Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
round 3 reflections:

players stolen from Vees list of potential draftees: None
players who should have been on the Vees list: Rautakallio, Patrick
players thought perhaps drafted a bit early: Beukeboom, Theodore
careers short at (deepest talent pool) centre position: Datsyuk, Getzlaf
players that seem like interesting picks: Baker
On the surface, Beukeboom looks like he went early. But Estevan's Civic Auditorium is a small ice surface. The rink was designed as a mirror image to the old Boston Garden, since, at the time of the rink's construction, Estevan was Boston's Saskatchewan development centre. Your old buddy Dallas Smith came through here on the way to Boston.

But just picture a tandem of Beukeboom and Samuelsson on the old Boston Garden, with their size, reach, aggressiveness and positioning, and then imagine trying to get past them. You have your answer for why we picked Beuk.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
But just picture a tandem of Beukeboom and Samuelsson on the old Boston Garden, with their size, reach, aggressiveness and positioning, and then imagine trying to get past them. You have your answer for why we picked Beuk.
Once past them, easy enough to do on a 3-on-2 passing play or, easier, dump-and-chase with fast forecheckers, how the hell are they gonna handle cycling down low or getting puck movement back up ice with their limited skating and puck handling ability?

They will look for open ice hits, get a few, miss many, and spend plenty of time in the penalty box.

They are not a first pairing on any team. They are useful role players and great #5/#6 guys in this draft, Samuelsson a decent #4 and adequate #3.

But don't pair them up together, imo. Too many gaps in their game to be a good fit together. Worth drafting a quality role player early if you think he would have been drafted by another g.m., that's true.

Ideally imo:

d - d
d - Samuelsson
Beukeboom -d
d

---------------

What do others think?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I'm with Van Islander ... ideally, you pair a big, strong, slow defenseman with a smaller, faster, quicker one.

I didn't have Beukeboom up near the top of my list, but he was on it, along with other, very comparable defensemen.

One thing I haven't seen addressed is how "games" are "officiated". Are we using pre-lockout rules or post-lockout rules? If it's the former, give me six copies of Beuk ... if it's post, I wouldn't want two copies of him trying to stop the guy with the Sedins.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...how "games" are "officiated". Are we using pre-lockout rules or post-lockout rules? Post lockout, defensemen like Book seem to have had their value diminished ever so slightly ...
excellent point :thumbu:

we should assume either (a) rotating officiating, with officials from each decade/era alternating games; or (b) random assignment, one looking at the entire history of hockey and thinking which styles are more or less common; or (c) ideal tailoring, each player getting the benefit of the officiating of the era they played in, as this is hypothetical, we can be flexible in our thinking; or (d) all eras considered, discounting talents particular to a given era.

I'm particular to (b) and (c) but i can't help but sometimes think (d) and it'd be interesting to formally do (a).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well,... I think he's good to have as one of the three goalies we each are to have in the system. In the minor leagues you'd expect more shared ice time, developmental work, less riding the bench all season. You can never go too wrong with a Hart trophy winner in the stables.

all right...you know, i must say you're doing a awesome job running this draft.

All right, Vancouver takes another player that maybe grabbed a bit early. However, the Giants want this guy badly, even if he maybe being picked early. Say hello to our sniper, LW Ilya Kovalchuk.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Picking for Pitseleh :

Quebec Bulldogs selects former Quebec Nordiques (amongst others)

D Jeff Brown.

Details to follow.

Thanks MXD.

We felt that Brown was one of the most talented offensive defensemen available. He's an expert PP QB, which will add an additional dimension to his game. He's also an excellent playoff performer, with 65 points in 87 games. As of now he'll be paired with the ever steady Bucko McDonald, who should allow him to display his offensive skills.

He's also a bit of a homer pick, as my fondest memories of him were the '94 playoffs.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
D Jeff Brown
583 points in 747 NHL games. 7 full seasons and several partial seasons due to injury.

Four very good playoff seasons:

1989-90 St. Louis Blues NHL 48 10 28 38 37 -12 12 2 10 12 4
1990-91 St. Louis Blues NHL 67 12 47 59 39 +4 13 3 9 12 6
1992-93 St. Louis Blues NHL 71 25 53 78 58 -6 11 3 8 11 6
1993-94 Vancouver Canucks NHL 11 1 5 6 10 +2 24 6 9 15 37

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
all right...you know, i must say you're doing a awesome job running this draft.

All right, Vancouver takes another player that maybe grabbed a bit early. However, the Giants want this guy badly, even if he maybe being picked early. Say hello to our sniper, LW Ilya Kovalchuk.

Ilya Kovalchuk is a way better pick than Jose Theodore IMO. He was actually taken 5 time out of 7 in the Major All-Time Draft, and he was actually on our list (well he was until we took two LW's in our first two picks).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kovalchuk will help the team in the regular season (I'd rate him high in that context and thus may help the Giants win my favour in voting of ranking for the regular season) but is he a clutch player? The lack of playoff experience and some attitude issues makes him a bit of a question mark in the postseason (will depend on what the match-ups are).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Kovalchuk doesn't have a wealth of playoff experience, but that's different that making the playoffs every year and consistently disappearig.

Regardless of your team's strategy, there's always room for one Ilya Kovalchuk on the roster. He was going to be my next pick. Damn good player.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I'm with Van Islander ... ideally, you pair a big, strong, slow defenseman with a smaller, faster, quicker one.

I didn't have Beukeboom up near the top of my list, but he was on it, along with other, very comparable defensemen.

One thing I haven't seen addressed is how "games" are "officiated". Are we using pre-lockout rules or post-lockout rules? If it's the former, give me six copies of Beuk ... if it's post, I wouldn't want two copies of him trying to stop the guy with the Sedins.

Cough!

I don't care what rules they go by. Beuk wouldn't struggle to stop the Sedins. The guy was decently mobile. He certainly wasn't a pylon that would get schooled by the Sedins(its tough not calling them the sisters anymore) He moved the puck with smart passes and had a decent slapshot as well. There's way more to his game then just big hits.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jeff Brown is a solid pick, and since pit doesn't have Kirk McLean, he should have nothing to worry about. Excellent puck-mover with a bullet shot. A guy you always thought was capable of more, but he did quite well for himself during his career.

I wouldn't have picked Theodore, simply because I don't think he's consistent enough to warrant No. 1 status, and he's too selfish to play a No. 2 or 3 role. He forever talked his way out of Team Canada's plans when he sulked about being the No. 3 goalie following the World Cup.

Kovalchuk's an interesting pick. My co-GM had him in the last draft. Likely the most talented player in the draft, but also moody and difficult to get a read on. You'll need a good coach to handle him the right way. He's another instance of a modern player's value suffering because of a disappointing year, although he went through the same problem that Iginla had in 2005-06: nobody to give him the puck. I don't know if he'll ever do well in the playoffs. So much of the playoffs is about character, and Kovalchuk's lacking in that regard.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

If you hit the Sedins, you stop the Sedins. And there are other ways to stop the Sedins than just hitting them. As a Dallas fan, you should know that, after watching the job that Sydor and Zubov did on them in the playoffs.

Beukeboom and Samuelsson will hit them early and often. And their positioning, size and reach will help as they neutralize the Sedin cycle.

We'll employ the Twin Towers on our small ice sheet. (And we'll use some other old-time Estevan home ice advantage tactics, too, especially in the playoffs). On the road, we'll probably split them up.

We want to have the best home ice record in the league, and with the Twin Towers, plus Watson's Estevan experience, we think we're on the right track.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
If you hit the Sedins, you stop the Sedins. And there are other ways to stop the Sedins than just hitting them. As a Dallas fan, you should know that, after watching the job that Sydor and Zubov did on them in the playoffs.
Sadly, I only watched 1 game of that series, but what you're talking about is exactly how I'd choose to go about it.

Totally off-topic: are there enough arenas with enough quantifiable, tangible benefits / impacts on the game to throw them into the next draft? I recall the national arena in Moscow having chicken wire instead of glass during the Summit Series (how much would a dirty forechecker love THAT), and the Slurpee that we called the ice at Reunion Arena in Dallas worked wonders helping guys like Craig Ludwig and Derian Hatcher keep up with their smaller, faster opponents. The Edmonton building is praised during every national telecast for having the fastest ice in the history of sub-freezing temperatures. This is something that should tie into players / team style ... dunno, just a thought.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
With the 39th pick in the minor league draft, the Omaha Ice Breakers are proud to select defenseman Steve Chiasson from Barrie, Ontario.

After a three-year stint with the Guelph Platers in the OHL, Chiasson played NHL 13 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings, Calgary Flames and the East Coast WhalerCanes, from 1986-1999. His 751 NHL gamed yielded 398 points and 1,100 penalty minutes. At 6'1 205lbs, Chiasson had good size and decent offensive upside, surpassing the 10-goal plateau 5 seasons. Chiasson never won the Cup -- being the prize Detroit traded for Mike Vernon -- but was universally praised by teammates and management alike. He was voted to the 1986 Memorial Cup MVP and played in the 1993 NHL All-Star game.

A drunk driving accident cut his career a bit short, killing him at 32, a fact that will require some smoothing-over by the Ice Breakers public relations department, but the fact remains that he was a tough, determined leader who played through injuries and had a simple, no-nonsense style, all qualities that will endear him to the Omaha faithful.

Chiasson will wear an A for the Omaha Ice Breakers.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Whitby selects Andy hebenton

Quote:
Before Doug Jarvis, Andy Hebenton was the Iron Man of the NHL. Including lengthy stints in the minors, he played 26 professional seasons from 1949-1975. When he finally cracked the New York Rangers lineup in 1955, he embarked on a remarkable string of 630 straight regular season games, racking up an impressive 189 goals and 202 assists.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Arrbez, I know we hadn't decided yet but we're on the clock and Spit is lurking so I'm going to make the pick.

Springfield selects LW Ab Mcdonald.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ab Mcdonald.
182 goals, 430 points in 762 NHL games (50 pts in 84 NHL playoff games). 6'2 tall, 194 lbs. In NHL all-star game (1958, 1959, 1961, 1969, 1970).

... a creative offensive player who could also stay with his check and kill penalties. He played nearly 800 games for six different clubs in a career that lasted from the late 1950s to the early '70s.

The veteran winger toiled briefly for the Detroit Red Wings in 1971-72 then played two years in the WHA with the Winnipeg Jets. In 1972-73, he was credited with notching the first regular season goal in franchise history.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13618

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Greg Adams
355 goals, 743 points in 1056 NHL games (42 pts in 81 NHL games). In all-star game (1988).

...developed into a stronger two-way player.... "In my first game with Vancouver, we played the St. Louis Blues," Adams recalled. "I scored four goals." He potted a career-high 36 goals in 1987-88, when he played in all 80 Canuck games, which was a rarity throughout his career, suffering from an assortment of nagging injuries, which often kept him on the sidelines.

The highlight of Adams's career came in 1994, when the Canucks came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup, only to lose the deciding seventh game to the New York Rangers. Adams is perhaps best remembered for his two clutch playoff goals that postseason. The first was against the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game Five of the 1994 Conference Finals, the overtime winning goal to complete a comeback from three goals down. The goal sent the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals. Adams then managed to top that when he scored the winning goal in Game One of the finals against the Rangers, but in the end they came up one victory short of the title.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10003

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad