Athletic’s Corey Pronman ranks his top U-23 players

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The Hart ranking seems consistent with Pronman not being high on goalies in general. Unless I'm mistaken, he's left them off his rankings lists in the past entirely because he doesn't like the volatility of the position.
Yeah perhaps, but in that case just make a separate list for goalies. Just looks awful with guys like Chytil, Formenton, Batherson etc. ahead of him, and I only looked at a few.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Who is Austin Matthews? Is he related to obvious #1 on this list, Auston Matthews, franchise player of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Having Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen all the way down around Brady Tkachuk is a bit of a wheeze.
I feel this is more a testament to how he regards Tkachuk than a knock on those other players.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Cool that the best player on a team that went to the finals is ranked behind 2 guys who had a very dissapointing rookie season and 2 guys who haven't played a single NHL game yet.
The ranking is based on who he believes will have better careers, no? This isn't ranked on current play. I do agree he should be higher though.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I feel this is more a testament to how he regards Tkachuk than a knock on those other players.
I understand that he's pretty high on Tkachuk which is justifiable, but to have a winger in with the future Norris contenders is still a stretch. Having those D down in the teens definitely strikes me as a "knock".

To put my own opinion on the line, I'd probably try and squeeze the three of them all in right after Svechnikov at the latest.

Reactions: Rob Brown

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have a few thoughts, but it does seem as though Pronman does not value young defenseman as much. Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, and McAvoy all seem to low to me considering what they have shown at the NHL level.

I could hear an argument that D don't drive play as much as F and Pronman prefers guys with skill that drive play, which has always been his MO.

Then I see Dahlin at 2. And I see three forwards that are primarily goal scorers that don't drive play much in the top 9. And I just don't know what to say.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Corey Pronman of the Athletic ranks his top U-23 players.

This is a projection on who he believes will have the best careers. It’s actually 155 players in total, but I’ll just post the top-25 here to discuss.
  1. Auston Matthews
  2. Rasmus Dahlin
  3. Elias Pettersson
  4. Alexis Lafreniere
  5. Matthew Tkachuk
  6. Andrei Svechnikov
  7. Patrick Laine
  8. Jack Hughes
  9. Kaapo Kakko
  10. Quinton Byfield
  11. Quinn Hughes
  12. Brady Tkachuk
  13. Cale Makar
  14. Miro Heiskanen
  15. Tim Stutzle
  16. Kirby Dach
  17. Lucas Raymond
  18. Pierre Luc-Dubois
  19. Cole Perfetti
  20. Robert Thomas
  21. Nico Hischier
  22. Milhail Sergachev
  23. Trevor Zegras
  24. Charlie McAvoy
  25. Barrett Hayton
I have a problem ranking kids that have not even shown anything yet, over players that have. In saying that here is my list oif the same players......

1. Auston Matthews
2. Elias Pettersson

3. Miro Heiskanen
4. Cal Maker
5. Quinn Hughes
6. Andrei Svechnikov
7. Rasmus Dahlin
8. Alexis Lafrenierre

9. Pierre Luc-Dubois
10. Patrick Laine
11. Charlie McAvoy
12. Mihail Sergachev
14. Matthew Tkachuk

15. Kirby Dach
16. Trevor Zegras
17. Brady Tkachuk

18. Jack Hughes.
19. Nico Hischier
20. Tim Stutzle

21. Kaapo Kakko ?????
22. Quinton Bifield ?????
23. Barrett Hayton ?????
24. Robert Thomas ?????
25. Cole Perfetti ?????

I grouped these guys in groups, where I thought their impact was similar, until the end, where who knows????

Note...........I think Heiskanen, Maker and Hughes could be in any order, they all bring something different to the game, and time will tell which ones better. I gave Heiskanen the nod, because of his outstanding playoff performance. And in saying that, Ramus Dahlin may be the best of the 4, as he is the youngest of them, and on the worse team.........I want them all!

I also think you are splitting hairs, when evaluating Dach, Zegras, Tkachuk and Hughes, Hischier, and Stutzle, who could all be in a different order in several years.......I really like Dach and Brady Tkachuk, and think Stutzle could be the best of the 6........its a crap shoot with such a small sample size.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Heiskanen at #14 is ludacrious. Did he sleep through the playoffs?
#1 Heiskanen
#2 Pettersson
#3 Makar
#4 Matthews
#5 Q.Hughes

Heisk is definitely too low, but putting him at #1 is just as crazy as putting him as #14

IMO he should easily be above Byfield, Kaako, J. Hughes and the Tkachuks

After that it starts to get a bit more subjective in terms of preference.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
No scout has enough time to watch every prospect, that's why NHL scouts are largely regional. So when Pronman makes a list on all the prospects every year, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Then, when he doubles down on it and says that, not only can he watch every prospect, but he can watch all the young players in the NHL enough to be able to rank them correctly. Pronman's stuff is bordering on infuriating.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Heisk is definitely too low, but putting him at #1 is just as crazy as putting him as #14

IMO he should easily be above Byfield, Kaako, J. Hughes and the Tkachuks

After that it starts to get a bit more subjective in terms of preference.
Why is Heiskanen as the #1 crazy? He arguably had the greatest playoff performance by a u23 defenceman ever and has zero flaws in his game.

I think the #1 and #2 spots are between Heiskanen and Pettersson and it comes down to preference. Both are extremely high IQ, which I value a lot, and both will win championships in this league.

If you're worried about Matthews, he lacks the IQ and ability to make linemates better to challenge for #1.

Reactions: Ippenator

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It's amazing how much Pronman hates Heiskanen.

The dude hated him in his draft year.

The dude hated him D+1 when Heiskanen played WJC, WC and Olympics

The dude slightly improved his opinion on him and somewhat admitted he was wrong after Heiskanen rookie season.

Now.. after a point per game playoff run, 25-30 minutes every night as a #1D man going to the Stanley Cup Finals.. and Pronman still rates him this low.

This dude is clueless, too much time watching prospects in J20 Sweden instead of the Stanley Cup Finals perhaps.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This idiot had Joe Hicketts in his top-60 on this list for at least two years. He has no idea. He had Jeremy Bracco at #85 a year ago. He's clueless.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Why is Heiskanen as the #1 crazy? He arguably had the greatest playoff performance by a u23 defenceman ever and has zero flaws in his game.

I think the #1 and #2 spots are between Heiskanen and Pettersson and it comes down to preference. Both are extremely high IQ, which I value a lot, and both will win championships in this league.

If you're worried about Matthews, he lacks the IQ and ability to make linemates better to challenge for #1.
it's completely reasonable to say Heiskanen should be higher, but saying Matthews can't even challenge for the #1 spot is just as ridiculous

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

What are you even talking about. Are you talking about a different Matthews than the rest of us?

Since he came into the league four years ago Auston Matthews is second only to Alex Ovechkin in goals scored and plays a strong two way game at C

Really doubt there is anyone who wouldn't take Matthews over Heiskanen based off a playoff run...

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
What are you even talking about. Are you talking about a different Matthews than the rest of us?

Since he came into the league four years ago Auston Matthews is second only to Alex Ovechkin in goals scored and plays a strong two way game at C

Really doubt there is anyone who wouldn't take Matthews over Heiskanen based off a playoff run...
Matthews is a splendid goalscorer. But his hockey IQ is just average and he doesn't offer much in terms of playmaking.

I don't see Matthews as the kind of guy to lead a team to a Stanley Cup.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Matthews is the best goal scoring winger in the game playing center for some reason.

Reactions: Ippenator and JAK

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3