ATD 2021 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
My list of wings has been getting decimated, but I got lucky and there’s one guy left on it. He’s arguably the best wing available, which is surprising because you usually have to pay a premium for physical/power forward types in this thing. On top of that, he’s a great fit with either Boucher or Richard.

Chicago is very happy to select 2X Hart runner up/3x Finalist, 2x Richard winner, Pearson winner, Art Ross winner, Jarome Iginla, RW

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Duncan Keith was arguably the best defenseman available, but certainly not the last of any tier.

He would have possibly been my top pick, since he can play defensive guy on a rounded pairing or the puck mover on a shut down pair.

Yeah, had Clapper not fallen to 76 Keith was my backup choice.

I think he's definitely a 1D in a draft of this size

Reactions: Voight

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
My list of wings has been getting decimated, but I got lucky and there’s one guy left on it. He’s arguably the best wing available, which is surprising because you usually have to pay a premium for physical/power forward types in this thing. On top of that, he’s a great fit with either Boucher or Richard.

Chicago is very happy to select 2X Hart runner up/3x Finalist, 2x Richard winner, Pearson winner, Art Ross winner, Jarome Iginla, RW

Perfect fit for Boucher IMO. Cook-lite.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
51cK9NWOuGL._AC_SX425_.jpg

With Kane, Hull and Iginla being picked this makes my pick easy.

Ice Rays will pick RW #26 Martin St. Louis. His passing should help our top line and he spent years playing with a goal scoring centermen so playing with Lemieux will be seamless.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I think he might be better than Weber, though it’s really close. He’s probably better than Gerard. Jack Stewart, maybe.
Difference is Weber's a right shot and Keith is a left. There are plenty of left shot top pairing defensemen, not many right shot defensemen. Also, Weber is A LOT more physical then Keith.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

When I picked Conacher, Iginla was the only other winger I really looked at for Getzky. I thought about picking Gadsby and hope Iggy dropped. Glad I didn’t.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Difference is Weber's a right shot and Keith is a left. There are plenty of left shot top pairing defensemen, not many right shot defensemen. Also, Weber is A LOT more physical then Keith.

Yeah, I had Weber ahead of Keith on my list two, but they are basically even with different styles.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Keith is great and all but, his skillset isn't so useful compared to Weber in the ATD. Weber can play either 1st PP or 1st PK with ease, and can play with any kind of defenseman on his pairing.

If you have the special units covered, then Keith is a great ES D.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
They are a bit apples/oranges. xG% and HDCF% is telling tho. Then again, Weber plays zone and Keith is forced to play man by a foolishly run Hawks team, so Weber's sole purpose is to shut down high danger.Not really Keith's fault. Also, if we just include peaks, obviously Keith's numbers are much better without his steep decline. Weber hasn't had a visible decline, tho he wasn't very good when he didn't have Danault on the ice last season. He is carrying Chariot, who is a turnover machine and not suited to help Weber move the puck.They are great down low, and to be fair Montreal's other centers were kids.

Dmen Adv Stats_Redacted.jpg

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Keith has been the best dman available for awhile, but his skillset is better suited to being a #1 than a #2 on most teams and at 24 teams, it makes sense that he gets boxed out of being a #1.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Keith has been the best dman available for awhile, but his skillset is better suited to being a #1 than a #2 on most teams and at 24 teams, it makes sense that he gets boxed out of being a #1.

Are you sure that Keith is better than Gerard, for example?

Both were #1D on multiple cups. And Gerard probably would have won a pair of Norris, or close.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Are you sure that Keith is better than Gerard, for example?

Both were #1D on multiple cups. And Gerard probably would have won a pair of Norris, or close.

It's not exactly easy to be "sure" about a defenseman who played before there were awards for defensemen!

On a ranking list, I'd rank Keith higher - Gerard's longevity wasn't great.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's not exactly easy to be "sure" about a defenseman who played before there were awards for defensemen!

On a ranking list, I'd rank Keith higher - Gerard's longevity wasn't great.

True, I was asking for too much for the scope of this discussion.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
1994 Leetch, 2006 Pronger, 2015 Keith - 3 best playoff runs by a d-man in the last 30 years.

As a Hawks fan tho that 2015 run was something else.

That run was special because the Hawks blueline was in jeopardy and the bench was short. They were largely functioning on 4 defensemen, or 5, and Keith took most of the heavy lifting playing 31+ min a game, and dominated.

Reactions: Voight

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
That run was special because the Hawks blueline was in jeopardy and the bench was short. They were largely functioning on 4 defensemen, or 5, and Keith took most of the heavy lifting playing 31+ min a game, and dominated.

They had such a fine-tuned highwire medium danger system where they would allow chances from JUST to the side of the slot and then fast strike counter. That was a crazy playoff run, just wide open craziness, but there was a method to their madness and it worked. Kind of like Buffalo's system with Hasek but from even chancier spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad