Kelowna, B.C.
Andre!!!!!

What a moment!
3000.jpg

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If De Grasses time was a few hundreds of a second faster, he could have claimed a faster average speed than Jacobs result in the 100M.

If that happened, I would have loved for someone to ask Donovan Bailey if he thinks Andre De Grasse has earned the world's fastest man title.

Reactions: Wrath

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I find it crazy that a swimmer or gymnast can potentially win 6 or 7 gold medals for doing slight variations of their sport but it takes a decathlete 3 days of competition in 10 very different disciplines to win just one.

Reactions: NyQuil

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
If De Grasses time was a few hundreds of a second faster, he could have claimed a faster average speed than Jacobs result in the 100M.

If that happened, I would have loved for someone to ask Donovan Bailey if he thinks Andre De Grasse has earned the world's fastest man title.

Jacobs starts his 100m from a standstill while De Grasse gets to run into his 2nd 100, you can't make a fair comparison like that, especially after Jacobs beat De Grasse head to head. However, I loved that whole Donovan Bailey / Michael Johnson challenge in the late 90s, can only imagine how social media would have magnified that drama if it was around especially after Johnson pulled up.

And yes, I could totally picture Donovan tap dancing around everything he said in the 90s to be on Andre's side haha.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Jacobs starts his 100m from a standstill while De Grasse gets to run into his 2nd 100, you can't make a fair comparison like that, especially after Jacobs beat De Grasse head to head. However, I loved that whole Donovan Bailey / Michael Johnson challenge in the late 90s, can only imagine how social media would have magnified that drama if it was around especially after Johnson pulled up.

And yes, I could totally picture Donovan tap dancing around everything he said in the 90s to be on Andre's side haha.

I know all the reasons why the comparison is flawed. I lived through that whole thing. I just literally would give anything to see Bailey react to it.

That whole debate has been shelved for such a long time since Bolt made the point moot by just winning everything.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

One of, if not THE coolest exhibitions i have ever witnessed.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Warner with +9,000 points, what a terrific performance.

Once Warner basically hit results in 100M and Long Jump that would have gotten him pretty far in those individual events (I think his long jump would have earned a bronze if I recall correctly), it was pretty much his to lose.

It's a shame Lepage couldn't medal, but, will probably only be a stronger threat at the next games.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Once Warner basically hit results in 100M and Long Jump that would have gotten him pretty far in those individual events (I think his long jump would have earned a bronze if I recall correctly), it was pretty much his to lose.

Yeah, he was definitely in the driver's seat.

Still a lot of nerves around events with 3 attempts.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's what I was checking each day. Did he put some points on the board? Good. Next.

The fact he was continually putting up personal or seasons best didn't hurt.

I will say that I wish they had a dedicated cable channel for the decathlon / heptathlon.

In a way, it's the best way to experience track and field because you get to know all the participants and see what it takes to be good or average at any particular sport.

It's kind of like a introductory tour of track and field.

With the dedicated events, they're all at the top of their game so you miss a bit of that nuance.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

He didn't pull up - he's a chicken. He didn't pull up at all - he's just a chicken.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think if Jacobs and De Grasse ran a head to head 100M 10 times in the next month - De Grasse beats him at least 7-8x out of 10. I think he's a better sprinter, and is faster. But it doesn't really matter - Jacobs performed better on the biggest stage of them all and deserves that title.

Reactions: discostu

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think if Jacobs and De Grasse ran a head to head 100M 10 times in the next month - De Grasse beats him at least 7-8x out of 10. I think he's a better sprinter, and is faster. But it doesn't really matter - Jacobs performed better on the biggest stage of them all and deserves that title.

De Grasse has always had issues with his starts.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
De Grasse has always had issues with his starts.

The ironic part is that possibly his best start through 6 individual races at these olympics was his 200m heat, and it was by far his worst overall race

Another aspect - every single one of his races had at least 1 false start up until the 200M semis and finals, his best 2 races. As calm as he looks, all these false starts have to make you nervous when performing

Reactions: NyQuil and discostu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad