Atlantic Division Preseason Power Rankings

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I can't decide what my favorite quote in this artice is

"lost some grit in Prust that gave them the edge to win the division last season."

"Leaving Price to take many more games than he should won’t help Montréal push farther into the playoffs."

"A lack of distinct leadership also plagues the Bleu Blanc et Rouge, trusting four alternate captains instead of one main captain and two alternates."

All three are absolutely ridiculous....

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
No... wait... I found it... the most ridiculous quote of all time....

"with the potential to re-establish the “Big, Bad Bruins” with gritty Zac Rinaldo, the forwards should produce more this season."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Zac Rinaldo HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mentioning Zac Rinaldo as one of the reasons a team will get more production from their forwards is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. (unless you are counting production of game misconducts and suspensions)

Last edited:

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom

"lost some grit in Prust that gave them the edge to win the division last season."

"Leaving Price to take many more games than he should won’t help Montréal push farther into the playoffs."

"A lack of distinct leadership also plagues the Bleu Blanc et Rouge, trusting four alternate captains instead of one main captain and two alternates."

Someone googled "Montreal Canadiens" and tried to summarize the three latest articles but didn't do it properly.

I am sad about Prust leaving, just for the leadership though. He had a rough season last year and I think his role can be filled on the ice, but off the ice he was pretty great.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
The only reason I see Detroit at #2 is because betting against them has been a terrible idea for quite some time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
imo it's too soon to do predict the ranking. I prefer to wait after the training camp.

But here's my current opinion on the subject

Tampa Bay : Still the best team.
Montréal : Still the 2nd best team.
Detroit : 3rd but a team with lot of question marks. Old leadership and goalies should prevent them to finish higher. Will make the playoffs but it's gonna be close.
Boston : Should bounce back. I don't like the trades Sweeney did and the team is lacking depth but still sort of a good team when healthy. Chara will play an important role. If he bounces back the team will and if he doesn't then it could be hard for them to make the playoffs.
Ottawa : Could be lower if Anderson doesn't show up (like he did often in his career). Kind of an overrated team imo. Stone and Hoffman are still unproven 6th and 5th round picks imo. Team gonna work hard though and they have more experience at key positions than Florida and Buffalo (which are better teams on paper imo). Should miss the playoffs if Boston doesn't fail as Cendrillon doesn't happen every year.
Florida : Could finish 1 or 2 positions higher but still a very young team. If Ekblad doesn't experience "la gigne de la 2e année" and Luongo shows up it could be a surprising season for them. Hard to position this team without seeing them at the training camp imo.
Buffalo : Lehner, young defense group, lack of depth, lack of experience, young leaders, ... i really don't understand why anyone would put this team high. I really don't like the trade for O'reilly that much. I believe Zadorov gonna be a very good D and with Eichel i don't think they needed O'reilly that much.
Toronto : Well ...

Last edited:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

"with the potential to re-establish the “Big, Bad Bruins†with gritty Zac Rinaldo, the forwards should produce more this season."

Mentioning Zac Rinaldo as one of the reasons a team will get more production from their forwards is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. (unless you are counting production of game misconducts and suspensions)

yeah they are pretty bad

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

"with the potential to re-establish the “Big, Bad Bruins†with gritty Zac Rinaldo, the forwards should produce more this season."

I didn't read, but those quotes are absolutely laughable, i mean not even the dumbest hf poster would come up with that.

NewHabsEra*

We've been very lucky in the past 2 years with injuries, ours best players barely missed a shift during that time span, I have the feeling it will end this year.

Thats what happen when you have depth and that you roll your 4 lines.. Many are criticizing Therrien alot but the guy knows pretty well that the regular season is a marathon..

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
"A lack of distinct leadership also plagues the Bleu Blanc et Rouge, trusting four alternate captains instead of one main captain and two alternates. While the Habs are still a great team, two others made the moves to knock them off of the top."

Yeah, the author doesn't know much.

I mean, he's a college kid that's been a hockey fan for 4 years. He essentially just listed roster changes, then gave his opinion. Just because its posted on some website, doesn't make it any more valid than a random HF opinion.

If people that run/write for these sites actually want to contribute something meaningful, they should at least attempt to include some sort of unique analysis...

Habs4thewin

Jul 4, 2007
I agree with the Habs finishing 3rd in the Atlantic but not for the same reasons stated in the article.

We've been very lucky in the past 2 years with injuries, ours best players barely missed a shift during that time span, I have the feeling it will end this year.

I feel confident enough, with the depth we have that we will overcome some key injuries.

Also, will give us a chance to see the progression of a nice crop of Young guys we have.

But hey, if we don't have too much injuries, we should be top 2.

All and all, I'm fine with it :)

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
About Jake Reiser

As soon as Nathan Horton blasted his overtime goal past Carey Price in Game 7 of the 2011 Quarterfinals, I was hooked. When I'm not writing, I'm a student at Boston University, doing anything I can to further my sports journalism career. I also founded and operate TRLHockey.com

Oh hey, an article written by a guy who started watching hockey 4 years ago.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I thought the same thing when Bowman left.

I'm more interested to see how Babcock fares in Toronto, TBH. Detroit as an org just doesn't seem to miss a step no matter who leaves, it's uncanny.

Detroit still has a fair amount of talent, and a good team. I don't expect them to miss a beat, to be honest.

Babcock should have a free pass for a while in Toronto, certainly for the next 2-3 seasons, I would think. This time, I actually believe that their franchise will build slow and steady from scratch.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Detroit still has a fair amount of talent, and a good team. I don't expect them to miss a beat, to be honest.

I also don't expect them to miss a beat, they should be fine.

Toronto I also see going the slow and steady way, hopefully it works out for them but I'd be completely dishonest if I didn't say a part of me still wants to see them fall flat on their yet again. :laugh:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Thank you!

I wasn't going to read that ridiculous article, but your quotes have provided me with a good laugh! Hard to pick a favourite, they're all so masterful.

:laugh:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I also don't expect them to miss a beat, they should be fine.

Toronto I also see going the slow and steady way, hopefully it works out for them but I'd be completely dishonest if I didn't say a part of me still wants to see them fall flat on their yet again. :laugh:

Lol, I'll be completely honest. All of my parts want them to fall flat on their face every year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad