Confirmed with Link: Aube-Kubel claimed by Avalanche

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
13th/14th forwards tend to be guys like Thompson, not good enough to start, too old to send to the AHL to develop, and good enough in the clubhouse (not a marginal player who feels he's been shafted by being denied ice time).

Same with Seeler and Brown.

These are guys you can throw in for a couple games and get a decent performance, but common sense says you don't use them as replacements for long-term injuries.

The problem for Fletcher is as injuries mount up, he hasn't had the "reserve army of the AHL employed," that is, prospects on the verge of the NHL who could be called up for a couple weeks, given the NHL experience, then sent down when the injured players returned.

They thought NAK, Twarynski, Bunnaman, Vorobyev, Kase would be those guys, mid-round picks with limited upside but enough skill to be decent on the 4th line. Unfortunately, most were fails, though Bunnaman and NAK gave them a couple good months in 2019-20. Then in 2020-21 they both regressed. The others weren't even good enough to keep around.

Willman may be one of those guys, MacEwen is one of these guys, they're hoping Rubtsov and Sushko may end up those guys, same with Hogberg and Wylie.

Frost and Zamula are a bit different, Frost is a top nine prospect, they really want him to succeed when they promote him, same with Zamula as a top 4. They don't want to do what they did with Sanheim, who was promoted too fast and wasted half a season.

Are they being too cautious? Probably. At some point you have to throw your top prospects into the Frey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thompson was never, at any point, a 13/14 guy.

I mean sure, they could be guys like Thompson, though generally you don't want them to be league-worst at their position. But that's not what he is; he simply isn't the 13th/14th forward. From the moment he was signed, he was glued to the 4C spot. That's what he was brought in for, not to be an extra forward. From the moment Brassard was signed, he was glued to the 3C spot at minimum. There was never any way that Frost or any young player would be in those positions. They were locked off immediately. They still are. There was nothing they could do to earn those spots, either.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Authentic Fans when defending the staff, Thompson, Brown, MacEwen, Risto, and Seeler.

hk54ti5n6tk11.png

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
No, they felt he would be their go-to 4C. It's well past time to abandon the pressbox delusions. It was never in the cards for Thompson. All their words and actions make this crystal clear.

It's not great that the only way you can defend the team on this is to completely ignore how they actually act and think to construct this total fiction.
He was injured and still was penciled in the lineup before the season starts. But lets ignore facts to beat the org is flawless drum a little more.

THOMPSON was a planned upgrade for the team. He was signed on the first FA day. The signing was praise by Couts as a very important Addition. Same with yandle. STOP KIDDING YOURSELF AND OPEN YOUR EYES

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Minimum wage guys never have any job security, because they're easily waived without cap implications.
Someone like Bonino, who got $2M, would have been a commitment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK will be back in Philly on 12/6.

Look for him to play with his pants on fire, have some great shifts as a forechecker, then commit two stupid penalties that lead to the game winning goal for the Flyers. :thumbu:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll at least defend MacEwan as a 12-13f. Not glowing just competent.
Nate, Brown, Seeler have no business playing in the NHL.
Risto has looked better but Hart is covering up a ton of his errors.

It's hard not to like MacEwen. He's actually good in his role, has decent hands, and a decent shot. Actually feel bad for him that he is glued to Thompson.

Would like to see a MacEwen - Brassard - Allison 4th line later in the season.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There is nothing surprising about Brassard falling off, I predicted that from game 1, even Brassard has said he's more suited to LW than C at this point in his career.

But he outplayed Frost in TC by a wide margin (heck, Desnoyers did more in one game than Frost in three). So it made sense to ride him as long as they could with Hayes out.

Frost should be up, but my expectations for him are limited, I just don't see "it" watching him play. Hopefully, over time the game will slow for him and he'll become a consistent playmaker and scorer, but I don't expect it this season.

I'm more excited by Desnoyers, watching him destroy the Q, a hard nosed two way center with a scoring knack may be just what the doctor ordered for this franchise, since Laczynski is starting to look like another false hope and JOB???
Excuse me here DH but this is where Vigneault shows himself to be a full of crap coach. No one in their right mind would have seen Brassard as being more than a fill in at center for more than a couple of games.
To read what was going on in TC as a barometer of where things should go for the season is a stupid move. There was no look at the long term on AV's part (probably because he's on the hot seat to get fired). Frost, Willman and York should have been kept and developed in Philly. At least they aren't slow and deficient in play. Thompson and the slugs are the reason that the club doesn't score and is playing uninspiring hockey.
Giving Frost, Willman and York NHL time in the early season would pay dividends later on in the year when they had NHL games under their belt. But then again, AV probably hasn't seen them play that much oor watched tape of their past performances to see how they could have fit the club now. Sure these young guys would make mistakes; possibly cost a game or so but it isn't like Thompson and the slugs are on a scoring tear and exciting the fans with their play.
It's time for Fletcher to step in and stop this nonsense. Bring up the younger guys. If AV can't figure out a way to get them to play well, then he is the one that has to go. And he can take Thompson, Yandl and a couple others along with him. What is on the ice right now sure isn't entertaining. If Hart wasn't saving their bacon with great play, they'd be a sub .500 club sputtering towards the lower end of the standings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is Bellemare being remembered as someone this organization let get away?

He was a good 4th liner for the Flyers and then became one of the better 4th liners in the NHL with Vegas. Now he's with Tampa Bay. We lost him in the expansion draft though so it's hard to really be mad at the Flyers for that one.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
5x5 SVA
Bunnaman, Raffl, NAK, 83 minutes, CF 53.95%, xGF 49.80
Laughton, Raffl, NAK, 88 minutes, CF 49.46%, xGF 48.28
Raffl, NAK, other, 80 minutes, CF 52.12%, xGF 47.51%

NAK w/o Raffl, 289 minutes, CF 48.99%, xGF 45.87%
Raffl w/o NAK, 131 minutes, CF 41.65%, xGF 38.89%
Team without either, 2044, CF 51.46%, xGF 51.00%
is this worse than our current 4th numbers asking for a friend

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He was a good 4th liner for the Flyers and then became one of the better 4th liners in the NHL with Vegas. Now he's with Tampa Bay. We lost him in the expansion draft though so it's hard to really be mad at the Flyers for that one.
No I mean are people pretending like he wasn't hated around here when he was here? I remember people saying he was the worst player in the NHL and were shocked he was taken in the ED.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think you're confusing Bellemare and VandeVelde. :laugh:
No it was both of them. I can't find the ED thread from Vegas but if someone can the posts I'm sure will talk about how shocking it was they chose him because of how bad he was. Perhaps I am remembering wrong but I do not remember people liking PEG at all while he was here other than maybe the first handful of games.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
No I mean are people pretending like he wasn't hated around here when he was here? I remember people saying he was the worst player in the NHL and were shocked he was taken in the ED.
i remember people hating VDV. Bellmare i am sure took heat as well. But VDV was crap and the coment was every bellmare needs his VDV to bring them down

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
No it was both of them. I can't find the ED thread from Vegas but if someone can the posts I'm sure will talk about how shocking it was they chose him because of how bad he was. Perhaps I am remembering wrong but I do not remember people liking PEG at all while he was here other than maybe the first handful of games.
i think you are probably right. But it was VDV who was crap. and those who thought it was both probably woke up after watching him play for other teams with out VDV. I loved bellmare. thought he was extreme effective in his role and needed better line mates

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Bellemare was NEVER disliked here as much as VDV. He had some supporters (myself included) and some detractors like a lot of 4th liners (NAK comes to mind). Everyone hated VDV. He wasn't half the player Bellemare was.

I think we were all surprised Bellemare was selected because Raffl was also available. That was who we were expecting to lose. He was much better at the time.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bellemare was NEVER disliked here as much as VDV. He had some supporters (myself included) and some detractors like a lot of 4th liners (NAK comes to mind). Everyone hated VDV. He wasn't half the player Bellemare was.

I think we were all surprised Bellemare was selected because Raffl was also available. That was who we were expecting to lose. He was much better at the time.
Oh yeah, PEB was never anywhere near as hated as VDV, don't get me wrong on that. VDV is probably the most hated guy I can recall except maybe AMac (or Homer). But I do not recall anyone saying anything nice about PEB while he was here. He wasn't the focal point of all the hate that VDV was, but I recall him being on the shitlist and called the worst player in the NHL and things of that nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad