TV: Atlanta (Donald Glover's new FX show)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Enjoyed the season, looking forward to season 2. The story progression is interesting. Its hard to tell how much time has passed since episode 1 but he's making some money and connections now. The show isn't really so much about progression with his career as it is random events that happen to him/the other characters. The season finale was about a jacket rather than pursuing his cousins rap career. Character development is definitely noticeable tho, which is good.

Van and Darius are two of my favorite characters on TV right now.

I hope we get another Van-centric episode in season 2.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Watching it now: I feel that there are a metric ton of references to books and other visual media that are just going over my head.

But it's awesome.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
is this a show with a continuous storyline? Would I be able to jump in from season two next season if it's not on Netflix before then or would I be better off seeking out season one elsewhere first?

Hopefully it ends up on Netflix though...

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
is this a show with a continuous storyline? Would I be able to jump in from season two next season if it's not on Netflix before then or would I be better off seeking out season one elsewhere first?

With Donald Glover set to play Lando in an upcoming Star Wars film i'm not sure if we'll see season two very quickly, should be plenty of time to watch season one. It didn't really have a continuous storyline.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

It sort of does, its still hard to pin point how much time has gone by through season 1 from episode 1 - 10. Some progress is made but it seems to jump.

Only 10 episodes each about 20 minutes its not a long season, theres no reason not to be able to watch it before S2

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just finished the first season. It was pretty good but they pretty much abandoned any type of story arc after the first 3 or 4 episodes and the rest were just self contained.

Also you know that "black people don't know Steve mqueen" thing? I felt like Alfred said way too much stuff that he just should not have known. Like some of the references he made I thought "a white guy wrote this". Like he called that kid Draco Malfoy. Sure I'm sure plenty of black people love Harry Potter. But does a rapper/drug dealer named paper boy read Harry Potter. I think the actor didnt even know who that was cause he said Drake Malfoy. Either way it was a small thing and I laughed.

But overall it was pretty good.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Started watching the other day - two eps in. I like. If the scene at the police station, featuring that guy & his (male) "girl", had me laughing the hardest:
How much will I enjoy this series moving forward?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just finished the first season. It was pretty good but they pretty much abandoned any type of story arc after the first 3 or 4 episodes and the rest were just self contained.

Also you know that "black people don't know Steve mqueen" thing? I felt like Alfred said way too much stuff that he just should not have known. Like some of the references he made I thought "a white guy wrote this". Like he called that kid Draco Malfoy. Sure I'm sure plenty of black people love Harry Potter. But does a rapper/drug dealer named paper boy read Harry Potter. I think the actor didnt even know who that was cause he said Drake Malfoy. Either way it was a small thing and I laughed.

He said "Drake Malfoy" because he thought the kid looked like a combination of Drake the rapper and Malfoy the Harry Potter character.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Started watching the other day - two eps in. I like. If the scene at the police station, featuring that guy & his (male) "girl", had me laughing the hardest:

It's littered with great scenes like that. Enjoy.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Uhh... which white writer?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4288182/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

That's one of the great things about this show. Not only is it smart & hilarious, but it challenges all sorts of preconceived notions.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I think it's very well-done. It walks the line between playfulness, non-preachy social critic/conscience and serious themes in a tight and cohesive 20 minutes every time. and One of my favorite scenes is the first one from episode 10. '' It's like all ya'll my Racial Slurz, but ya'll ain't my Racial Slurz! I mean, it's like I know ya'll, but I don't know ya'll '' and the character just goes on like this for 3 minutes. :laugh:

The utter confusion of most characters throughout the show is also a sweet touch that adds to the whole absurdness of the work.

Last edited:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It's littered with great scenes like that. Enjoy.

I think it's very well-done. It walks the line between playfulness, non-preachy social critic/conscience and serious themes in a tight and cohesive 20 minutes every time. and One of my favorite scenes is the first one from episode 10. '' It's like all ya'll my Racial Slurz, but ya'll ain't my Racial Slurz! I mean, it's like I know ya'll, but I don't know ya'll '' and the character just goes on like this for 3 minutes. :laugh:

The utter confusion of most characters throughout the show is also a sweet touch that adds to the whole absurdness of the work.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just saw the 3rd and I'll most definitely keep watching.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

The first half of season 1 had a storyline but they abandoned it.

Looking forward to this season

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
giphy.gif

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Brilliant start to the 2nd season. The music choice with the crocodile scene was exquisite and the way Glover navigates between street comedy and gritty surrealism is gorgeous. Nice to see Katt Williams with a strong turn as well. Always enjoyed his stand-up and he is a magnetic figure.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That last bit with Michael Vick in the last episode was so great. :laugh:

'' Is...is he doing okay? ''
'' Oh yeah, it's just a good hustle. Drunk people want to race him. ''

I love how nothing is predictable yet it all comes together so naturally. Great work in every episode so far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad