Atlanta 3.0: Three local ownership groups emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
How is it bad news having multiple groups wanting to keep the team in Atlanta?

sorry...i dont mean to be antagonistic...i personally believe that the resolution of the ownership issues in atlanta are more pressing than those in atlanta realize. whether the coyotes are relocated or not, atlanta does not have time in my opinion to be starting at square one trying to scrape together a collection of people who might want to start the process.

the balkan better be real and he better be farther along than it appears or there could be trouble for the franchise in atlanta.

as you say...dont trust ASG....if they dont get a good offer quickly they will not have any allegiance to the city and will take the money from elsewhere with the NHL having to force them to do otherwise....it seems doubtful that they will accept $100m less than a relocation interest would offer them.

just my personal opinion.....maybe i'm wrong.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
sorry...i dont mean to be antagonistic...i personally believe that the resolution of the ownership issues in atlanta are more pressing than those in atlanta realize. whether the coyotes are relocated or not, atlanta does not have time in my opinion to be starting at square one trying to scrape together a collection of people who might want to start the process.

the balkan better be real and he better be farther along than it appears or there could be trouble for the franchise in atlanta.

as you say...dont trust ASG....if they dont get a good offer quickly they will not have any allegiance to the city and will take the money from elsewhere with the NHL having to force them to do otherwise....it seems doubtful that they will accept $100m less than a relocation interest would offer them.

just my personal opinion.....maybe i'm wrong.

I'm fascinated how others have a "better grip" on this whole thing than Atlanta fans. :shakehead

Just an opinion, but I am pretty sure that the Atlanta fanbase is pretty tight with the whole thing including knowing what Don Waddell, Darren Elliot, Dan Kamal, and others within the organization tell us away from the media scrums. It's pretty easy to talk to any of them actually.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
The Thrashers apparently lost $8 million last season, if so that probably doesn't put them in the top 5 of losses in the NHL. I would wager they lose more on the Hawks this season.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I'm fascinated how others have a "better grip" on this whole thing than Atlanta fans. :shakehead

Just an opinion, but I am pretty sure that the Atlanta fanbase is pretty tight with the whole thing including knowing what Don Waddell, Darren Elliot, Dan Kamal, and others within the organization tell us away from the media scrums. It's pretty easy to talk to any of them actually.

every line has two ends.

im not saying they are coming to winnipeg or anything....i just think that the situation is more urgent than many believe.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
This really has taken a backseat to the Phoenix fiasco. How urgent is the ownership group to sell the team? After 5 years of trying to sell you'd think they'd start getting an itchy trigger finger.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
This really has taken a backseat to the Phoenix fiasco. How urgent is the ownership group to sell the team? After 5 years of trying to sell you'd think they'd start getting an itchy trigger finger.

You can speculate many different directions here, since they own the 3 entities. Sure they are losing $$ on the Thrashers, but what about the Hawks and arena? I speculate that part of the problem is that the Tard$ are basketball fans, however I think the Hawks are also losing $$. I think the only thing keeping the package afloat is the arena, which is banking. There is apparently an interested party wanting all 3. Are the Tard$ looking at unloading all 3? Are they in THAT big of a rush while the arena is making cash? Not sure.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
OK, then Glavine has no more credibilty than that supposed Holywood bigwig who has been mentioned as a possible investor. I commend his spirit in wanting to keep the team in Atlanta but I wouldn't hold out much hope in his bid. Back to "the Balkan". Not a fun time if you're a Trhasher's fan.

Saying that a HOF pitcher who is one of the major sports heroes in Atlanta has no more credibility than a producer (?) who nobody has ever heard of (or his movies for that matter) is coming across as bitter that there's local interest.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Saying that a HOF pitcher who is one of the major sports heroes in Atlanta has no more credibility than a producer (?) who nobody has ever heard of (or his movies for that matter) is coming across as bitter that there's local interest.

Diodn't mean to phrase it that way but from the article I read it was more hoping & wishing than a definitive action plan or a claim he has solid investors. Of course he has more financial clout than the producer but clearly, and by his own admission, not enough to make a serious charge to save the team (on his own).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Diodn't mean to phrase it that way but from the article I read it was more hoping & wishing than a definitive action plan or a claim he has solid investors. Of course he has more financial clout than the producer but clearly, and by his own admission, not enough to make a serious charge to save the team (on his own).

He admits to not have the means to purchase the team on his own, correct. But I'll bet he has the contacts to speak with many investors locally and nationally. Plus, he said he'd be willing to speak with any other investment group he is not part of yet.

Vivlamore reports that he's already met with league officials.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He admits to not have the means to purchase the team on his own, correct. But I'll bet he has the contacts to speak with many investors locally and nationally. Plus, he said he'd be willing to speak with any other investment group he is not part of yet.

Vivlamore reports that he's already met with league officials.

Which is more than Rollins has ever done.

Paul DiPietro55

Mar 25, 2011
Lugano
Don't have the time to read through all the pages.

May someone answer my question: are the thrashers about to be moved? if yes, how likely is it?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Don't have the time to read through all the pages.

May someone answer my question: are the thrashers about to be moved? if yes, how likely is it?

All we know is that Kincade has a close contact who he has termed "The Balkan", who is in talks of purchasing the Thrashers, The NBA Hawks, and Phillips Arena.

Chris Vivlamore also said that 5 Non- Disclosure Agreements have been signed, which one can take to mean that 5 parties are interested, all of whom want to keep the team local.

Also, one party who wants to buy the land around the arena, and renovate it.

I believe that is all that has been reported.

Also, an important thing to note is that ASG, while it was extremely interested in selling the Thrashers from Day 1, was unable to sell until recently, when they finally bought out majority owner Steven Belkin. Up until that point, court documents indicate that ASG, while it was talking with some people, was unable to make a sale because of the ambiguity of the ownership of the Thrashers.

Paul DiPietro55

Mar 25, 2011
Lugano
All we know is that Kincade has a close contact who he has termed "The Balkan", who is in talks of purchasing the Thrashers, The NBA Hawks, and Phillips Arena.

Chris Vivlamore also said that 5 Non- Disclosure Agreements have been signed, which one can take to mean that 5 parties are interested, all of whom want to keep the team local.

Also, one party who wants to buy the land around the arena, and renovate it.

I believe that is all that has been reported.

Also, an important thing to note is that ASG, while it was extremely interested in selling the Thrashers from Day 1, was unable to sell until recently, when they finally bought out majority owner Steven Belkin. Up until that point, court documents indicate that ASG, while it was talking with some people, was unable to make a sale because of the ambiguity of the ownership of the Thrashers.

Thanks for the summary. I'm no Thrasher fan, but hope the team stays in Atlanta. Hope everything turns out well for them.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Tom Glavine is to Atlanta what Mario Lemieux is to Pittsburgh.

Only difference in ownership is that the Pens were so screwed on money owed to Mario that they HAD to negotiate giving him part ownership.

Glavine was one of the union reps during the baseball strike and has worked with Donald Fehr. He isn't some stupid "jock" that just hangs out at autograph signing events.
He knows hockey, he knows sports business, and he has contacts.

Former Braves and Hawks President Stan Kasten stepped down from the Washington Senators last year and coincidentally was present at the last 2 Thrasher, yes Thrasher hockey games along with Glavine and Gearon. I totally believe that the 3 of them are working to make something happen. Gearon wants dearly to stay on as an owner of the basketball team. The rest of the Tard$, not so much I believe.

This won't happen by the end of May as so many Canadians hope. But, in the end, there IS enough money in Atlanta and enough reputation working behind the scenes to make something happen for the good of the local fans.

There just AREN'T any local reporters interested in the sport to go digging for progress. They are relying on OLD, OLD stuff from February and even December. NO LOCAL media equals Canadian media using the same OLD stuff and spreading rumor and opinion that does not come from fact.

Even Mirtle says that "word around the NHL is that it's bad in Atlanta..." Well duh. We know that came from December's meeting in which employees were told relocation was possible if nothing comes through (sound familiar folks? That was back in December before any NDA's or public ability to sell the team. It came from frantic men who have no clue about running a business anywhere but into the ground), but the "word" gets blown out of proportion and distorted like a bad game of "telephone." The facts and sources are not concrete.

Check every year when free agency and trade deadline days are near.....there is NEVER any talk of Atlanta. No one had anything on Atlanta's moves or signings. No one cared to look into it. No news ever comes from Atlanta. But this relocation stuff has circulated like old creekwater since 2008 and it probably was even fed by the owners who have been dying to get out since day 1. Doesn't mean it's happening!

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Correction. All we know is that Kincade says he has a contact interested in purchasing the Thrashers. His claim has not been supported by any evidence. Not a shred.

As of 11 days ago, Vivlamore reported that nothing progressed past the Non-Disclosure Agreements and no serious negotiations were taking place, adding:

"There is a big difference between expressing interest and having the financial ability to reach an agreement. The possibility of the sale of all three properties, the most likely scenario for the Thrashers to remain in Atlanta, has been described as “one in a million” and “one percent.”"

If someone is asking for a summary of events, I'm sure he's hoping for a fair and accurate summary.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Correction. All we know is that Kincade says he has a contact interested in purchasing the Thrashers. His claim has not been supported by any evidence. Not a shred.

As of 11 days ago, Vivlamore reported that nothing progressed past the Non-Disclosure Agreements and no serious negotiations were taking place, adding:

"There is a big difference between expressing interest and having the financial ability to reach an agreement. The possibility of the sale of all three properties, the most likely scenario for the Thrashers to remain in Atlanta, has been described as “one in a million” and “one percent.”"

If someone is asking for a summary of events, I'm sure he's hoping for a fair and accurate summary.

:shakehead
Vivlamore has been scooped over and over. Most lately by 11Alive News with the Tom Glavine story and with comments from the Mayor of Atlanta saying he too was going to get involved. C-Viv hasn't spoken to anyone except for light stories about the players' summer plans once the season ended. Those little nibblets would go great on "The View," with Whoopi Goldberg.

Look back at your comment: 11 days ago...and that article was a rehash of Dec. and Feb. comments on the radio and not answers to his direct questions! Atlantans know this.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
:shakehead
Vivlamore has been scooped over and over. Most lately by 11Alive News with the Tom Glavine story and with comments from the Mayor of Atlanta saying he too was going to get involved. C-Viv hasn't spoken to anyone except for light stories about the players' summer plans once the season ended. Those little nibblets would go great on "The View," with Whoopi Goldberg.

That's cool but your opinion of Vivlamore doesn't make one word of my post untrue.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
Tom Glavine is to Atlanta what Mario Lemieux is to Pittsburgh.

Only difference in ownership is that the Pens were so screwed on money owed to Mario that they HAD to negotiate giving him part ownership.

Glavine was one of the union reps during the baseball strike and has worked with Donald Fehr. He isn't some stupid "jock" that just hangs out at autograph signing events.
He knows hockey, he knows sports business, and he has contacts

In fact, wasn't Glavine an NHL draft pick back in the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad