ATD2019 - Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I was incredibly lucky my first two drafts - 1# Orr, #4 Howe.

But since then....

I swear I've been in the 15-22 range the last 4 drafts in a row. Second time with #15. Boring .

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was incredibly lucky my first two drafts - 1# Orr, #4 Howe.

But since then....

I swear I've been in the 15-22 range the last 4 drafts in a row. Second time with #15. Boring .

Like we said earlier, we should give priority to GMs who stay and vote in the entire process during the playoffs, so that they can choose their spot in the next draft in priority over those who didn't vote.

Even introduce a gradation:

Group 1: Voted every round: top priority
Group 2: Voted 3 rounds out of 4: next priority
Group 3: Voted 2 rounds out of 4: next priority
Group 4: Voted 1 round out of 4: next priority
Group 5: Didn't vote at all: given what is left

Rookie GMs: ??? Possibly have a prior lottery for them.

Returning GMs: Use their last draft (assuming that draft was after the rule is implemented).If a GM returns from before the implementation of the rule, consider him a "Rookie GM".

Or just put Rookies and Returning GMs in Group 1, to give them the benefit of the doubt and start in good faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I've been doing these ATDs since 2004 and I've had most of the top 20 players but never Orr. This is the fourth time I've had a top-2 pick, having had Gretzky once and Howe twice. I look forward to the freshness of building a team around Orr.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like we said earlier, we should give priority to GMs who stay and vote in the entire process during the playoffs, so that they can choose their spot in the next draft in priority over those who didn't vote.

We did that one year for GM’s that voted in every round. It went like this...

1. The first 4 picks (or maybe it was 5) were off limits, there was a lottery for those for anyone that wanted to be eligible.
2. GM’s that voted in every round the year before got to choose their spots. Ranked lists were given in case of ties.
3. All the remaining GM’s got to submit lists to choose their own spots if they wanted.
4. GM’s that didn’t want to participate got randomly assigned the remaining spots.

This was the year I got Lemieux 8th...I was one of the few GM’s who had voted in every round the year prior. I’d never started a team with a Dman, so I chose the 8th spot thinking one of the elite Dmen would be available, and then it all “went to crap” as there was no way I was passing on Lemieux

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We did that one year for GM’s that voted in every round. It went like this...

1. The first 4 picks (or maybe it was 5) were off limits, there was a lottery for those for anyone that wanted to be eligible.
2. GM’s that voted in every round the year before got to choose their spots. Ranked lists were given in case of ties.
3. All the remaining GM’s got to submit lists to choose their own spots if they wanted.
4. GM’s that didn’t want to participate got randomly assigned the remaining spots.

This was the year I got Lemieux 8th...I was one of the few GM’s who had voted in every round the year prior. I’d never started a team with a Dman, so I chose the 8th spot thinking one of the elite Dmen would be available, and then it all “went to crap” as there was no way I was passing on Lemieux

Figured I had already talked about what I wrote above.So we actually did it huh? Not sure why we dropped it...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
He still has until noon ET Tuesday to pick.

I just meant that hopefully he has been alerted to the fact that his pick is next. While there’s no real rush since we aren’t officially on clock time yet, it would still be nice to get at least a few picks in per day.

6 picks in already before we’re officially underway is actually pretty good. :)

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I completely get no trading, but the more I do draft planning finding certain pieces is challenging :laugh:

Part of the challenge, hopefully this turns out better than the disaster I drafted when I got to pick Bobby Orr.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I completely get no trading, but the more I do draft planning finding certain pieces is challenging :laugh: Part of the challenge, hopefully this turns out better than the disaster I drafted when I got to pick Bobby Orr.
I fully understand why some All-Star GMs would want a top 4 pick, but I'm in the Humble Pie division and I don't know if I'd want the expectations of having a top 4 pick. I'd like a Co-GM now partly for social reasons, but I'd really want one then.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was hoping to get him too.... since I usually build around D as well...

Only one I was interested in was Bourque (personally I think he's #2 all time) and having him last year was awesome. had Harvey or Unndrafted D the year before I think and then undrafted LW before that.

I've honestly never been a huge Beliveau fan.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Only one I was interested in was Bourque (personally I think he's #2 all time) and having him last year was awesome. had Harvey or Unndrafted D the year before I think and then undrafted LW before that.

I've honestly never been a huge Beliveau fan.

Put Bourque on cheese cutters and take away his fancy curved stick and I don't think he makes it as a Doug Harvey impersonator. Harvey would have done well in the wide open 80's with his skating and puck handling though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Harvey, Bourque and Béliveau have crystallized as the usual 5th, 6th and 7th overall in the past few drafts.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Harvey, Bourque and Béliveau have crystallized as the usual 5th, 6th and 7th overall in the past few drafts.

The ATD really punishes teams without a true #1 D, so that explains Harvey and Bourque. Hull can be hard to build around- especially in a no-trade draft. Since Beliveau is a very well rounded C, he makes a lot of sense early. I think now is when the first round can start deviating a bit.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The ATD really punishes teams without a true #1 D, so that explains Harvey and Bourque. Hull can be hard to build around- especially in a no-trade draft.
This reflects reality.

Can you think of a multiple championship team that didn't have a true #1D?

One of the stars of a great team is always a D. No other position as dependent (70s Habs w/o 1C, Avs w/o 1W, 90s Red Wings w/o 1G).

Reactions: tinyzombies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad