ATDHE & Channel Surfing have been seized

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

I subscribe to GameCenter, and I want to pay the NHL to be able to stream all of their games.

Why do they black-out games on their streaming service if they happen to be available on cable? It makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of online streaming is that it is an alternative to having cable and the Center Ice package.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Al Quaeda watches sports and sitcoms on the internet?....They can't find Bin Laden but they do this?

Another theory here, that may not affect us in North America, but given the worldwide stature of these sites...What takes place this Sunday?....Somehow I can see that being behind it.

Admittedly, however, as the above poster notes sarcastically & I asked earlier, why Homeland Security?. Seems ominous no?.

MGorgon

Sep 6, 2006
Edmonton
I subscribe to GameCenter, and I want to pay the NHL to be able to stream all of their games.

Why do they black-out games on their streaming service if they happen to be available on cable? It makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of online streaming is that it is an alternative to having cable and the Center Ice package.

Because clearly they don't want our money. I don't want to pay shaw 50 dollars a month to only watch hockey. But gamecenter isn't an option because I live in Alberta, so all Flames games are going to be blacked out for me.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Another theory here, that may not affect us in North America, but given the worldwide stature of these sites...

What takes place this Sunday?

Somehow I can see that being behind it.

censorship-765098.jpg

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA

Because the teams sign contracts giving the networks exclusive rights in the market. Blame the teams, not the NHL. If they wanted to, they could sell non-exclusive rights, make less money, and then the Flames games could be on GameCenter in Alberta, Penguins games in Pittsburgh, etc.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This sucks.

NFL has some pull ha ha.

This kind of stuff is classifed under the Patriot Act, I think. Infringing on broadcast structure/model takes away from the amount of profits in the market... so balck markets (like these sites) subvert the market and handicap the overall economy.

The bigger question is whether or not it's apropriate for government to intervene in these situations (obviously too many people are going to alternative sources now). Consumers are basically thumbing their nose at the traditional tv model... but it would seem the gov has favoured big business... probably shouldn't surprise many.

Controversial legislation...

I wanted to watch the fights on Saturday... :shakehead

next week would work better for me.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Another theory here, that may not affect us in North America, but given the worldwide stature of these sites...

That's a good point.

I'm curious if anyone here buys hockeystreams.net game streams.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I pay for digital cable AND Centre Ice, but occasionally hockey conflicts with Gray's Anatomy or some other terrible **** on TV so I'm relegated to the laptop.

Sometimes you've just got to trust you customers and let that goodwill build your brand.

IkeaMonkey*

I bet the product execs are thrilled about this. Nothing like millions of "bad guys"(see: potential customers) not being able to see their ads they paid out the ass for.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So is ATDHE based in the states? Because if not, what gives Uncle Sam the right to block a website in another country?

Example: Lets say for arguments sake ATDHE was based in Germany. If Home Land Security gets thier panties in a knot and wants to block Americans from watching ATDHE than so be it. But, the Department of I've got Nothin' Better to Do, should not be able to stop someone in Canada from watching a website from Germany.

Now, if I'm wrong, and ATDHE is in fact based in the U.S. then I'm sorry, BUT the US gov't can still kiss my _____!

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
So is ATDHE based in the states? Because if not, what gives Uncle Sam the right to block a website in another country?

Example: Lets say for arguments sake ATDHE was based in Germany. If Home Land Security gets thier panties in a knot and wants to block Americans from watching ATDHE than so be it. But, the Department of I've got Nothin' Better to Do, should not be able to stop someone in Canada from watching a website from Germany.

Now, if I'm wrong, and ATDHE is in fact based in the U.S. then I'm sorry, BUT the US gov't can still kiss my _____!

Patriot Act somehow has jurisdicition for this

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio

They haven't blocked the website, they've just seized the US-registered Domain name.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
So can they register the domain name in some more liberal country?
Sure, but eventually the DOJ will block the traffic entirely if it continues to infringe on intellectual property rights, as well it should.

More likely is they'll do what many poker sites have done, and block US ISPs from accessing it.

IkeaMonkey*

Sure, but eventually the DOJ will block the traffic entirely if it continues to infringe on intellectual property rights, as well it should.

More likely is they'll do what many poker sites have done, and block US ISPs from accessing it.

Yea, product exposure is BAD news!

Just curious are you from Massachusetts or did you move there?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I use it to watch soccer games because most EPL games aren't shown live and certainly not my team. Its ridiculous to try and prevent people from showing programs with commercials around the world. It has failed and will continue to fail. They've already moved to a new domain.

Just remember folks the new dumb president, same as the old one. Obama's DOJ will protect you from those evil people who offer choices to those people potentially without any.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Just remember folks the new dumb president, same as the old one. Obama's DOJ will protect you from those evil people who offer choices to those people potentially without any.
Yeah, I'm sure Obama personally spearheaded this campaign....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad