ATDHE & Channel Surfing have been seized

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
I was told if I copy a DVD I buy (as a backup) I'm breaking the law.

Is that true?

Am I breaking the law if I invite a few friends over to watch the original?
Not in the US. The fair use doctrine clearly allows backups for personal use, and it has consistently been ruled that way.

IkeaMonkey*

Because Bin Laden moves his ass around while these guys probably just had computers in 1 location. I'm sure the guy who ran ATDHE didn't have a rocket launcher either.

According to these people, we're all thieves. If you've looked at a magazine but failed to pay for it, you're clearly a felon in their ideal world. This bs, self-righteous "protect intellectual property at all costs" argument/act is beyond flawed and our policy needs to be changed before it does us in. If someone's camera'ing movies that are in theaters and then burning and selling them on DVD, that's one thing, but to bust this guy up is a national priority? Come the eff on.

I think the next move is to go after Barnes and Noble. They have chairs so you can comfortably, disrespect the intellectual property of the authors by previewing their work. Talk about encouraging such awful behavior.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not in the US. The fair use doctrine clearly allows backups for personal use, and it has consistently been ruled that way.

Sort of. Backing up a DVD for personal use is legal under the fair use doctrine. Distributing software to actually let people backup their DVD's for personal use is illegal under the DMCA.

One of those goofy legal paradoxes.

IkeaMonkey*

It's not an opinion. If the Flyers make it available for use, then it can be used.

You can justify your theft all you want, but it doesn't make you any less of a criminal.

Ease up on the personal attacks. I never once said I used these sites. I have season tickets to the local USHL team, I get my hockey fix. I'm not just gonna parade in here and talk about "intellectual" value of a sport. That's just...silly.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Nothing. Loaning things means you arent protecting the "intellectual value" of the item. Clearly you should lock up your movies and CDs in a fireproof safe so no one else can get the "luxury" of disrespectful sampling them.

Screw that. Beware the share. Lars was wrong. You can't stop it you can only hope to contain it, ie now ATDHE and now .me - If a cop arrests me for loaning STAR WARS or Sabbath to my pal the world and will end.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yeah, I'm sure Obama personally spearheaded this campaign....

He's the one that hired that moron Holder...and he's the one that if he said stop, it would. Just because he's not personally instructing the FBI doesn't mean his handlers aren't told what's going on. If he was against such things this wouldn't be happening.

IkeaMonkey*

He's the one that hired that moron Holder...and he's the one that if he said stop, it would. Just because he's not personally instructing the FBI doesn't mean his handlers aren't told what's going on. If he was against such things this wouldn't be happening.

I'm just glad someone is thinking about the starving millionaires.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It's not an opinion. If the Flyers make it available for use, then it can be used.

You can justify your theft all you want, but it doesn't make you any less of a criminal.

"Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P. NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

You have no right to "backup" parts of a website because the website isn't yours.

IkeaMonkey*

"Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P. NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

You have no right to "backup" parts of a website because the website isn't yours.

This is why I asked if he was "serious" with all his posting. I was just too lazy to find the actual terms.

IkeaMonkey*

how else am I going to watch my weekly Croatian league soccer matches? :D

The only logical option is to move to Crotia and get season tickets. There is a lot of intellectual material in those players feet that you were wrongfully sampling.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Intellectual property = copyrights and trademarks, etc. The NHL has every right to sell the media rights here, and sites like ATDHE is as criminal as one that sells stolen goods, and HFboards policy on allowing them to be posted is pretty hypocritical.

Agreed, it is hypocritical. I think we ought to get the Goldwater Institute to look into this, pronto!

:)

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
Damn. I do the exact same thing as ATDHE with my Slingbox (stream TV). I even let my friends on my Sling if they're some place where the game isn't on.

I was even at a wedding streaming to my phone and had a small crowd watching the last few minutes of a game...

I'll post pics as my door gets knocked down and the FBI jump in through my roof to apprehend me.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The UFC is trying to ruin all these sites, and for a sport that is still looking to gain recognition, I'm not sure why. If I'm Dana White, I let it slide considering the fact that it's not even close to being mainstream and if you want to draw people in, why not let the casual fan check it our for free online? Atdhe especially garnered lots of attention for the UFC from the exact audience they want to attract.

I certainly understand why this was done (Super Bowl definitely a key component), but since I have center ice and the new atdhe is up and running, I think I'll be OK :)

puckhead103*

I subscribe to GameCenter, and I want to pay the NHL to be able to stream all of their games.

Why do they black-out games on their streaming service if they happen to be available on cable? It makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of online streaming is that it is an alternative to having cable and the Center Ice package.
thats fricken' Pejorative Slured......

stupid, corporate nhl lackeys!!!!!!

puckhead103*

That was what I was saying.

I paid full-price for NHL GameCenter so that I could get online streams of all the games.

Except that I can't get streams of all the games, because a bunch of them are blacked-out. That's when I turn to ATDHE.

But I figure since I paid the NHL $169 for a full season of games, I'm going to get a full season of games, goshdarnit.
scam artists.....

Dado

Is there any legal way to stream NHL games a la carte? I would be happy to pay the $1.99 or whatever it should cost, but I haven't bothered with satellite or cable in over a decade and I will NOT start now. I looked at the whole-season GameCentre offering, but it appears to black out an awful lot of Canucks games, presumably because they're virtually all broadcast locally(?).

There must a Charter of Rights action in here. How can it be right for a government-licensed entity to deprive me of Thing A if I don't also buy Things B, C and D, which I have no interest in having, and certainly don't want to pay for?

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
for those of you who are pissed that ATDHE.net was seized by our wonderful government, you can thank me later: http://atdhenet.tv/ and http://88.80.11.29/ .. let's see how long these stay up for.. Dept of Homeland Security è un pezzo di merda.

DO NOT GOT TO ATDHE.ME!!! IT IS A SCAM SITE!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT GOT TO ATDHE.FM!!! IT IS A SCAM SITE!!!!!!!!!!

According to many other forums, those two are not the real things. And according to the ATDHE official twitter and their site, use http://atdhenet.tv/

NOTICE: ATDHE.NET was shut down today. We will try anything we can to bring the site back. If you want to continue accessing site please bookmark www.atdhenet.tv. You can also follow us on twitter.
Any website using the atdhe alias (other than one mentioned above) in their domain is not operated by us.
Use them at your own risk.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

While it is fairly likely to be upheld as fair use - I am not aware of any courts actually ruling on the matter.

However, the decryption tools which would be needed to make that backup are illegal under the DCMA.

edit: I guess Mouser beat me to it - that's what I get for actually taking a night off these boards and going to a game, although I'll guess that I enjoyed it more than Mouser :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad