Atd#7 Minor League Draft

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
That's a awesome pick...I can't believe everybody overlooked him.

I originally assumed he went in the big league draft, but apparently not. He was top-10 in scoring on a number of occaisions. I guess playing your whole career with the Islanders and Kings over the past 12 years doesn't bring a lot of notoriety.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG

Yushkevich
dmitri_yushkevich.jpg
225 points in 786 NHL games (23 pts in 72 NHL playoff games). 659 PIM. In NHL all-star game (2000). Played seven seasons as a Leaf in an 11-year NHL career.

Anyone else than just me recall Dmitri Yushkevich as having been largely responsible for shutting down Lindros in the '99 playoffs? Yush was an exceptional warhorse in that series and, it turns out, in the run to the conference finals. I hated the Leafs and cheered on the Flyers (had money on the series) but came to admire Yush right there and then. I didn't watch the next round because I've disliked the Pens almost as much as I do the Leafs but I hear:
In the 1999 playoff series, the Toronto Maple Leafs eliminated the Pittsburgh Penguins, mostly because Yushkevich was so effective at hindering the Penguins Jaromir Jagr.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11782

The 1999-00 season validated Yushkevich's stature as one of the league's leading defencemen and an invitation to the All-Star Game confirmed it... opting to play in his homeland as of the 2003-04 season... On the international stage, Yushkevich represented his homeland at the Olympics in 1992 and 1998 and is a four-time member of Russia's World Championship team (1992, 1993, 1994, 1998 and 2004) and a member of its World Cup team in 1996.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11782

Just one year ago, in 2006, he tied Malkin for the scoring lead in the Soviet top league playoffs (15 pts):
Metallurg’s defenceman Dmitry Yushkevich became a first defenceman who scored a hat-trick in Russian playoff. Besides, he made an assist as well. After all, Yushkevich set a new record of the hockey club from Magnitogorsk among defencemen – 36 points in one season.
http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&stream=sl_interviews&id=482

Yushkevich has excellent puck handling skills but also had a defense-first style for most of his career so he used his stick skills on a good first pass. After breaking scoring records in Russia in 2006 he said in an interview that his role back in his NHL days was not to play the top powerplay and score but to play defense (and I personally have never seen a Leaf play defense like he did).

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Excellent work today, gentlemen. In the last 24 hours, we've had 21 picks. That's a terrific pace, and that's when this draft is fun - when it's moving quickly, guys are making their picks in an expedient manner, and we get some surprising selections, and some good debate.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Excellent work today, gentlemen. In the last 24 hours, we've had 21 picks. That's a terrific pace, and that's when this draft is fun - when it's moving quickly, guys are making their picks in an expedient manner, and we get some surprising selections, and some good debate.
Almost too fast!

I haven't had time to profile some of the picks during the round and - dang - we can all use more research time! :teach:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for making my picks GBC, I'll post details on them a little later.

RW Corb Denneny, brother of Cy, was a very good scorer in the NHA and the NHL. In his best season, he finished third in the NHL in scoring and first in assists. He finished in the top-10 for points four times out of his first five seasons.

LW Ed Sandford was a five time All-Star, a second team All Star in 1954, and was awarded a retroactive Conn Smythe for 1953. He was a consistent goal scorer throughout his career.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
reflections on round 4 and 5 combined:

players stolen off the Vees long list: Brown, Hebenton, McKegney, Palffy, Ferraro, Kearns
players who should've been on the list: McDonald, Oliver
players who probably drafted a bit early: Anisin, Sedin
interesting picks: Arbour, Denneny

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
'control F' search is superfast and effective

and yeah, i thought he a decent find late in the draft, but received nothing but criticism for it, not one compliment... expansion team star seems to be treated about equivalent to the WHA...
there's a team in the draft called the red wings and i got bored ...

its the quotation marks around red that screwed me up. my bad.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
fred stanfield
211 goals, 616 points in 914 NHL games (56 pts in 106 NHL playoff games).

In Boston, Stanfield joined Johnny McKenzie and Johnny Bucyk to form what is often considered to have been the best second line in hockey from 1967 to 1972. Known as "Steady Freddie." Stanfield had a reputation as a player who showed up to play every night. His hard work, fine skating and face-off prowess endeared him to the Bruin fans and made an important contribution to the team's two Stanley Cup victories in 1970 and 1972.

In the ten season after his arrival in Boston, Stanfield broke the 20-goal plateau seven times.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14422

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Springfield selects one of the top defensive defencemen of the 80's:

Normand Rochefort

He played his junior hockey with the Trois-Rivieres Draveurs and the Quebec Ramparts of the QMJHL from 1977 to 1980. He was then drafted by the Nordiques and, at age 19, made the jump directly to the NHL.

But obscurity continued to follow Rochefort, in part because of his stay-at-home style of play and in part because the Nordiques had a long-standing reputation for being weak on defense. If such was the case, it was thought, then perhaps Rochefort wasn't really all that good. However, he was the kind of defender who was noticed only when he made a mistake--and he didn't make many of those.

He anchored the Nordiques' blueline, which had a strong offensive orientation, for seven seasons until his little secret got out. He was invited to play at Rendez-vous '87 and the Canada Cup later that year. He surprised everyone as the steadiest defender at the tournament. From then on, Rochefort was on the NHL map.

We feel Rochefort will give us the size and stay-at-home presence we need to compliment either Liapkin or Rautakallio. Just like some of the offensive stars of the clutch-and-grab era probably don't get their due, we think Rochefort is in a similar position, as one of the great defensive players of the run-and-gun 80's.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Okay, the Giants select another guy to help anchor that blueline.

D Kent Douglas

Kent Douglas (b. 6 February 1936 in Cobalt, Ontario) is a retired professional ice hockey defenceman and coach. He is best remembered for winning the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year in the 1962-63 NHL season, when he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Before his first NHL season, Douglas spent five years playing for the AHL's Springfield Indians, under the tutelage of the eccentric Eddie Shore.

Douglas was unable to maintain his early success, although he did go on to play more than 400 NHL games. Douglas won two Stanley Cups while with the Leafs, and also played for the Detroit Red Wings.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
A bit of a risky pick considering he's never been to the playoffs, but he's dominated at a couple World Championships and adding another 6'3 winger is never a bad thing. Windsor takes Rocket Richard trophy winner:

LW Rick Nash

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
A bit of a risky pick considering he's never been to the playoffs, but he's dominated at a couple World Championships and adding another 6'3 winger is never a bad thing. Windsor takes Rocket Richard trophy winner:

LW Rick Nash
I'll give away two inches in exchange for 20 lbs and a couple of playoff appearances.

RW Jonathan Cheechoo

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Estevan Strippers are pleased to select a couple of gritty power wingers who can score. And they're small-town, Western Canadian boys. You can't beat that.

The first is a guy I've always wanted on my team. He's somewhat of a local, as he was born and raised an hour from Estevan. He played lots of minor hockey in our barn, including a year of bantam. And I've had the pleasure of chatting with him on multiple occasions. From Carlyle, Saskatchewan: LW Brenden Morrow.

The other is going to be our captain. He's a three-time World Hockey champion, arguably the best power forward left on the market, a tenacious forechecker, a strong backchecker, and a player whose character and integrity are undisputed by those who know him. The new Captain Canada: RW Shane Doan.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
:handclap:

I'd rather have either of these two than Ferraro. Why I convinced myself it was better to start with retired guys is anyone's guess.
I was expecting you to take Morrow at some point, because I know you're a Dallas fan, and so you'd know better than any of us what Morrow brings to a team, on and off the ice.

I had Morrow and Doan rated very high on my list. At this point in the draft, you're not going to find many guys capable of getting 30 goals, 70 points and 100-150 PIMs, while giving your team an aggressive forecheck, an extra boost in bravery, and strong leadership. We got two of them. They can play on the power play or the penalty kill. You feel a little bigger when you've got guys like Morrow and Doan on your team (plus Beukeboom and Samuelsson), and you know that they have your back.

Both are sentimental favourites of mine, but at pick No. 700-something, you can justify taking them at this point in the draft.

I nearly picked Morrow when I went with Curt Fraser in the main draft. As I stated before, I've always wanted Morrow on my team, and at that point, I wasn't expecting to do the minor league draft.

Morrow will be a fixture in the main draft, no matter how many teams we have, within two years.

Ferraro's not a bad pick. Better than some of the offensive centres drafted at this point. It's just that there are lots of skilled centres still out there. Not a pick that you should be disappointed with.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
At this point in the draft, you're not going to find many guys capable of getting 30 goals, 70 points and 100-150 PIMs, while giving your team an aggressive forecheck, an extra boost in bravery, and strong leadership. We got two of them. Ferraro's not a bad pick. Better than some of the offensive centres drafted at this point. It's just that there are lots of skilled centres still out there. Not a pick that you should be disappointed with.
Ryan Smyth is a 400-ish player, and I rate Doan and Morrow as on par with him.

There may be a handful of scorers that are equal to Ferraro, but because I'm a Dallas fan and a graduate of the Gainey School of Hockey, I don't know many of those scorers, but I know tons of aggressive, forechecking, brave Canadians.

At this point, I have my scoring line. 14 skaters to go ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad