ATD2011 Thomas D. Green Prelims: (4) Springfield Indians vs. (5) Cincinnati Fireworks

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Alright, here's what I have time for today. I know it's not much, but I wanted to get something in before Mark takes off. As I said, once he's gone, I won't be saying much because I want this to be fair.

First off, I feel very comfortable with our first, third or fourth lines matching up against the Sittler line. I think that the key for us to win this series is shutting down that line. As I mentioned, I think that Mark's first line looks better on paper than it would in "real life". Having said that, it's still a very strong first line. Ideally, I'd have the Luce line out against them as often as possible, but not at the risk of overplaying them. The Oates line will handle them fine, and I think they will match them offensively. Adam Oates is, to me, a top five playmaker of all time. 7 top 3 finishes in assists is pretty impressive. To his right is Jarome Iginla who has managed 4 top 3 finishes in goals and never with a playmaker of Oates' abilities (or the real life equivalent). They will be deadly together. Cook adds some extra grit, albeit not nearly what Olmstead brings.

I'm also comfortable with Richards and Hextall lining up against the Sittler line.

While I'm comfortable with Crawford playing big minutes against Geoffrion, I plan on having Clapper to bear most of that load. He can skate with him, take the body, and then lead a rush up the other way. Speaking of Clapper, I don't want Cherry to hesitate moving up to forward in a pinch. He'll take Gare's spot on the second line, Gare will move the the third and play with Luce and Marshall. Tremblay moves down to the fourth line, and Koroll doesn't dress while Shields does. I think that my second line does provide enough offense, but if enough people disagree, that is an option. An option I don't want to have to use as suddenly Red Horner is my number one dman, but if need be, I'll do it.

Other than matching up against the Geoffrion line, we will simply roll our four lines. I don't think the Fireworks' second line is anything we need to concern ourselves making a defensive plan against. We'll just skate hard, hit hard, and play a very Don Cherry type game.

While our offense will be based on grinding, sticking to the system, blah blah blah, our defense will not hesitate to play a very physical, emotional type game. Horner, Clapper, Jerwa, Wilson, Vadnais, and Crawford can all hand out punishment. Some more than others.

Add me to the list that thinks the goaltending is fairly close to equal. I'd say that there is a slight edge for Hall, but not a ton.

I think our first line actually matches up okay with theirs, and our bottom six are clearly better. There are no holes in the line up and they are not going to make many mistakes. This is not a team I would want to watch play very often, but they are a team that can win.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Alright, here's what I have time for today. I know it's not much, but I wanted to get something in before Mark takes off. As I said, once he's gone, I won't be saying much because I want this to be fair.

First off, I feel very comfortable with our first, third or fourth lines matching up against the Sittler line. I think that the key for us to win this series is shutting down that line. As I mentioned, I think that Mark's first line looks better on paper than it would in "real life". Having said that, it's still a very strong first line. Ideally, I'd have the Luce line out against them as often as possible, but not at the risk of overplaying them. The Oates line will handle them fine, and I think they will match them offensively. Adam Oates is, to me, a top five playmaker of all time. 7 top 3 finishes in assists is pretty impressive. To his right is Jarome Iginla who has managed 4 top 3 finishes in goals and never with a playmaker of Oates' abilities (or the real life equivalent). They will be deadly together. Cook adds some extra grit, albeit not nearly what Olmstead brings.

I'm also comfortable with Richards and Hextall lining up against the Sittler line.

While I'm comfortable with Crawford playing big minutes against Geoffrion, I plan on having Clapper to bear most of that load. He can skate with him, take the body, and then lead a rush up the other way. Speaking of Clapper, I don't want Cherry to hesitate moving up to forward in a pinch. He'll take Gare's spot on the second line, Gare will move the the third and play with Luce and Marshall. Tremblay moves down to the fourth line, and Koroll doesn't dress while Shields does. I think that my second line does provide enough offense, but if enough people disagree, that is an option. An option I don't want to have to use as suddenly Red Horner is my number one dman, but if need be, I'll do it.

Other than matching up against the Geoffrion line, we will simply roll our four lines. I don't think the Fireworks' second line is anything we need to concern ourselves making a defensive plan against. We'll just skate hard, hit hard, and play a very Don Cherry type game.

While our offense will be based on grinding, sticking to the system, blah blah blah, our defense will not hesitate to play a very physical, emotional type game. Horner, Clapper, Jerwa, Wilson, Vadnais, and Crawford can all hand out punishment. Some more than others.

Add me to the list that thinks the goaltending is fairly close to equal. I'd say that there is a slight edge for Hall, but not a ton.

I think our first line actually matches up okay with theirs, and our bottom six are clearly better. There are no holes in the line up and they are not going to make many mistakes. This is not a team I would want to watch play very often, but they are a team that can win.

Care to elaborate on this one? I think offensively my 3rd line is comparable to your 2nd line. How many bottom 6 forwards have led the league in any offensive stat. Chapman has two number 1 finishes and two more top 4's. Swift led an entire decade in recordable goals. Who is providing the offense on your 2nd line let alone the 3rd and 4th.

I dont have that much time but I'd like to point out that I built my team for the playoffs. Im not sure if anybody other than VI/ZM/The Sabre said anything but we will grind and score the ugly goals whick win playoff games. Pair that with the top playoff performer of the 1950's in Bernie Geoffrion, one of the best shut down dman of all time in Robinson and one of the most clutch goaltenders of all time in PArent and one would think the Fireworks would come out on top.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Correct me if im wrong but my 3rd line center has more career top 10 in points than his entire bottom 9 combined

Where is his secondary offense coming from??

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Do we need to go into top d-man pairings....

Also is Joe Jerwa really on the 1st PP unit?? Does anybody else think that looks out of place. That demonstrates the amount of offense that will come from the blue line.

Olmstead-Sittler-Geoffrion is without a doubt the best line in the series how does it look better on paper? Geoffrion-Olmstead have real life chemistry and are all physical players who will grind the pants off any line who's against them.

As much as I love Bun Cook he is not a 1st line player. Cook likes to play physical but will be terribly oversized. Jerome will be looked upon to be the physical presence of the line which will surely take away from his offensive chances. Who will score the goals? I think its a bad strategy to build a line depending on one guy to be your physical presence and only goal scorer.

I love the fact that you plan on playing the Oates line against my first line, the physical advantage is overwhelming we will out muscle the Oates line into submission let alone involving Robinson-Stanley.

Last edited:

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Just so we are clear:

Raleh already conceded that I have the better top line and better top defensive pairing.
His bottom 9 have a combined 1 top 10 in points.
Joe Jerwa is the best option for the 1st unit PP.

ANDDD this team is promptly voted above mine. The logic is overwhelming.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Thanks to Billy and Stoneberg who stepped up to say some words on my behalf while im away. I'd like to move on so I can eliminate that team with Reg Noble as their only offensive option.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
You don't think Cook is a top-40 LW of all-time?

Bun Cook is "terrible oversized"? Can't say I've heard of that, though I could be swayed by evidence. But I don't see much issue with the gritty Bun Cook as a secondary physical prescence on a top line.

There's more to a bottom-9 than offense, and top-10s are far from the be-all and end-all of offensive comparisons.

Valid concerns on the lack of secondary scoring on Springfield.

Thanks to Billy and Stoneberg who stepped up to say some words on my behalf while im away. I'd like to move on so I can eliminate that team with Reg Noble as their only offensive option.

You mean the team that has Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, and Peter Forsberg?

Not that you'd be facing them if you win this series, nor something you should be discussing so cockily; HHH has been getting pretty slammed for it too. It is generally unwise to discount any opponent in the sporting world.

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
First Line

Olmstead>Cook
Oates>Sittler
Geoffrion>Iginla

Pretty obvious advantage to Cincinnati. But Mark, how does Springfield's first line not work? Cook provides the physicality, Oates is the passer, and Iginla is the shooter. Cook isn't undersized, adjust his size and he's normal, actually a bit above average. Don't know where you're getting that.

Second Line

Prentice>Kamensky
This is tough to call, Smith played in an extremely competitive era and I'd want to see his non top 10 finishes in order to properly compare them. Ronty has better top raw finishes, so I'd say they are about equal.
Litzenberger>Gare

Again, advantage Cincinnati.

Third Line

Marshall>Berenson
Luce>Chapman
Tremblay>Swift

Defensively, that is. Cincinnati has a definite advantage offensively though. They pretty much equal out. Really depends upon what you're looking to do with your 3rd line. Personally, I'll take Springfield's.

Fourth Line

Hextall>Corson
Richards=Meagher
Toppazzini>Koroll

About equal IMO.

Overall, I'd say forward corps is an advantage to Cincinnati.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
You don't think Cook is a top-40 LW of all-time?

Bun Cook is "terrible oversized"? Can't say I've heard of that, though I could be swayed by evidence. But I don't see much issue with the gritty Bun Cook as a secondary physical prescence on a top line.
There's more to a bottom-9 than offense, and top-10s are far from the be-all and end-all of offensive comparisons.

Valid concerns on the lack of secondary scoring on Springfield.

You just said Cook is the secondary physical presence, thats my issue. Iginla has to be the physical presence and goal scorer for a 1st line? Who is he Gordie Howe?

You mean the team that has Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, and Peter Forsberg?

I meant Nels Stewart

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
First Line

Olmstead>Cook
Oates>Sittler
Geoffrion>Iginla

Pretty obvious advantage to Cincinnati. But Mark, how does Springfield's first line not work? Cook provides the physicality, Oates is the passer, and Iginla is the shooter. Cook isn't undersized, adjust his size and he's normal, actually a bit above average. Don't know where you're getting that.

Second Line

Prentice>Kamensky
This is tough to call, Smith played in an extremely competitive era and I'd want to see his non top 10 finishes in order to properly compare them. Ronty has better top raw finishes, so I'd say they are about equal.
Litzenberger>Gare

Again, advantage Cincinnati.

Third Line

Marshall>Berenson
Luce>Chapman
Tremblay>Swift

Defensively, that is. Cincinnati has a definite advantage offensively though. They pretty much equal out. Really depends upon what you're looking to do with your 3rd line. Personally, I'll take Springfield's.

Fourth Line

Hextall>Corson
Richards=Meagher
Toppazzini>Koroll

About equal IMO.

Overall, I'd say forward corps is an advantage to Cincinnati.

I agree with pretty much all of this. My issue is that Iginla will have to be the physical presence and goal scorer and that is a hefty load for him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Bobby Smith was one of the guys I looked at in my Shane Doan comparison.

These are his top 30 finishes in points. I might be off by a couple of placements once or twice due to ties, but nothing that would make a big difference:

8th, 15th, 18th, 22nd, 22nd, 27th, 30th

Feel free to use as you wish.

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
You just said Cook is the secondary physical presence, thats my issue. Iginla has to be the physical presence and goal scorer for a 1st line? Who is he Gordie Howe?

I meant Nels Stewart

Considering he has got secondary support, I don't see it as much of an issue; it's not like he's really unused to carrying his line physically as well in the NHL.

I won't get into a debate between our two teams in a preliminary; suffice to say I think you're wrong on that.

Bobby Smith was one of the guys I looked at in my Shane Doan comparison.

These are his top 30 finishes in points. I might be off by a couple of placements once or twice do to ties, but nothing that would make a big difference:

8th, 15th, 18th, 22nd, 22nd, 27th, 30th

Feel free to use as you wish.

Well, that doesn' seem bad at all.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with pretty much all of this. My issue is that Iginla will have to be the physical presence and goal scorer and that is a hefty load for him.

I think Cook can provide sufficient physical presence so that Iginla is able to focus on goal scoring. It will be more of a physicality by committee thing between the two, but when one is being physical the other can score goals. Cook has 4 top 10s(very weak ones, 4, 10, 10, 10), but isn't completely devoid of goal scoring ability. Still, I'll give the advantage to Cincinnati.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Since Mark loves percentages so much, here are the best percentage seasons from the bottom-six on each squad:

Marshall: 69 58 58 58 55 51
Luce: 66 64 59 57 50 47
Tremblay: 55 53 52 48 45 38
Hextall: 95 82 62 61 50 40
Richards: 73 71 67 57 28 28
Koroll: 59 57 53 50 49 47

Berenson: 92 77 77 69 65 64
Chapman: 95 91 69 58 50 50
Swift: I have no idea, if I did, I`m not sure it would be relevant.
Corson: 60 59 51 50 48 45
Meagher: 37 31 28 26 25 25
Toppazzini: 61 60 56 56 48 45

Notes:

- It might actually be Red Berenson that is the most potent offensive player in the bottom-sixes. Mark likes to tout champan`s assist titles and they translated into great points production... for two seasons. Aside from those two years he is in Marshall or Luce territory.
- Meagher is clearly the weakest offensive player in either bottom six. Eight of the above players have six+ seasons better than his best score of 37%.
- Total 50+ seasons: Springfield 27, Cincinnati 20.
- Total 60+ seasons: Springfield 10, Cincinnati 12.
- Total 70+ seasons: Springfield 4, Cincinnati 5.
- The above figures are `five against six`. Dolly Swift is being basically ignored as these numbers just wouldn`t work for him. You can bet he adds some extra offensive value to the mix, but how muchÉ (that should be a question mark) - your guess is as good as mine.
- these are really just rough numbers for players of this caliber. A lot of these guys earned some of these percentage scores getting modest PP time. They don`t get that here in the ATD. So this can overrate a guy who got a lot more PP time in real life that he won`t be getting here. ESP would be better for comparison, but I don`t have those figures in a format I can easily analyze.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
LF considering you haven't said anything about Billys overview it's safe to say you agree with everything. You take every opportunity possible to jump on whatever you can.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
LF considering you haven't said anything about Billys overview it's safe to say you agree with everything. You take every opportunity possible to jump on whatever you can.

Because it is a pretty reasonable comparison, more or less- doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all of it (I don't commentate on everything I disagree with); though I'm not so sure on Gare vs Litzenburger; I think I like Gare more.

seventies numbers eem to paint a closer picture as far as offense from top-6s. Onbiously, percentage isn't a perfect metric, but I find it better than just using top-10s.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
To be honest I could care less if im voted through or not. The fact that this team was voted ahead of mine shows how big of a farce the voting process really is. No offense to Raleh as he seems like an alright guy, but there really is no comparison. Billy already broke down the offense. TDMM stated the defense is again top to bottom in my favour, yes Hall has the advantage in the regular season. But in the end when you break down each team it's not even close.

More to bottom 9 forwards than offense, yes clearly but a combined 1 top 10 in points is a joke, especially when the 1st line is around average at best.

You guys keep looking for fresh new ideas for this thing, I wish there was a way we could hold a draft inwhich the teams GM's are unknown and 2-3 outsiders are responsible for announcing the picks that are pm'd to them, because clearly the GM behind each team has more influence on the actual team that is drafted.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Since Mark loves percentages so much, here are the best percentage seasons from the bottom-six on each squad:

Notes:

- It might actually be Red Berenson that is the most potent offensive player in the bottom-sixes. Mark likes to tout champan`s assist titles and they translated into great points production... for two seasons. Aside from those two years he is in Marshall or Luce territory.
- Meagher is clearly the weakest offensive player in either bottom six. Eight of the above players have six+ seasons better than his best score of 37%.
- The above figures are `five against six`. Dolly Swift is being basically ignored as these numbers just wouldn`t work for him. You can bet he adds some extra offensive value to the mix, but how muchÉ (that should be a question mark) - your guess is as good as mine.
- these are really just rough numbers for players of this caliber. A lot of these guys earned some of these percentage scores getting modest PP time. They don`t get that here in the ATD. So this can overrate a guy who got a lot more PP time in real life that he won`t be getting here. ESP would be better for comparison, but I don`t have those figures in a format I can easily analyze.

6 Against 5, clearly is Swift is able to be factored in Cincinnati has the edge. Run the 2nd line run the 1st lines, it doesnt matter how you want to compare these two teams, they aren't even close.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
To be honest I could care less if im voted through or not. The fact that this team was voted ahead of mine shows how big of a farce the voting process really is. No offense to Raleh as he seems like an alright guy, but there really is no comparison. Billy already broke down the offense. TDMM stated the defense is again top to bottom in my favour, yes Hall has the advantage in the regular season. But in the end when you break down each team it's not even close.

More to bottom 9 forwards than offense, yes clearly but a combined 1 top 10 in points is a joke, especially when the 1st line is around average at best.

You guys keep looking for fresh new ideas for this thing, I wish there was a way we could hold a draft inwhich the teams GM's are unknown and 2-3 outsiders are responsible for announcing the picks that are pm'd to them, because clearly the GM behind each team has more influence on the actual team that is drafted.

This is why upsets happen sometimes markander. This is why we don't crown the ATD champ based on regular season rankings.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the GMs are out to get you (something you'd only perpetuate by constantly assuming that's the case), it means that they might not have seen everything to see when they compared the teams in regular season rankings; no GM can see everything. The opinions of two GMs also don't mean everyone feels that way; seventies numbers bring the offensive-comparison in bottom-6s close enough that forward corps don't seem far apart at all, and then having one of the greatest regular season goaltenders ever also helps.

If that was really the case, and we all had some conspiracy theory going on, and we pick victors based on their names, why would TDMM win last year's ATD vs many, many ATD veterans? Why did you get the upset win over EB, a well respected ATD vet, last draft? Why was I, as a first time HF ATDer, able to upset GBC and raleh a couple of drafts ago? Who do you think people are bias for, exactly? Who do you think people are bias against?

We all take losses that we think are astounding mark, that we think are impossible because we think are teams are way better and there is no way they could lose to a certain team we may not like. But YOU are bias towards your team; just as I am towards mine, or anyone else is bias towards their own. The question is, if you can take these losses like a good sport and realize that other GMs disagree with you, for perhaps valid reasons, or whine and moan about it each draft and act like their is a conspiracy. I can't stand people who do the latter. It's alright to be a little ticked; going on and on about it is disrespectful and aggrivating to me.

Also, if anyone is bias against you, mark, it's because you pull this same stick every draft you take part in.

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Notes:

So, Cincy's 3rd line is better offensively, but easily inferior defensively. In terms of the 4th lines, Springfield's is definitely better offensively, but Cincy's is probably better defensively. It's like the 3rd lines, it depends upon what you're looking for in your 4th line. For both teams, they work depending upon what the team is built with. Cincy's defensive 4th line compliments its more offensive 3rd line, and Springfield's offensive 4th line compliments their more defensive 3rd line.

LF-that comparison was based solely on offense, I wasn't taking into account defense. Gare definitely brings superior two-way play, and more physicality. Now that I look at it, they look about equal. Litzenberger has superior finishes, but again, I'd want to see their % finishes to make a good comparison considering their respective eras. Those who is better rankings were a very rough look in comparing draft position, point finishes, eras, and intangibles. Nothing in depth in terms of statistical analysis.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

You yourself knocked off the second seed who happened to be the defending champ as a seventh seed last time. It's quite obvious that people put more individualized attention into playoff than regular season voting. I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

You are focusing way too much on the fact that you got voted 5th in the regular season and making a bad assumption that people have already made up their minds about all the teams. Several GM's have already made comments about how difficult this division was to rank. Also, with 40 teams how much time do you think each GM really spent on these rankings (especially when they know they will get a closer look and second chance to vote in the playoffs since everyone makes it)?

IMO you have a good case to win this series. Make good arguments and counter-arguments and you will win my vote and I'm sure plenty others. It has already been pointed out that your opponent will probably have an issue scoring with an average 1st line and lack of secondary scoring...focus on stuff like that. Complaining that you got a raw deal in the regular season will get you nothing and will probably even sway some voters against you that are on the fence. You have to be able to beat everyone in your division to win, what's the difference if you start at 5th or 1st?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad