ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I’d like to know the mean and median of blarney in all of King Clancy’s recorded statements.

What if the ATD were to watch and answer a series of questions about key series caught on video for each era? This would set benchmarks against era and against today from each era? Then use that as a barometer for quantitative guesswork to present fresh argumentation? (Bong hit)

split up into teams of 2-3 per era. Work up a survey sheet of questions. Review the info and then do a draft? Some of this has already been done- maybe by some of you... that wouldn’t have to be repeated.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It's been a strange holiday season. My wife has been out of the country for more than two weeks now (which included my birthday, and now Christmas - though she's back for New Years).

I miss her a lot - but is it bad that I'm enjoying the peace and quiet? I'm cooking what I like (lots of fish, which she hates), I did a 50 km hike over two days (there's no way she'd "let me" do this if she were around), and I'm watching the movies that I want (Se7en, Fire & Ice, a couple of Spanish language films, and the intellectual humour of Harold and Kumar). I went for my first-ever hot stone massage, and went rock climbing (note - next time do these in the opposite order). I even set up an old desktop to play old EA Sports NHL games (the goofy 2002 version, with its task list and players cards, is my favourite). I still need to listen to my Rush box set. My sleep schedule is horrendous, but that's a small price to pay - right?

Happy holidays everyone, no matter how you're spending it.

Reactions: seventieslord

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's been a strange holiday season. My wife has been out of the country for more than two weeks now (which included my birthday, and now Christmas - though she's back for New Years).

I miss her a lot - but is it bad that I'm enjoying the peace and quiet? I'm cooking what I like (lots of fish, which she hates), I did a 50 km hike over two days (there's no way she'd "let me" do this if she were around), and I'm watching the movies that I want (Se7en, Fire & Ice, a couple of Spanish language films, and the intellectual humour of Harold and Kumar). I went for my first-ever hot stone massage, and went rock climbing (note - next time do these in the opposite order). I even set up an old desktop to play old EA Sports NHL games (the goofy 2002 version, with its task list and players cards, is my favourite). I still need to listen to my Rush box set. My sleep schedule is horrendous, but that's a small price to pay - right?

Are you really asking? :laugh: Do you guys have children?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and everybody !

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

I’m single and my ex is begging me back so I’m glad I read this. Hilarious post.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... My wife has been out of the country for more than two weeks now ... I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.. I'm cooking what I like (lots of fish, which she hates), I did a 50 km hike over two days (there's no way she'd "let me" do this if she were around), and I'm watching the movies that I want (Se7en, Fire & Ice, a couple of Spanish language films, and the intellectual humour of Harold and Kumar). I went for my first-ever hot stone massage, and went rock climbing (note - next time do these in the opposite order). I even set up an old desktop to play old EA Sports NHL games (the goofy 2002 version, with its task list and players cards, is my favourite). I still need to listen to my Rush box set. My sleep schedule is horrendous, but that's a small price to pay - right?
I was married for 5 years back in the nineties and the quoted rings true. I have enjoyed everything you mention here, and remain satisfied. :)

The bachelor lifestyle suits me JUST FINE about 90% of the time.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The best times are:

- when our daughter goes for a sleepover somewhere else
- when my wife goes on a trip with friends
- when I go traveling somewhere without either of them.

There's nothing wrong with them, of course, it's just nice to shake up the usual routine of life.

If I'm by myself I usually enjoy extremely loud music, the hot tub, company over for some video games and drinks, and then a late movie with a special cookie. When it starts to kick in, zone out with psychedelic winamp visualization and Funkadelic.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The older I get the more I enjoy being alone. I spent most of my life worrying about being alone, which is the most ironic part of this journey. Most people are in relationships because we think we're supposed to be. Most people are terrified of not having somebody. As an extremely introverted person who overthought everything, this applied to me.

Divorced for a year and half now. Got my medical marijuana card about 6 months back. There has not been a more relaxing time period in my adult life. I'm 36.

I work, I come home and I smoke weed, listen to vinyl, go to concerts, record shops, random road trips. I'm currently writing a fan fiction Star Wars novel because Disney has utterly destroyed the franchise. I'm playing guitar again.

I'm going on vacation to Red Rocks Colorado for 2 weeks in the summer. I've never taken a vacation for myself. Most people don't.

Think about that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For better or worse, no kids for us.

Sorry, missed this in the shuffle.

Well, then at least you can contemplate your options more freely. Is there any reason your wife won't let you go on hiking trips when she's home? With children I'd understand completely, but without kids I'd find that a bit controlling (assuming we're not talking about hiking trips every single week).

That said, this is pretty typical :laugh:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Edmonton collapsing after a red hot start.

If they miss the postseason again you are going to start to see legit rumblings about McDavid moving on. I don't see the league itself allowing a generational talent to get squandered by an inept franchise in a west coast market. Sad to see him (and Drai) getting wasted out there.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Ick. Hink! You're right. 3-12 the last fifteen. Goal differential during that time: -22. Via the points-percentage function, on the outside looking in re: The Playoffs.

27 million in cap space taken up by three centers. Archetypal helicopter chassis. Perhaps when Wings are treated as some sort of subordinate component, one risks landing in this kind of buggerall.

Suppose there's still time to pull out of the tailspin- but after hosting the Rangers before the close of the year, a five-game road trip awaits.

That said, I don't know what's meant by "league itself allowing..." If you're Edmonton, and you feel like you need to move around the deck-chairs, wouldn't your first instinct be to contemplate any course of action except moving McDavid?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ick. Hink! You're right. 3-12 the last fifteen. Goal differential during that time: -22. Via the points-percentage function, on the outside looking in re: The Playoffs.

27 million in cap space taken up by three centers. Archetypal helicopter chassis. Perhaps when Wings are treated as some sort of subordinate component, one risks landing in this kind of buggerall.

Suppose there's still time to pull out of the tailspin- but after hosting the Rangers before the close of the year, a five-game road trip awaits.

That said, I don't know what's meant by "league itself allowing..." If you're Edmonton, and you feel like you need to move around the deck-chairs, wouldn't your first instinct be to contemplate any course of action except moving McDavid?

I simply think the league will work behind the scenes to create a stir. real or otherwise. Off the record type stuff.

McDavid on the east coast, on a perennial contender is much more lucrative for the league and McDavid in all reality.

Plus, I think if McD has a legit drive to win, he'll want out. He seems like a solid character so I doubt he'd ever publicly ask for a trade but behind closed doors?

With all the top picks and now generational talent Edmonton has played themselves into, you'd think the could at last make the postseason regularly. It really is alarming how inept that franchise seems to be. They don't seem to have a real plan or direction. They throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks, players, coaches and front office types included.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kucherov just came off of a 6-game scoring streak, leads the team in points and is on pace for 94 points.

Not superstar status, like last season but top-3 leaguewide at his position: certainly star calibre.

Hedman had two 1-assist games over a 7-game stretch then suddenly just had two huge offensive games (it is also the only back-to-back + in +/- for him this season) and he's the model of consistency?

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I simply think the league will work behind the scenes to create a stir. real or otherwise. Off the record type stuff.
I have no real dog-in-the-fight as concerns safeguarding Edmonton's interests. I also recognize that an emotional reaction is an enemy to sound negotiations. However, if I'm Edmonton- and the league attempted to inveigle (off-the-record) that I should consider moving McDavid, I would reply (off-the-record) that they can go eat a bag of dicks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
and pAdmittedly I don't watch as many games as I used to do, but Shea Weber is having a hell of a season in Montreal. This trade was magnificient. One of the all-time trades that turned out the most opposite of the initial (very intense) reactions. To this day there's a small % of Montreal fans who are salty about it but they finally shut their mouth.

Now Montreal have a lot of strong defensemen prospects (Romanov, Harris, Struble), and having a Weber on the team for the next few years, even if he declines, will indirectly make our team better by his mentoring. Not something I'd have expected P.K. Subban to do.

Romanov is once again looking great at the WJC. Will probably sign with Montreal next year. Unfortunately, am VERY concerned about the development abilities of the staff. Joel Bouchard was a hugei mprovement on Sylvain Lefebvre (a huge fiasco), but I'm still worried. I feel they're already ruining Kotkaniemi and are gambling hard with their handling of Primeau. Suzuki is looking great though.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kucherov just came off of a 6-game scoring streak, leads the team in points and is on pace for 94 points.

Not superstar status, like last season but top-3 leaguewide at his position: certainly star calibre.

Hedman had two 1-assist games over a 7-game stretch then suddenly just had two huge offensive games (it is also the only back-to-back + in +/- for him this season) and he's the model of consistency?
Hedman is amazing every night. I don't give a shit about his points - that's not his job. That's what Kucherov and Stamkos and Point are for - points from Hedman are just gravy.

If you can watch a Lightning game and think Hedman isn't by far our best player, you're an idiot, whether he scores 4 points or 0.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
When the Lightning ices Hedman a lot, they usually lose; when the Lightning ice him the least, they usually win. Advanced stats guys say so. Them da facts.

I have only seen three Hedman games this season, all he lost to my Caps (he a minus +/- each game). He made one good and four not so good plays in those games. I can specify if you like.

He ain't no Carlson. ;)

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
When the Lightning ices Hedman a lot, they usually lose; when the Lightning ice him the least, they usually win. Advanced stats guys say so. Them da facts.

I have only seen three Hedman games this season, all he lost to my Caps (he a minus +/- each game). He made one good and four not so good plays in those games. I can specify if you like.

He ain't no Carlson. ;)
Carlson is trash defensively riding a 16% on ice shooting percentage. 16% shooting percentage for an individual player is on the high side - total on ice shooting percentage that high is so far beyond unsustainable it's not worth mentioning.

And yeah - he's on the ice more when the team is losing. That's a dumb stat to use to prove anything other than when we need to catch up we put our best players on the ice as much as possible.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
John Carlson 》Victor Hedman

Hedman had a bad playoffs and apologists worship his size over his actual play.

He ain't no Pronger this season, nor Weber at his top-3 or -4 season best.

He is very good though. Not his career year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
John Carlson 》Victor Hedman

Hedman had a bad playoffs and apologists worship his size over his actual play.

He ain't no Pronger this season, nor Weber at his top-3 or -4 season best.

He is very good though. Not his career year.
Ummm... he missed two games with a concussion that he was trying to play through in games 1 and 2. He's not the one to blame for our playoffs.

And Hedman's size? He's never been known as a particularly physical Dman. He skates incredibly well and is rangy as hell, which allows him to be up in the play on offense while still being in position defensively.

You do not know what you're talking about.

Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ummm... he missed two games with a concussion that he was trying to play through in games 1 and 2. He's not the one to blame for our playoffs.

And Hedman's size?...

You do not know what you're talking about.
Daneyko on TSN repeatedly raves about Hedman's 6'6 size play.

Macho man... replay the tape. I am saying he ain't the hero. He has played better. Carlson has been more instrumental for the Caps than Hedman for the Lightning. Let's get our facts straight before casting aspersions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad