Confirmed with Link: Aube-Kubel claimed by Avalanche

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Some of the younger players stagnated or failed to handle adversity, especially in the bubble with limited family support and flawed practice facilities.

They countered it by going more Veteran and adding personalities with a reputation of being good glue guys this season.
Brassard as the placeholder for Hayes has worked out well. Yandle had some ups and downs but is still quietly effective as a low cost option.

Thompson is the only one who really annoys me because he offers little skill and whatever he brings to the locker room can't make up for his poor performance on the ice.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Brassards sole accomplishment was being on the same line as two guys who were shooting >30%

He’s done nothing otherwise. Although that’s a decent fill-in for Hayes, since he helps very little too
Brassard is this years Gustafsson. Had a heater of a first game/start to season and then people forgot about that because deep down he was awful.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is nothing surprising about Brassard falling off, I predicted that from game 1, even Brassard has said he's more suited to LW than C at this point in his career.

But he outplayed Frost in TC by a wide margin (heck, Desnoyers did more in one game than Frost in three). So it made sense to ride him as long as they could with Hayes out.

Frost should be up, but my expectations for him are limited, I just don't see "it" watching him play. Hopefully, over time the game will slow for him and he'll become a consistent playmaker and scorer, but I don't expect it this season.

I'm more excited by Desnoyers, watching him destroy the Q, a hard nosed two way center with a scoring knack may be just what the doctor ordered for this franchise, since Laczynski is starting to look like another false hope and JOB???

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
There is nothing surprising about Brassard falling off, I predicted that from game 1, even Brassard has said he's more suited to LW than C at this point in his career.

But he outplayed Frost in TC by a wide margin (heck, Desnoyers did more in one game than Frost in three). So it made sense to ride him as long as they could with Hayes out.

Frost should be up, but my expectations for him are limited, I just don't see "it" watching him play. Hopefully, over time the game will slow for him and he'll become a consistent playmaker and scorer, but I don't expect it this season.

I'm more excited by Desnoyers, watching him destroy the Q, a hard nosed two way center with a scoring knack may be just what the doctor ordered for this franchise, since Laczynski is starting to look like another false hope and JOB???

Morgan Frost was a first round pick a year before Farabee was picked. I just don't think Frost was a smart draft choice by the Flyers. He's small, and his abilities in the big league are very limited. He also seems to have the injury bug. There is another 1st round pick in the Flyers system who will never become a full time NHL player, Sam Morin.
Is it the scouting staff at fault with these bad picks, or is choosing these players only a crap shoot? I'm tired of seeing the top picks for the Flyers become a bust.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
NAK is currently on the 3rd line with Jost and Newhook. Putting him with some
skill and letting him be a puck-seeking missile, with finish, worked pretty well here.

I'll still say: his puck poise is underrated. He doesn't treat it like a grenade. A lot of times he'd look for controlled exits or cycles recently would fail simply because no one was open, or could do anything with the puck, or expected it in Vigneault's system. The irony that he was the best chip and chaser on the team by a mile....

He could also do the Detroit Pick where he gets in the way so a teammate can get the puck. Really useful if you're obsessed with dump and chase, but what do we need that for?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t think it’s a lack of effort thing with Thompson. He’s just a 37 year old guy who’s been past his expiration date for like five years now.

I blame the front offices who keep trotting him out there at this point. Especially ours who have given him two opportunities now.

You can be 37 years old, washed up, but not a lazy piece of shit like Thompson. Just watch him PK. He doesn't even attempt to apply pressure, yet the coachs just look on approvingly. I agree that it's mostly on front office and coaching but if this guy had any pride he would hang them up. My guess is he snorted most of his earnings a few years back though so now he has to hang on to his NHL career and as long as possible even if he knows he's detrimental.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still rather have MacEwen.
One of the Flyers biggest issues since Simmons left is net front presence, especially 5x5.
Too many unscreened shots.
MacEwen looks like he's willing to go to the blue paint.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Damn. He couldn’t even get on the Phantoms top PP.

Got on the Flyers though. People probably forget that. But people probably can’t even remember anything beyond that interference on Mark *spit* Friedman.

One of the Flyers biggest issues since Simmons left is net front presence, especially 5x5.

Which of his 1 goals convinced you?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Always liked NAK, hope he does well.

I think in Philly it became more of a numbers game too... he's behind Atkinson, TK, and whomever was on the 3rd line... JVR/Farabee/Lindblom.

Carpe diem, NAK.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

They play a 2-3 in the OZ and have since AV came in, same time as Simmonds left.

So there is actually, tactically, almost never a set net-front guy to start at 5v5 until the 3rd forward rotates round and the point man steps up. Then one of the wingers flys by the net and sets as other one moves to slot.

The idea is that no-one is really stationary net-front, a winger goes there, he engages Dman, then as puck moves usually slides across or back into slot.

It is a pretty nice OZ set that keeps opposition Dmen moving... BUT actually requires zone time to work in terms of activating the D. Unless have 5+ seconds in OZ with puck control then no real option to have a "netfront" guy. (and even then he is a "fly-by" as opposed to set.)

It is pretty much by design. And CAN work when can get puck possession and cycle. Because that is its strength. And when puck in close? And Dman up? At least 2 forwards will crash the net on rebounds... but not actually be "traditional" net front guys. More a screen in slot that can crash as opposed to actual net front.

Which is why when Flyers are set up they have some of best shot locations in the NHL. Because it does engender shots from slot and in close with regularity once set up... but have to set first.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They play a 2-3 in the OZ and have since AV came in, same time as Simmonds left.

So there is actually, tactically, almost never a set net-front guy to start at 5v5 until the 3rd forward rotates round and the point man steps up. Then one of the wingers flys by the net and sets as other one moves to slot.

The idea is that no-one is really stationary net-front, a winger goes there, he engages Dman, then as puck moves usually slides across or back into slot.

It is a pretty nice OZ set that keeps opposition Dmen moving... BUT actually requires zone time to work in terms of activating the D. Unless have 5+ seconds in OZ with puck control then no real option to have a "netfront" guy. (and even then he is a "fly-by" as opposed to set.)

It is pretty much by design. And CAN work when can get puck possession and cycle. Because that is its strength. And when puck in close? And Dman up? At least 2 forwards will crash the net on rebounds... but not actually be "traditional" net front guys. More a screen in slot that can crash as opposed to actual net front.

Which is why when Flyers are set up they have some of best shot locations in the NHL. Because it does engender shots from slot and in close with regularity once set up... but have to set first.
Something plus transition players would really help. Wonder where we could find one of those. At least they have Seeler back, dumped that cooked bum Ghost, and traded Jake for a bona fide sniper

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux 41, Atkinson and TK 38, JVR 35, Couts 33.
Yes, he is a sniper.
Farabee only has 21 shots, he needs to be shooting more.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So we lost NAK, Ghost and Friedman, players who will be in other teams line-ups, if not always, consistently... And we are actually negative in return for them

losing Ghost sucks. . Friedman cannot stay in the lineup in Pittsburgh. We will see how it goes with NAK.
I think people would of lost their shit if NAK was put on the PP top unit here. Looks like he will get a look in Colorado. I wish the guy well. Hope he makes the most of it

Reactions: Sombastate

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You can be 37 years old, washed up, but not a lazy piece of shit like Thompson. Just watch him PK. He doesn't even attempt to apply pressure, yet the coachs just look on approvingly. I agree that it's mostly on front office and coaching but if this guy had any pride he would hang them up. My guess is he snorted most of his earnings a few years back though so now he has to hang on to his NHL career and as long as possible even if he knows he's detrimental.

I just don’t think it’s an effort thing. I think it’s a lack of ability thing.

If someone keeps offering you six figure deals every year it’s probably hard to turn down especially when you were never a big money earner to begin with.

So I don’t blame him for that either. I blame the organization 100%.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I just don’t think it’s an effort thing. I think it’s a lack of ability thing.

If someone keeps offering you six figure deals every year it’s probably hard to turn down especially when you were never a big money earner to begin with.

So I don’t blame him for that either. I blame the organization 100%.

He was a good 4th liner too who had a nice career, if we had ~2010-2016 Thompson? No complaints as was a solid player... but on merit? Should probably have been out of league at age 34 or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad