident about yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't mind Watson when he is blocking shots and playing gritty. But him smiling constantly like he's going to do something to someone has got old when he consistently gets thrown to the ice first every fight he's in. I like that he's willing and appears to be fearless, you have to back it up when you're that confident about yourself.
It’s more like the agitator smile, like Ruutu, less the Chris Neil smile, where he’s telling you you’re lucky the refs got in the way.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It’s more like the agitator smile, like Ruutu, less the Chris Neil smile, where he’s telling you you’re lucky the refs got in the way.
Not as intimating knowing Neil would cave your face in and Ruutu would bite you. lol

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't think it has ever been the problem...

The problem was :

The thing that is still not understood or completely overlooked was that the Sens pro scouting decided that it was a better hockey decision to waive 23 y/o Rudolfs Balcers and not any of Cedric Paquette, Artem Anisimov or Alex Galchenyuk... (Habs waived Corey Perry but we wouldn't waive Cedric freaking Paquette? He didn't even want to be in Ottawa!)

A decision like that (which happened at the same time as a 2nd round pick for Derek 6.5 AAV Stepan and several other puzzling moves) is scary enough to make you lose total trust in that group of decision makers.

If they let go someone like Angus Crookshank in favor of keeping someone like Dylan Gambrell or Austin Watson, I will have the same criticism
Pretty much this. Guys like Paquette, Anisimov, and Galchenyuk had no long term future here. We were bottom dwellers playing those guys and literally could not have gotten worse if we took a chance on a prospect that had been cooking.

Hopefully they don't repeat that type of move with any of our current prospects

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty much this. Guys like Paquette, Anisimov, and Galchenyuk had no long term future here. We were bottom dwellers playing those guys and literally could not have gotten worse if we took a chance on a prospect that had been cooking.

Hopefully they don't repeat that type of move with any of our current prospects

Not only they didn't have a future but so many bad roster decisions like this made us pretty weak overall (Stepan, Gudbranson, Josh Brown, Zaitsev playing 1st pairing minutes, etc, etc)

The only reasoning I came up with for that horrendous 2020-21 offseason was that we really wanted to TANK.

But then, why did we select Tyler Boucher with a 10th OA pick? I just don't get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad