Atlantic division teams leading 3 of 4 current divisions

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How many teams in your division played in the 2nd round last yr?

I'll switch divisions with you all day.

Panthers have TB and DAL who were in the Finals this past year.
Also CAR who have been to the ECF, further than COL the last 3-4 years.

COL is likely the most overrated team in the league.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Floridas division definitely has some good teams in it. It's a bit surprising how well they are doing, maybe they can keep it up.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Minnesota had the absolute worst goaltending in the league last year. They allowed something like 45 goals over xga. Dubnyk is gone and Stalock is on waivers
I don’t disagree. I’m just responding to a poster who is moving the goal posts around and trying to use last year’s results to judge this years teams.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Out of the 5 north teams, only 1 made it to the 2nd round. That is awful. And this year, only the playoff results matter since that is interdivisional. Good luck when you face someone outside of the north.
Lol you do love to move the goal posts around don’t you.
Last years regular season was interdivisional too and the teams in the North were better than the teams in the Pacific on average.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
well when a division removes 2 of the top teams in the league and one is defensing SC champ, is this a massive surprise?

Oh...and the Flyers have a better % than Boston does.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lol you do love to move the goal posts around don’t you.
Last years regular season was interdivisional too and the teams in the North were better than the teams in the Pacific on average.

I would gladly join the north division.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's not how that works, I can tell you right now the Leafs are better than the Sabres, the fact that they don't play them this year does not matter
Few should argue with that.

But are the Leafs better than Boston, Wash, Philly and Pitt....all who had more pts than the Leafs last year and all who have to play each other in the same division this year.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
But I thought you couldn’t judge against your own if you haven’t played them?

I don't need to play the AHL to know I have easier competition in the AHL.

But seriously, this schedule with no interdivisional games makes it almost impossible to judge against non divisional teams. We have to wait till the playoffs when the North team gets destroyed and invalidated.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London

But seriously, this schedule with no interdivisional games makes it almost impossible to judge against non divisional teams. We have to wait till the playoffs when the North team gets destroyed and invalidated.
And if the North team wins I guarantee you won't admit they are better. The homers on this site are brutal.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

So by you own admission if the team that comes out of the Pacific division doesn’t make the Stanley Cup finals the entire division is invalidated?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Now that is kinda funny. But I think that is what fans from the Atlantic division have been saying for a few years. The top of the division is very good and the bottom is bad. Not a super deep division but one that is brutally tough at the top end

This is what every fan of every team in every division has said. Then to add more fun, you poke Leafs fans a couple times because the team can't win in the playoffs. SOP.

Reactions: cyris

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

Contradicting yourself in the same post. That is impressive

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Colorado is allowing the 2nd fewest shots in the league and is 4th in shots for. You really want to bet MacKinnon & Co. are going to be snakebit for the rest of the season and playoffs?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Do you get like 1.5 Stanley Cups for winning it from a hard division or something? Otherwise I fail to see why I would be upset about being in a weak division.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Two divisions now.

No one ever argued that the Lightning and Bruins were anything but top tier clubs over the last, oh, five years.

The argument was always that the bottom five teams in the Atlantic were putrid, and then that the Leafs were a pretender at No. 3 that had offensive pop but no idea how to shift gears to succeed in the playoffs. The jury is still out on that score.

This year's Leafs team seems to be both improved, as far as its overall game is concerned, and its competition in the North is not very good. It's a little of both.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Colorado is allowing the 2nd fewest shots in the league and is 4th in shots for. You really want to bet MacKinnon & Co. are going to be snakebit for the rest of the season and playoffs?

TB was 19th in shots for and 12th in shots against last year
LA was 4th in shots for and 5th in shots against last year.

One of them won the Cup and one of them finished 4th last in points %
Weird choice of stats (shots) to try and dictate the future.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Two divisions now.

No one ever argued that the Lightning and Bruins were anything but top tier clubs over the last, oh, five years.

The argument was always that the bottom five teams in the Atlantic were putrid, and then that the Leafs were a pretender at No. 3 that had offensive pop but no idea how to shift gears to succeed in the playoffs. The jury is still out on that score.

This year's Leafs team seems to be both improved, as far as its overall game is concerned, and its competition in the North is not very good. It's a little of both.

As a Leaf fan this is a good way to look at it. Even for us fans the team needs to prove it to us as well.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
TB was 19th in shots for and 12th in shots against last year
LA was 4th in shots for and 5th in shots against last year.

One of them won the Cup and one of them finished 4th last in points %
Weird choice of stats (shots) to try and dictate the future.

The Kings had the second worst shooting percentage in the league and their offensive talent isn’t close to ours. The Avs have been a team that could beat you with goaltending and hitting the back of the net at a higher rate for several years now. This is the first time the shot and possession data is exploding. We’ve also had our lowest shooting percentage since ‘16-17. If those numbers trend up, just a little bit, the Avs are going to rocket up the standings.

So if you want to bet on MacKinnon shooting 7.1% the rest of the year, be my guest.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Weird that a thread about 3 of the 4 divisions being led by someone from the Atlantic devolved into a North division bash thread
I’m quite sure that many of my fellow Leaf fans are quite happy to have a year break from knowing we will have to match up against either Tampa Bay or Boston in the first round. Back to the grind next year

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Kings had the second worst shooting percentage in the league and their offensive talent isn’t close to ours. The Avs have been a team that could beat you with goaltending and hitting the back of the net at a higher rate for several years now. This is the first time the shot and possession data is exploding. We’ve also had our lowest shooting percentage since ‘16-17. If those numbers trend up, just a little bit, the Avs are going to rocket up the standings.

So if you want to bet on MacKinnon shooting 7.1% the rest of the year, be my guest.

Could care less about debating of shots for/against.
You brought it up, I showed you how misleading that stat can be with LA and TB as an example.

Every year, there's a few teams who over/underachieve and throw in a wrench into most peoples' prediction of the standings at the start of the year.
I can see COL passing STL and battling with VGK for 1st but can also see people shocked teams like FLA, MIN and CHI are doing good. Maybe STL and MIN hold their own and make it hard for COL to get 2nd or 3rd?
Teams like DAL, VAN and NYR aren't doing so well who were trending up last year.

This is why we watch, nothing is easily predicted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad