ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
ATTENTION!

We need someone, who isn't a GM, to collect the regular season votes starting this Friday. Theo is too busy with life unfortunately and I wanted to give people a chance to give suggestions here. I figure we can probably get someone from the HoH section to help.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
ATTENTION!

We need someone, who isn't a GM, to collect the regular season votes starting this Friday. Theo is too busy with life unfortunately and I wanted to give people a chance to give suggestions here. I figure we can probably get someone from the HoH section to help.

If we struggle to find an outsider, you could tabulate votes for my Conference, and I could tabulate votes for your Conference.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm generally out of pocket on Sundays, but if I can get them done Monday mornings around 9 ET I can be available.

I don't know the specifics of how we determine how many games a series went, or particulars about the three stars, so as long as those get explained to me I could help.

You're more than welcome to the duty sir! I don't think anyone will complain if it takes a little longer than normal to get the voting results out. Anyone that is willing to help is appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure on how Theo determines the length of a series. I'm guessing it's based on the voting split and then some sort of simple tier system.

If @Theokritos has the time to explain, he's probably the best source!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I went with the median. Here's how it worked: Let's say the series is Florida Nordiques vs Quebec Sunshines. I put all the submitted outcomes in an order from best for Florida to best for Quebec. In the following example, I have an uneven number of ballots (9):

Florida vs Quebec
4-0
4-1
4-2
4-2
4-3
3-4
3-4
2-4
0-4

Florida wins 4-3.

An example with an even number of ballots (10):

Florida vs Quebec
4-0
4-1
4-2
4-2
4-2
4-3

3-4
3-4
2-4
0-4

The median is between 4-2 and 4-3 Florida here. In those cases, I always went with the closer outcome.

But what if an even number leads to both teams receiving the same number of supporting ballots?

Florida vs Quebec
4-0
4-1
4-2
4-2
4-3
3-4

3-4
3-4
2-4
0-4

So the series goes to 7 games, but who wins? Scratch the ballots that cancel each other out:

Florida vs Quebec
4-0
4-1
4-2
4-2
4-3
3-4

3-4
3-4
2-4
0-4

What remains is Florida 4-1, 4-2 / Quebec 4-3, 4-3. Advantage Florida, they advance in 7 games.

As for the three stars: A mention as first star was worth 3 points, a mention as second star 2 points, a mention as three star 1 point. Then I just added them up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks @Theokritos . Because I'm an annoying person, I have a question.

Highly unlikely scenario, but let's say out of 7 ballots, you get:

4-0
4-0
4-1
3-4
3-4
3-4
3-4

Median favors team 2, but it would seem the collective opinion would be that team 1 is the stronger. Still the same? Same as winning 3 games in a series by a blowout and losing 4 games in triple OT?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Because I'm an annoying person, I have a question.

It's fine, if I were in your place I'd do the same. Feel free to inquire further.

Highly unlikely scenario, but let's say out of 7 ballots, you get:

4-0
4-0
4-1
3-4
3-4
3-4
3-4

Median favors team 2, but it would seem the collective opinion would be that team 1 is the stronger.

Not quite: the majority of voters (4 out of 7) thought team 2 was stronger. It's just that the minority saw a much more lopsided series than the majority.

Still the same? Same as winning 3 games in a series by a blowout and losing 4 games in triple OT?

Yes, that's the way I would look at it.

At times you will get tricky outcomes. If the voters unanimously agree that Florida wins in 7 games, then it's a 4-3 win for Florida for me. If the voters are completely split and half of them have Florida winning and half of them have Quebec winning, then the outcome will also be 4-3 (for either team, let's say Florida for the sake of comparison). So you have two series with the same outcome even though they are obviously not the same. I still thought it was the fairest way to announce it. If everyone agrees it's a 7 game series but Florida wins, should I announce a sweep for Florida? That wouldn't do the fact justice that everyone thought it was close. I tried to add some nuance to the results by adding comments like "more than one game went to OT" if it the electorate was actually split and "several games went to OT, including Game 7" if both teams had nearly the same support.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho King

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Awesome - and for initial seeding just assign points for relative placement? I'll need to familiarize myself with the playoff structure over the next few days to make sure I get this right.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Awesome - and for initial seeding just assign points for relative placement? I'll need to familiarize myself with the playoff structure over the next few days to make sure I get this right.

I was talking about the playoff series. The initial seeding which was based on the regular season voting. EDIT: I think I misunderstood your post. Yes, points for relative placement on each ballot.

For regular season voting, I gave points for the ranks on each ballot. Let's say a division has five teams. First place = 5 points, second place = 4 points, third place = 3 points, fourth place = 2 points, fifth place = 1 point. And then the next ballot.

The overall sum from all ballots gives you a ranking of the teams in the division.

I'll need to familiarize myself with the playoff structure over the next few days to make sure I get this right.

Sure thing. Don't hesitate to ask if further questions come to your mind.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
ATTENTION!

I could do it.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
FYI:

I'd like to open regular season voting starting tonight at 7 pm EST. Obviously most people are going to be doing life things on the weekends (I will be w/ my son this weekend) so let's plan on keeping the voting open through the end of next week. That way we're giving everyone plenty of time to evaluate the rosters and get their votes in. If we get max votes in before the end of next week, we can proceed earlier.

@The Macho King has kindly volunteered to tally the votes for us and that is much appreciated! As long as you're still good with this today, we'll have all the GM's send you votes for the regular season and then subsequent playoff rounds.

So plan for regular season voting is as follows:

Voting opens tonight at 7 pm EST.

Voting closes next Friday 03/26 @ 7 pm (unless we get max votes before then)

All GM's must rank each division 1 through 6. You WILL vote for your own team this round. So make sure you are including your own roster in the final rankings.

Let me know if anyone has any objections to this. Thanks everyone!

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
FYI:

I'd like to open regular season voting starting tonight at 7 pm EST. Obviously most people are going to be doing life things on the weekends (I will be w/ my son this weekend) so let's plan on keeping the voting open through the end of next week. That way we're giving everyone plenty of time to evaluate the rosters and get their votes in. If we get max votes in before the end of next week, we can proceed earlier.

@The Macho King has kindly volunteered to tally the votes for us and that is much appreciated! As long as you're still good with this today, we'll have all the GM's send you votes for the regular season and then subsequent playoff rounds.

So plan for regular season voting is as follows:

Voting opens tonight at 7 pm EST.

Voting closes next Friday 03/26 @ 7 pm (unless we get max votes before then)

All GM's must rank each division 1 through 6. You WILL vote for your own team this round. So make sure you are including your own roster in the final rankings.

Let me know if anyone has any objections to this. Thanks everyone!
10-4

Please have your ballots to me by 3/26 @ 7 PM Eastern Time.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Stupid question from the new guy: Is standard practice to rank your team where you think they actually belong or to give yourself a boost? I don't want to be that guy that does the opposite of everyone else.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Stupid question from the new guy: Is standard practice to rank your team where you think they actually belong or to give yourself a boost? I don't want to be that guy that does the opposite of everyone else.

No, the default is to rank yourself first. If you don't you'll score lower than every other team in your division who does vote themselves first.

It's a little bonus for voting

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
No, the default is to rank yourself first. If you don't you'll score lower than every other team in your division who does vote themselves first.

It's a little bonus for voting

And just to be clear, because this can be confusing for first timers. You can only vote for yourself during the regular season. Come playoff time, you only vote for the series in which your team is not a part of.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Did you send PMs?

I will do that if not

Edit: Done

Thanks RB! I was going to get to it over lunch but thank you all the same sir. You got everyone correct?

I've always put my team #1 in regular season. I think most people do it this way The regular season voting is how we determine seeding and the first round match ups.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And just to be clear, because this can be confusing for first timers. You can only vote for yourself during the regular season. Come playoff time, you only vote for the series in which your team is not a part of.

This is correct!

Once playoff match ups start, you will vote on every series but your own through the duration of the playoffs.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Thanks everyone. That confirmed the impression I had from things I'd read, but as I thought about it, I thought it was much better to be safe than sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad