Atd#7 Minor League Draft

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Whitby selects Center/LW Murray Oliver who will likely play LW.

Murray Oliver was a slick playmaking centre who could kill penalties and create chances on the power play. He was blessed with excellent hockey sense and scored over 700 career points on four different teams. The tricky forward was considered one of the best in the league at pulling off the fake pass.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I disagree a bit, I like to grab one goalie early, focus on defense and not worry to much about forwards, but that is just me.
Exactly my strategy. I picked Gerry McNeil with my first pick just because I thought he was a little better than the others out there. My next 2 picks were both D.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
With the 49th pick in the minor league draft, the Omaha Ice Breakers pick Ray Ferraro out of Trail, BC. No time to write a bio, but here's this:

1,258 games
408 goals, 490 assists
1,288 PM
68 playoff games
21 goals, 22 assists
That one riddiculous 108/84/192 season with the Wheat Kings
A REALLY hot sister

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Actually, along with Ed Belfour, Jose Theodore is my favourite active player. But I'm smart enough to understand his limitation, especially in a all-time draft.

Haha, that's why he won't be seeing more then 35 games out of a 82 game season.

Theo isn't the greatest goalie, but I didn't see any others with a Hart and a Vezina remaining.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Even in the minor league draft for the 5th all-time draft, that was my feeling. Entering that minor league draft, 51 goalies had been selected, and there just wasn't that guy who screamed "must-have." (I had Kirk McLean as my No. 1 in that draft, and he was a must-have for me, but for sentimental reasons).

Now we're in a draft with 84 goalies picked. And there really isn't anything to choose between the goalies available.

I think it's a waste of a pick to select a goalie in the first 10 rounds of this minor league draft. With the shortage of defencemen and left wingers, and the quality that still exists for scoring centres and right wingers, plus defensive forwards, there's lots of reasons to not worry about a goalie at this point in time.

Agreed, although I think pappy did a good job taking McNeil who was IMO clearly the best goalie available for this draft (unless I'm completely overlooking someone)

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
If arrbez has a problem with the selection of Ab McDonald, then you should probably be seeking another guy to be GM with. McDonald was one of the top 5 LWs on our list, along with McKegney, Kovalchuk and two other scorers who haven't been picked yet. A very solid pick, would have likely been our guy if we didn't get McKegney.

I should be around all night, in case anyone needs me to announce their pick.

Oh no, I don't think Arrbez will have a problem with it. We just hadn't decided for sure, and I don't want to make two picks in a row without confirming with him first. That's all.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Arrbez, I know we hadn't decided yet but we're on the clock and Spit is lurking so I'm going to make the pick.

Springfield selects LW Ab Mcdonald.

Yeah, good call on that one. I fully approve this selection ;)

We'll have our next pick out soon

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Springfield Ice-O-Topes select one of the premier offensive players of the dead puck era:

RW Zigmund Palffy

Apart from his rookie season, Palffy scored at a PPG pace or higher every year of his career but one. His 713 points in 684 games are made more impressive by the fact that his career spanned the dead puck era from litterally start to finish (1995-2004), with only half a season in the post-lockout NHL.

On top of his NHL career Palffy was also a stalwart with the Slovak national squad, representing his country 12 times internationally, and leading them to their only World Championship in 2002 with 7 points in just 3 games.

He also rocked a deadly mullet back in the day. This man clearly knows how to party:
pal102.gif

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The Springfield Ice-O-Topes select one of the premier offensive players of the dead puck era:

RW Zigmund Palffy

Apart from his rookie season, Palffy scored at a PPG pace or higher every year of his career but one. His 713 points in 684 games are made more impressive by the fact that his career spanned the dead puck era from litterally start to finish (1995-2004), with only half a season in the post-lockout NHL.

On top of his NHL career Palffy was also a stalwart with the Slovak national squad, representing his country 12 times internationally, and leading them to their only World Championship in 2002 with 7 points in just 3 games.

He also rocked a deadly mullet back in the day. This man clearly knows how to party:
pal102.gif

That's a awesome pick...I can't believe everybody overlooked him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Repick needed.

This player is ineligible for the minor league draft because he was drafted by shawnmullin for the Thunder in the 22nd round of the main draft.
(Hey, at least it wasn't Ed Jovanovski. ;) )

shawnmullin's Nelson Leafs are on the clock.

No way! On a recheck, I found that last time I added a extra "N" to his name while checking. Oh well, lucky kruezer and I have a backup.

D Dennis Kearns

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2660

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With our first pick, the Syracuse Bulldogs selects a player who reached 50 goals twice in his career, who won the Cup twice, whom Pat Burns described best with his "Stephane, c'est Stephane" quote : RW STEPHANE RICHER

Richerhabs.jpg

With our second pick, the Syracuse Bulldogs selects an offensive dynamo, who is one of the few remaining players (if not the only one, amongst those who had a relatively long career) with over 1 PPG, who scored 50 goals twice, and who also won the Cup twice : C PIERRE LAROUCHE

74008.jpg

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
THE SYRACUSE BULLDOGS

Coach:
Clint Smith – Pierre Larouche – Stephane Richer
Herb Cain – Bronco Horvath – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX

Hobey Baker(C) – XXX
XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX

XXX
XXX
XXX

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Larouche was one of my top five offensive centres. I question the wisdom in selecting three top-end centres so soon (Smith, Horvath and Larouche), because offensive centre is the position with the greatest abundance. But Larouche is still an excellent pick.

Stephane Richer was likely the most talented RW in the draft. His skill level was elite. But he was soft and wildly inconsistent. A team will need a tough winger to open up room for him, and the right coach to reach out to him. His consistency issues really put him low on my list.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Penticton Vees are proud to select the following two-way left winger with the team's skipped fifth round pick:
200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG

Don Lever (lw)
hlever.jpg
313 goals, 680 points in 1020 NHL games (17 pts in 30 NHL playoff games). In all-star game (1982). Captain of Vancouver Canucks (1977-79) and New Jersey Devils (1982-84).

... strong at both ends of the ice... useful killing penalties and working the power play and registered nine 20-goal seasons... selected third overall by the Vancouver Canucks at the 1972 Amateur Draft and went on to be a stalwart on the club for nearly eight full seasons... a solid two-way worker on the weak Devils for three years
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13385

Team captain Don Lever scored the first goal in New Jersey Devils history against Pittsburgh at the Meadowlands on Oct. 5, 1982:
see the goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlHIZxObwI8

Played in 437 consecutive games from Oct. 7, 1972, through Jan. 14, 1978. Streak, which ended when he fractured his cheekbone... Was Vancouver's all-time goals and points leader upon leaving franchise in trade...
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1972/72003.html

... wasn't a flashy player but he had excellent overall qualities. He was a leader and prided himself as consistent player with few weaknesses. He was versatile and could play all three forward positions if needed (although he seemed to be most comfortable on left wing) and had great stamina which kept him injury free for much of his career despite his all-out approach to the game of hockey... fine two way skills, leadership abilities and hard work.
http://www.sabresalumni.com/2001/lever_don.php

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad