ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I enjoyed the distillation of Bun Cook's playstyle by @ImporterExporter, a very nice testament to a player that, at least I personally, knew less about than his linemates. I especially liked the fact that there was the beginning of an analysis on the different aspects of how Bun Cook played as compared to Frank Boucher, helping taking us beyond vague predicates of "defensive play" and rankings thereof. To make the point clearer, I'd certainly feel better about Steve Duchesne defending a smaller great skating player one on one than I would say, Derian Hatcher (to pick examples of players I picked in the previous draft) even with old school enforcement of rules on hooking and holding. Of course, that is just one situational aspect of defense, but those are rarely broken down in the defensive evaluation of players in this thing.

@TheDevilMadeMe if you are referring to Kevin Wong's various posts under various aliases on Bure, I frankly consider those to easily be among the best content on this site, and it is a bit uncharitable to view them as simply a bunch of YouTube clips strung together as a bunch of individual plays, given that he generally cited various contemporaneous written sources as well as video sources speaking about the player instead just of clips of the player along with statistics, and attempted to build a narrative of Bure's playstyle at different stages of his career.

Obviously, the best way to do any sort of talent evaluation with just video rather than live viewing, is to isolate every shift from a series of temporally and thematically associated games and view them holistically to make a judgement about that player at a particular point of his career, but I'll point out that who aside from Kevin Wong has done anything even approaching that for a retired player? (there are certainly things of this sort for prospects and junior players available online)

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think this is a little harsh. I agree with your general theme that "a bunch of individual plays" don't really mean much (I'm sure someone can find a bunch of quotes of Housley breaking up plays...and a few years ago, someone actually did unironically make a compilation of Pavel Bure's "all-round game" with youtube clips, which... ugh).

I did, however, find the overall praise of Bun Cook's defensive game, specifically his "puck ragging" to be fairly strong. To me, the biggest change was that I would have no problem seeing him as a 2nd unit PKer in the ATD.
I probably underrated Bun's value as a defensive player in the past, though I was well aware that he was a regular on the Rangers' 1st unit PK. That's about it as far as a mea culpa is concerned. He seemed to be physical enough, but less so than Bill, and good defensively, but less so than Frank...as I said last year. Offensively, I think my breakdown of what he'd look like as a 3rd liner (i.e. without all-time great linemates) is right on. Not a bad offensive player, but one whose specific career context makes his VsX score deceptive.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not out to make Bun Cook look like a superstar. I even clearly stated I don't think he should enjoy a major bounce in say the ATD. I don't see any reason Cecil Dillon should be drafted over Cook now. Why should Bobby Bauer go over him? He was a line driver, an inferior player on that great Boston unit. Relative offense and I don't think Bauer was as impactful defensively. Drafted in the same general area? Yep.

Since this player is on my team, and as I think this comparison is pretty outrageous, I have to speak up on this particular point...

I would have to go through your bio in more detail, but at most you may have shown Bun Cook is on Dillon's level defensively at ES (although to be clear, I'm not conceding that point at this time), but there's no way he's even close to Dillon offensively, who not only has a better vs.X score than Bun, but also led his team in scoring multiple times, while Bun was the weakest scorer on his own line, and surely had his numbers boosted by his linemates.

Dillon also led his team in scoring with 10 points in a Cup-winning playoff run (next closest guy on his team had 6 points).

As far as PK, you've shown Bun Cook can PK in the ATD, but I'm also not sure he's on Dillon's level there, as he has a lot of praise as a PKer.

It should also be noted that Dillon had much better AS team recognition.

I really see no argument for Bun here.

Finally, to be fair, I don't think Bauer is close to Dillon either.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I enjoyed the distillation of Bun Cook's playstyle by @ImporterExporter, a very nice testament to a player that, at least I personally, knew less about than his linemates. I especially liked the fact that there was the beginning of an analysis on the different aspects of how Bun Cook played as compared to Frank Boucher, helping taking us beyond vague predicates of "defensive play" and rankings thereof. To make the point clearer, I'd certainly feel better about Steve Duchesne defending a smaller great skating player one on one than I would say, Derian Hatcher (to pick examples of players I picked in the previous draft) even with old school enforcement of rules on hooking and holding. Of course, that is just one situational aspect of defense, but those are rarely broken down in the defensive evaluation of players in this thing.

@TheDevilMadeMe if you are referring to Kevin Wong's various posts under various aliases on Bure, I frankly consider those to easily be among the best content on this site, and it is a bit uncharitable to view them as simply a bunch of YouTube clips strung together as a bunch of individual plays, given that he generally cited various contemporaneous written sources as well as video sources speaking about the player instead just of clips of the player along with statistics, and attempted to build a narrative of Bure's playstyle at different stages of his career.

Obviously, the best way to do any sort of talent evaluation with just video rather than live viewing, is to isolate every shift from a series of temporally and thematically associated games and view them holistically to make a judgement about that player at a particular point of his career, but I'll point out that who aside from Kevin Wong has done anything even approaching that for a retired player? (there are certainly things of this sort for prospects and junior players available online)

Maybe it's the same group of videos you are referring to. The editing and presentation work were great, but some of the conclusions drawn were... not as much. A bunch of videos of a player backchecking doesn't show... the times he didn't backcheck.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Since this player is on my team, and as I think this comparison is pretty outrageous, I have to speak up on this particular point...

I would have to go through your bio in more detail, but at most you may have shown Bun Cook is on Dillon's level defensively at ES (although to be clear, I'm not conceding that point at this time), but there's no way he's even close to Dillon offensively, who not only has a better vs.X score than Bun, but also led his team in scoring multiple times, while Bun was the weakest scorer on his own line, and surely had his numbers boosted by his linemates.

Dillon also led his team in scoring with 10 points in a Cup-winning playoff run (next closest guy on his team had 6 points).

As far as PK, you've shown Bun Cook can PK in the ATD, but I'm also not sure he's on Dillon's level there, as he has a lot of praise as a PKer.

It should also be noted that Dillon had much better AS team recognition.

I really see no argument for Bun here.

Finally, to be fair, I don't think Bauer is close to Dillon either.

It seems we're going to generalize statements again. So allow me to respond sir.

"Not even close offensively"

I'll just get that out of the way:

7 year score:

Cecil Dillon 78.1
Brad Richards 78.0
Hooley Smith 78.0
Jacques Lemaire 77.9
Alexander Mogilny 77.7
Bernie Federko 77.6
Alexei Yashin 77.1
Yvan Cournoyer 77.1
Vincent Lecavalier 76.9
Phil Watson 76.7
Bun Cook 76.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10 year score:

Bun Cook 68.7
Rod Brind'Amour 68.6
Ray Whitney 68.5
Johnny Gottselig 68.5
Denis Potvin 68.4
Steve Larmer 68.2
Mike Ribeiro 68.1
Lanny McDonald 68.0
Lynn Patrick 67.9
Pavol Demitra 67.7
Phil Goyette 67.6
Alex Tanguay 67.6
Woody Dumart 67.5
Pete Mahovlich 67.5
Tony Amonte 67.5
Rick Middleton 67.2
Jakub Voracek 67.1
Cecil Dillon 67.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So if we're going to use Sturm's mathematics curriculum for evaluations, that doesn't equate "nowhere close". Barely in front in the 7 year version, barely behind in the 10 year study.

There is plenty of evidence that would conclude any advantage Cook got from playing with Boucher and Bill, was somewhat negated by his attention to the defensive side of the game. If he was, as incorrectly stated a year ago, was a bland player, doing nothing but leeching off 2 superior players, I'd agree with you. The fact is, he was much better defensively than previously known, at ES or on the kill. He contributed in many ways beyond simple numbers. That matters in analyzing numerical values.

AS nods is not a great barometer as Bun Cook suffers from the NHL not recognizing league AS prior to 1931. He also faced stiff competition from Joliat and Busher Jackson during his prime. 1929-30 he outscored Joliat (Cooks career high in scoring) and was in the thick of his prime. There's a good chance he might have tallied an AS nod this year, even if only a 2nd team especially given what was being written within this time frame. And when Cecil Dillon led the Rangers in scoring, they were players such as Phil Watson, Neil Colville, and Lynn Patrick. Not exactly offensive powerhouses.

So offensively there is clearly not a big gap. Maybe a small one? Sure, I'm not going to argue that too hard. But I balk at "nowhere close".

Defensively, if someone wants to make the case Dillon was better, be my guest. I'm not researching Dillon but with what I have, compared to what is available on Dillon? I'm not buying it. I won't even say Cook was superior. But if they are equal defensively, and offensively there isn't much of a gap if any, then what's the issue with comparing them side by side and concluding there isn't much of a gap?

Cook contributed to a pair of SC winners. Dillon was very, very good in his 1 title run. Beyond that? Nothing. Bun Cook, largely by the request of Frank Selke IIRC, got into the HOF, largely based on his defensive game apparently and my bio only reinforces the notion he was very good in that arena. Cecil Dillon is not enshrined. I don't think Cook is a HOF (I have very high standards) but he's there. Dillon isn't.

Cook was good enough to Mikhailov the Bread Line at times. It's not even debatable at this point. Right there in print by the people who witnessed them play. That is one of the most significant discoveries and should be treated with acclaim because it concretely ends the notion that Bun was just some distant passenger. That was the biggest stereotype being thrown around on Cook, along with an apparent lack of intangibles, which would also seem to be a ridiculous notion now.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry I don't have much time, but a few quick comments

So if we're going to use Sturm's mathematics curriculum for evaluations, that doesn't equate "nowhere close". Barely in front in the 7 year version, barely behind in the 10 year study.

There is plenty of evidence that would conclude any advantage Cook got from playing with Boucher and Bill, was somewhat negated by his attention to the defensive side of the game.
Players had shorter careers then, IMO the 7 yr figure is more meaningful.

Dillon was paying at least as much attention to the defensive side of the game, so IMO your point there is moot. And this is still not factoring in Bun Cook playing with two legends on his line.

AS nods is not a great barometer as Bun Cook suffers from the NHL not recognizing league AS prior to 1931. He also faced stiff competition from Joliat and Busher Jackson during his prime. 1929-30 he outscored Joliat (Cooks career high in scoring) and was in the thick of his prime. There's a good chance he might have tallied an AS nod this year, even if only a 2nd team especially given what was being written within this time frame.

We have GM selected AS Teams from 1926-27 to 1929-30, Bun Cook is not listed on any of them. And it's not like he was finishing in 3rd behind Joliat and Jackson the years we do have voting for.

FWIW, Dillon's two 2nd team AS selections were behind Conacher and Aurie. In the first part of his career (when he led the league in playoff scoring) Dillon was stuck behind Bill Cook on the Rangers depth chart.

And when Cecil Dillon led the Rangers in scoring, they were players such as Phil Watson, Neil Colville, and Lynn Patrick. Not exactly offensive powerhouses.
Fair but they were decent teams. In the years Dillon led the team in scoring they did this:
Finished 4th - no playoffs
Finished 3rd - Lost Cup Final
Finished 2nd - Lost 1st Round

Just to be clear, you did some fine research here, I definitely think higher of Bun Cook than I did going into this draft, I just don't think he's on Cecil Dillon's level.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So I've been meaning to say what I take from your Bun Cook bio. This is as good a time as any:

1) He was obviously a very good defensive player. I wouldn't use him as a shadow or anything, but he's a fine choice for the defensive conscience of a scoring line.
2) Likewise, you found good evidence of him penalty killing and "puck ragging." I would feel no hesitation using him on a 2nd PK unit in the ATD
3) The evidence of his physical play is... pretty thin. A few big hits, one of whom put Pit Lepine in the hospital? Meh. Compared to what other players in the era did, it's just... I buy that Bun Cook wasn't soft, that he can help perform "puck winning by committee," but I'd never use him as the bodyguard next to 2 soft players, that's for sure.

1. Agree.

Not a world beater but someone who is certainly above average at the ATD level IMO, though I think he was pretty clearly better than that in the NHL, in the late 20's/early 30's. But you have to adjust here in the ATD, where the players are going to be better top to bottom.

I think he's probably better than above average (good) if you ask him to play a bottom 6 role and focus on defensive hockey more so than contributing evenly to the offensive equation. Remember there are instances beyond simple game reports that talk about him being a star, league wide, defensively. Always seeming to be in the right spot at the critical time is another one of my favorites. Those things illustrate a consistent ability beyond a single game report. There are many instances of this part of his game being brought up, as well as some retrospective accounts.

2. Agree partly.

I think he's capable of playing on a top unit to be honest.

If you see the volume of work he got there, coupled with his defensive reputation, be it game reports or retrospectives, I wouldn't be overly worried about him on a #1 unit. He's got the skating you absolutely want, ability to turn on a dime, in short areas at a very quick rate, and had the long speed. Seems, again IMO, to have good IQ which you definitely want in that arena. Is he Bobby Clarke or even Bob Pulford? Absolutely not.

However, if you read closely, you consistently see Cook's name on the PK. Sometimes you see Boucher, or Bill, or someone else, but his name comes up more consistently as a killer than any of his teammates and when you couple his ability to rag = a top unit player in the ATD.

His best traits as a player seem to be skating/speed, stick handling, defensive impact, smarts, and then it starts to drop off further on an all time scale IMO.

We can get a decent idea of his usage (obviously not enough information to come up with kill rate like we see in the 1960 onward study), which seems like a lot, over a number of years. So without a kill rate available, I then shift to defensive rep for these earlier era guys and his rep seems to be strong defensively. So he has the rep plus the usage and that = 1st unit.

Again, to be clear, I'm not advocating him as someone who's elite/great, just capable of being a solid sidekick to a superior PK forward. On a 2nd unit, I'd agree, he'd certainly be more valuable and that could allow him to get some 2nd team reps on the PP if you needed it.

3. I don't agree with most of this.

For the record I never said he was an elite physical presence. I think he's a notch below the Smokey Harris/Northcott level. Those players consistently played a violent style and there would seem (at least in Harris' case) to be more instance of specific big checks and looking for the heavy going, whereas Cook's instances are more sporadic but enough, over a long enough time that leads me to believe he should be considered a good fore checker and someone who could clearly win battles in the corners, making scoring plays directly from those scrums (bio has this).

He's a willing fighter but not a heavyweight by any stretch. I do agree, as a bodyguard he'd be in way over his head. Then again, on a team with Scott Stevens and Earl Seibert (love the fact that Eddie Shore wouldn't fight him and said if Seibert lost it he'd have killed everyone) I'm not overly worried about needing to police anything given those 2 will be on the ice the majority of the game (50ish minutes combined).

Again, you're only bringing up 2 hits as the primary pieces of evidence. There are other passages that specifically mention his being good in the corners, physical play, checking, etc.

I'm just quickly ripping these from the bio:

Bun started his career by joining his brother out west in the WCHL. He quickly gained a reputation as a hard nosed goal scorer, and the NHL soon took notice of both of the Cook brothers, who were playing with the legendary Nels Stewart while in Saskatchewan.

A solid offensive contributor, Bun was a fan favorite in the old Madison Square Garden because of his hustling speed and reckless physical play. He was a bit of a celebrity, drawing praise from the likes of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Ed Sullivan

His brother Bun was the key to the attack with intricate passing and the ability to move and pass into an open space. He also was no stranger to mucking it up in the corners. Boucher was perhaps the best of the three players, orchestrating the attack with brilliant playmaking skills which often resulted in one of the Cooks pushing the puck into the open net.

Bunny Cook served up a pretty bit of body checking that George McNamara showed him while with the Soo Greyhounds and it sure tickled the crowd, especially when he exchanged bumps with Gordon Fraser and Clem Loughlin.

Bunny Cook, the younger of the pair, was seen here with Sault Ste. Marie the year the Greyhounds went through to win the Allan Cup, and joined brother Bill in Saskatoon the following season. He has more than made good in the “big time”

Both boys are big, rugged chaps, who can paddle their way through the heavy going, and are both possessed of plenty of hockey ability.

“Some premonition kept Boucher idling near the net and his hunch clicked for Bun Cook while struggling for possession of the disc on the right got the rubber in the crook of his stick and wheeling, spun the puck across the goal mouth and Boucher banged it in. What a yell across then."

Hardly had they been parked there when Bunny Cook worked his way out of the corner, stood up under Starr’s shattering check, and slid in close to lay a backhander into the far side of the net from a stick lengths out.

Gagne and Keeling got the gate for banging each other around. Bun Cook whacked a terrific shot at Connell, then took a pass from Frankie Boucher, raced in on Starr’s side and backhanded a terrific shot into the net, and the Garden went wild. Papers and programs showered down onto the ice acclaim the goal that tied the series again.

Picture Taking Spoils Day for Ranger Sextet:

Your Garden ambassador went p***y-footing down the line of lockers, looking for items. But he was soon disillusioned.

“Is your paper taking this picture?” demanded the ordinarily mild-mannered Bun Cook threateningly.
I hastened to put in a disclaimer, having seen Bun in just such other moments body-checking up on the ice.

Frank Boucher scored the opening goal on a clever pass from Bun Cook.

Almost at the outset of the first period, Bun Cook out wrestled two Detroiters along the end boards and passed out in front of the cage. Boucher stepped in fast and batted the puck into the goal.

Bun Cook gave a brilliant exhibition of feinting to get in for a close up shot that brought a remarkable save from Cude.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That doesn't seem to go against what TDMM says. Maybe you're talking past each other a bit, but I kind of draw a distinction between "pretty good in the corners" and "physical player" - especially in that era. I'm sure if he caught you right you'd end up on your ass, but I don't think of a huge banger or anything like that.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
That doesn't seem to go against what TDMM says. Maybe you're talking past each other a bit, but I kind of draw a distinction between "pretty good in the corners" and "physical player" - especially in that era. I'm sure if he caught you right you'd end up on your ass, but I don't think of a huge banger or anything like that.

I agree completely. He's clearly not an elite physical presence. Wouldn't even call him great. But good? Yeah, given that info + his size which was well above average for the era.

To be clear, I don't think anything drastically changes for Cook. He doesn't all of a sudden jump 150 spots in the draft. The final product just clued us into the nuances of his game and allowed us to see that he was highly thought of in at least a few areas (defensively, skating, stickhandling, and puck ragging) be it game day reporting or reflective passages. That and his standing as a member of the Bread Line should improve IMO. When Bangor Maine, and Montreal/Ottawa papers are talking about your importance to the functionality of the line itself, and there were multiple instances where Bun being out of the lineup caused it to degrade considerably, I think that is fairly significant as the previous stereotype was that Bun was a literal passenger and nothing more. Those were strong refutes of the notion that Bun didn't play much of a role.

Beyond that, yeah, nothing overly earth shattering. I think the biggest knock on him is probably his penchant for taking a dumb penalty or two. He's nowhere near say Cully Wilson or someone of that nature, but he had a pretty short fuse and could snap. Not uncommon for that time period but a Lady Byng he was not haha.

I do stand by the end result that he's at least near Cecil Dillon, namely based on offensive and defensive values being almost dead on equal. I would still give Dillon the slight edge based on AS nods, I just don't think Dillon's overall game is really that much different from Cook if you look at those bio's side by side and Dillon is certainly a notch below Cook in physicality I'd wager. That's just my updated conclusion but I fully understand if that's a minority opinion.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I do stand by the end result that he's at least near Cecil Dillon, namely based on offensive and defensive values being almost dead on equal.
This is almost certainly false. The main basis for this assertion is the similarity in their VsX scores, and comparisons between these can be deceptive in extreme circumstances. Cecil Dillon amassed most of his offensive output playing on that era's version of a checking line (a 2nd unit) while Bun Cook skated alongside two top-50 all-time players at even strength. They are not close offensively; Dillon is much better. Dillon's number is deceptively low, while Bun's is deceptively high.

Cecil Dillon is also arguably the greatest penalty-killing forward of his generation, and held the record for SHG in a season for a long time in spite of expansions to the length of the regular season schedule. iirc, his record wasn't broken until the 1970s.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I do stand by the end result that he's at least near Cecil Dillon, namely based on offensive and defensive values being almost dead on equal. I would still give Dillon the slight edge based on AS nods, I just don't think Dillon's overall game is really that much different from Cook if you look at those bio's side by side and Dillon is certainly a notch below Cook in physicality I'd wager. That's just my updated conclusion but I fully understand if that's a minority opinion.

How are their offensive values equal? You seriously don't think Bun's scoring numbers were helped at all by playing with Frank Boucher and brother Bill? Or that Dillon's scoring was more impressive when he was his team's leading scorer and very likely getting more attention from opposing defenders?
EDIT: Adding what @Sturminator said above, Dillon played a good chunk of his career on a checking line stuck behind Bill Cook

You also forgot to mention playoffs, where Dillon has a retro Smythe, and where Bun Cook saw a 44% drop in scoring from regular season and where Dillon saw only a 19% drop (looking at playoff years only).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How are their offensive values equal? You seriously don't think Bun's scoring numbers were helped at all by playing with Frank Boucher and brother Bill? Or that Dillon's scoring was more impressive when he was his team's leading scorer and very likely getting more attention from opposing defenders?
EDIT: Adding what @Sturminator said above, Dillon played a good chunk of his career on a checking line stuck behind Bill Cook

You also forgot to mention playoffs, where Dillon has a retro Smythe, and where Bun Cook saw a 44% drop in scoring from regular season and where Dillon saw only a 19% drop (looking at playoff years only).

Dillon was a better scorer, mainly because he was a much bigger driver of that scoring. He was used a lot on special teams, so his ES scoring isn’t that good.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Honestly - this gets to one of my few negatives with the ATD. I love the knowledge collected, but it's collected to prove a point ("my player is good and you all should think so") rather than in a vacuum.

I think Bun may be a bit undervalued or underappreciated, but Dillon's situation was entirely different and he did more with less. Even if Bun wasn't just a passenger on the Bread Line (and I don't think he was), he still *obviously* gets significant benefit from playing with two superior players on his line.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This is almost certainly false. The main basis for this assertion is the similarity in their VsX scores, and comparisons between these can be deceptive in extreme circumstances. Cecil Dillon amassed most of his offensive output playing on that era's version of a checking line (a 2nd unit) while Bun Cook skated alongside two top-50 all-time players at even strength. They are not close offensively; Dillon is much better. Dillon's number is deceptively low, while Bun's is deceptively high.

Cecil Dillon is also arguably the greatest penalty-killing forward of his generation, and held the record for SHG in a season for a long time in spite of expansions to the length of the regular season schedule. iirc, his record wasn't broken until the 1970s.

Bun Cook was used in a more defensive manner when they were both scoring line players. Of this I have little doubt about. That is based on circumstance/need.

We'll agree to disagree on the offensive angle. You'd have to greatly fudge those 7 year scores to make Cook "not close", unless my idea of what not close means is vastly different than you guys haha.

I'm going by what is available on Dillon and what I read through about 35/36 and the metrics we have at our disposal. I think some of the gains playing with Boucher/Bill were negated by his defensive resume and usage. Cook's technical abilities are noted often not just once here and there. I don't think it's hard to see he was a skilled player, capable of scoring all sorts of goals, and creating all sorts of scoring chances. His IQ was strong. He simply played a career where he was the primary defensive conscious. I don't get the impression he was able to just rush forward at will and pad his numbers further by playing with 2 superstars and the fact the line more or less collapsed the handful of times Bun was absent, speaks to his importance in it working smoothly, which I value, apparently more than some.

When Dillon was a leading scorer, it was on a team void of any stars at forward. He would have been needed in a more offensive role whereas Cook was being used as a trailing forward (though he also clearly drove the line at least on season) on the bread line. This is pretty clearly defined throughout the late 20's and early 30's. Cook's knack for "always being in the right spot at the critical moment", clearing rebounds, blocking shots, being lavished with defensive praise, be it game reports, retrospectives/post career by pretty knowledgeable folks (Patrick and Selke). It's just such a rounded pile of praise. It's not just poke checks at center ice.

His name is more consistently mentioned defensively speaking when Cook/Dillon overlapped. Certainly from what I read. Whatever gap there is on the PK, which isn't much IMO, unless you're really getting hung up on short handed points which screws Cook as his prime occurred in the years prior to those numbers being tracked accurately and once they were, he was about shot as a player (arthritic condition).

I'm open to changing my mind more towards your (and HT's position) but I'd like to see all the praise for Dillon as I have shown for Cook. I do not see the evidence that Dillon was better defensively at ES.

Bun was compared to Cyclone Taylor and Duke Keats as it pertained to skating/ragging and Roy Conacher (offensively). He was clearly used on the kill A LOT and praised for his efforts many times.

Just don't see a major gap here. The biggest difference is 3-1 AS nods favoring Dillon, IMO.

Compare what I have compiled for Cook against this Cecil Dillon and I don't see content that scream Dillon was a significantly better player. Specifically pre-1935 when Cook was still playing. Are there post career sources that confirm this?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bun Cook was used in a more defensive manner when they were both scoring line players. Of this I have little doubt about. That is based on circumstance/need.

We'll agree to disagree on the offensive angle. You'd have to greatly fudge those 7 year scores to make Cook "not close", unless my idea of what not close means is vastly different than you guys haha.

I'm going by what is available on Dillon and what I read through about 35/36 and the metrics we have at our disposal. I think some of the gains playing with Boucher/Bill were negated by his defensive resume and usage. Cook's technical abilities are noted often not just once here and there. I don't think it's hard to see he was a skilled player, capable of scoring all sorts of goals, and creating all sorts of scoring chances. His IQ was strong. He simply played a career where he was the primary defensive conscious. I don't get the impression he was able to just rush forward at will and pad his numbers further by playing with 2 superstars and the fact the line more or less collapsed the handful of times Bun was absent, speaks to his importance in it working smoothly, which I value, apparently more than some.

When Dillon was a leading scorer, it was on a team void of any stars at forward. He would have been needed in a more offensive role whereas Cook was being used as a trailing forward (though he also clearly drove the line at least on season) on the bread line. This is pretty clearly defined throughout the late 20's and early 30's. Cook's knack for "always being in the right spot at the critical moment", clearing rebounds, blocking shots, being lavished with defensive praise, be it game reports, retrospectives/post career by pretty knowledgeable folks (Patrick and Selke). It's just such a rounded pile of praise. It's not just poke checks at center ice.

His name is more consistently mentioned defensively speaking when Cook/Dillon overlapped. Certainly from what I read. Whatever gap there is on the PK, which isn't much IMO, unless you're really getting hung up on short handed points which screws Cook as his prime occurred in the years prior to those numbers being tracked accurately and once they were, he was about shot as a player (arthritic condition).

I'm open to changing my mind more towards your (and HT's position) but I'd like to see all the praise for Dillon as I have shown for Cook. I do not see the evidence that Dillon was better defensively at ES.

Bun was compared to Cyclone Taylor and Duke Keats as it pertained to skating/ragging and Roy Conacher (offensively). He was clearly used on the kill A LOT and praised for his efforts many times.

Just don't see a major gap here. The biggest difference is 3-1 AS nods favoring Dillon, IMO.

Compare what I have compiled for Cook against this Cecil Dillon and I don't see content that scream Dillon was a significantly better player. Specifically pre-1935 when Cook was still playing. Are there post career sources that confirm this?

A lot of this post sounds like you're assuming a player cannot play a defensive role and still put up good offensive numbers and/or be both the best offensive and defensive player on a line.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
A lot of this post sounds like you're assuming a player cannot play a defensive role and still put up good offensive numbers and/or be both the best offensive and defensive player on a line.

Not at all.

Simply pointing out there are pro's and con's and differences to playing on a line where you are needed to score and a line where you aren't needed to score. Cook played a very strong defensive role over the entirety of his career and still managed similar scoring totals.

Now, if we're simply going to penalize Cook for being on the Bread Line in the VsX realm, and leave it at that, I'm going to counter, as I think it's nowhere near thorough enough. Dillon didn't lose points to a war or health reason. If Dillon would have been on the Bread Line in his prime, what evidence is there to suggest his scoring totals (as he'd probably be used in the exact manner Cook was) would be drastically better? Honestly. It's not like he was destroying the league as the primary player post Boucher/Cook.

Like I said, we have to really move the 7 year scores, in BOTH directions to conclude that Dillon was a significantly better offensive player. And simply throwing out "Cook played on the Bread Line" is overly simplistic to hang a hat on.

Let me put it this way. If a prime Bun Cook was in the position Dillon was in the mid/late 30's, there is little reason for me to conclude Cook wouldn't have managed similar scoring totals. With his speed, stick handling ability and good balance between goals/assists, it's not an outlandish end game. Cook clearly wasn't a guy who was just banging in rebounds/tipping in perfect passes from Boucher.

As for defensive rep?

I'm going on what I have vs what is available on Dillon. The biggest advantage Dillon has is short handed points (which isn't even relevant to ES) which screws Cook considerably given those numbers weren't tracked prior to 33/34, unless I'm blind. PK'ing is one of the most prevalent mentions regarding Bun and he was thrown in the same sentence as some really, really good HOF'ers. I think the praise is pretty significant for the era.

And to be clear, I didn't investigate a ton beyond 1935/36 so there could be many passages that would tip the scales considerably in the other direction but right now I don't see a bevy of things, especially retrospectively that get me to Dillon being tier(s) better. I'd wager a player like that would have eventually made the HOF, especially with 3 AS nods and a very good SC winning run to his name.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Honestly - this gets to one of my few negatives with the ATD. I love the knowledge collected, but it's collected to prove a point ("my player is good and you all should think so") rather than in a vacuum.

I think Bun may be a bit undervalued or underappreciated, but Dillon's situation was entirely different and he did more with less. Even if Bun wasn't just a passenger on the Bread Line (and I don't think he was), he still *obviously* gets significant benefit from playing with two superior players on his line.

Largely, no, it's not.

If you think I'm spending an insane amount of time (between last year and this year, it has been the most significant of my life) to simply prove a point in a fantasy draft, your assumptions run too far. Is it a factor? Sure, but not a big one. Competition fuels a desire to investigate for me. Yes, I want the player to come out looking better than he did before I start the investigation but I actually do enjoy looking for this stuff. And these bio's can and should aid when it comes to the HoH top (whatever) projects. So there are values beyond just the ATD.

Pete Green really lit a fire in me to continue these deeper dives. That bio specifically made me truly realize how much I enjoy the research, collecting of the information, as it aids all of us in understanding what really went on, 80, 90, 100+ years ago. These time periods have so much to unearth. It's a gold mine out there. Just takes a long time to compile haha.

Someone, hopefully many, will read these entries and come away with a lot more knowledge on a player or coach. I've benefited greatly from the work of others in this regard.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Defensively I like the Robinson, Clarke, Brodeur trio. I look forward to reading the first round matchup.

The Jack Han book points out that Clarke had no hands and was bad in transition (I bet he was a good build-up passer tho). You're welcome.

Obviously we all know he had tremendous hockey sense and was one of the best players in the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad