Athletic’s Corey Pronman ranks his top U-23 players

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Corey Pronman of the Athletic ranks his top U-23 players.

This is a projection on who he believes will have the best careers. It’s actually 155 players in total, but I’ll just post the top-25 here to discuss.
  1. Auston Matthews
  2. Rasmus Dahlin
  3. Elias Pettersson
  4. Alexis Lafreniere
  5. Matthew Tkachuk
  6. Andrei Svechnikov
  7. Patrick Laine
  8. Jack Hughes
  9. Kaapo Kakko
  10. Quinton Byfield
  11. Quinn Hughes
  12. Brady Tkachuk
  13. Cale Makar
  14. Miro Heiskanen
  15. Tim Stutzle
  16. Kirby Dach
  17. Lucas Raymond
  18. Pierre Luc-Dubois
  19. Cole Perfetti
  20. Robert Thomas
  21. Nico Hischier
  22. Milhail Sergachev
  23. Trevor Zegras
  24. Charlie McAvoy
  25. Barrett Hayton

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Am i the only one that thinks it is weird to rank players that haven't even played on NHL ice? I totally get the reason but how about you make a list of top u-23 NHL players. For all we know Cole Perfetti(just an example) never improves his skating enough to be a really impactful player or etc.

Can we really say Byfield is better than Quinn Hughes? Because Quinn Hughes looks pretty damn good.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Both Tkachuks above Makar made me laugh.

Oh, just noticed J Hughes and Kaako, too, lol. Wow

Last edited:
Reactions: notsocommonsense

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Agreed. McAvoy at 6 too.

As a Rangers fan I can confidently say I do not take this list seriously with Laf and Kakko that high

Laf should be high since it’s a career projection and he was a slam dunk number one pick.

Kakko is too high for me. I still think he’ll be a really good player, but I’d probably have him in the late teens.

Both Tkachuk‘s are also a lot higher then a would have them ranked too.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The biggest thing that jumps out is Heiskanen at a mere 14, jesus. He's already a #1D and arguably a Top10D in the entire league.

I think he got #1 right, I think Auston Matthews will have the best NHL career, though I hope it turns out to be Laf.

Heiskanen at #14 is ludacrious. Did he sleep through the playoffs?
#1 Heiskanen
#2 Pettersson
#3 Makar
#4 Matthews
#5 Q.Hughes

Well your first two sentences were right, then you squandered it with those rankings.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Heiskanen, Makar and Q. Hughes too low. I don't think any GMs would take J. Hughes, Kakko, Laine or the Tkachuks over them. All three are better than Dahlin, too.

Hart at 47 is an absolute joke as well.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
:laugh:

what is this supposed to be a list of
And what exactly is wrong with that list?

Four of the top five have dominated the playoffs and regular season; and Matthews is an extremely consistent goalscorer even though he's a playoff failure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Heiskanen, Makar and Q. Hughes too low. I don't think any GMs would take J. Hughes, Kakko, Laine or the Tkachuks over them. All three are better than Dahlin, too.

Hart at 47 is an absolute joke as well.

The Hart ranking seems consistent with Pronman not being high on goalies in general. Unless I'm mistaken, he's left them off his rankings lists in the past entirely because he doesn't like the volatility of the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad