ATD 2020 Signup and Discussion

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
By the way guys... newspapers.com. I won't say it enough times. Yes, it costs about 20$ a month I think. But you pay for it near the end of the draft, and you can save the pages, so you don't have to pay for multiple months if you don't want to. Just go on a spree. The newspapers are actually searchable on this site, so it's real easy. It's a gold mine with so much untapped potential ! Forget about google newspapers archive, invest the 20$ (if budget permits) and you will be able to make great bios.

This is great for Vancouver, Ottawa, some of Montreal and many US newspapers. Toronto is once again the great darkness, but so be it. You can still search for all the away games of Toronto players in every other cities.

There are also other free sources for newspapers for the Canadian Prairies and west-coast cities, such as this one: Newspapers

There you go, another gold mine ! Just check the dates and start digging.

There is also the BanQ with countless free french newspapers, but I understand most of you don't speak french so nevermind that one. I believe there are english newspapers on the BanQ, such as Quebec City The Crhonicle, which overpass used for his Joe Malone bio (and which I wished I had known about when I made that Joe Hall bio in 2016).

All of this is easy once you did it for 10 minutes. If someone needs help, shoot me a PM I'll walk you through it (I know it can be a pain to learn to maneuver through stuff like that).

This should be added to the resources page.

Reactions: VanIslander

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Maybe some people are not interested in participating because it has gotten stale (I don’t agree, but I could see it), but I think a bigger issue contributing to the lack of interest over the last couple years is the attitude of some of the participants. People care more about winning than talking hockey and actually comparing players of different eras.

As a result, people fire off some childish and/or aggressive posts, which people respond to with equally childish and/or aggressive posts. It has sucked the life out of the game, in my opinion. Just speaking for myself, but I think hobbies should relax you more than frustrate and incite you.

I do think interest will return to the ATD... but it is likely going to take a few years of relatively small “seasons” of (hopefully) more chill and respectful discussion.

Good luck to everyone who participates this year.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
QMFticjO_400x400.jpg

Corpus Christi Ice Rays are here.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Absolutely. People age and get caught up in real life as well.

But part of this fade really does come down to an unwillingness to try something radically different as the main ATD. If you don't adapt with the times you die (in a business sense at least).

The other aspect is you have, 2-3 people who routinely dominate the ATD as it stands. Now, those few people are very, very good GM's and know how to build a consistently good team year in and year out but make no mistake, there have been years where I truly believe name recognition gets certain people a few votes extra. That is both in the ATD and in the side bar drafts.

I find it asinine that we have never really updated the voting or post draft procedures to introduce new voters or new ideas. Getting crowned champ when only 7-8 people vote takes the shine off the entire draft. Even in years when we've had 20-30 GM's, how often are more than half of those people even giving one **** once the draft ends? How often have we had entire match ups not even get a single post in the head to head threads?

Why have we never extended voting to reputable members of the HoH community? Folks who may never have done an ATD but are more than versed on players throughout hockey history. There is a potential to get a slew of extra votes from that sub forum and I have suggested this in the past. Ask people like MXD, C58, Tarheel, etc, to get involved as judges.

Maybe some of that is people realize their team didn't end up the way they envisioned and are simply not motivated to go further. I'm certainly not that way. There have been a few teams that I've build that had no business competing with others and I still argue my case. Why bother even participating if you just "quit" after the drafting ends?

Some of it, again, boils down to the fact that we keep doing the same thing, year in and year out, with window dressing fixes (trade or no trades or drafting 2 teams for example).

I think drafting 2 teams is a horrendous idea. That alone would push me out if I was on the edge. If you ever wondered about collusion or shady practices, look no further than GM's making picks for one team that possibly allow another player they want to fall to their primary roster. There will be selective picking. I'd bet my house on it.

I won't participate for reasons I've already outlined previously that have nothing to do with the make up of the draft this year.

But as someone who's done a bunch of these drafts I feel it's important to voice concerns.

Why didn't you step up when I was looking for a new commish? Looks like the perfect position to try your new leadership style and ideas, yet all I heard was crickets.

Lots of complaining, little in the way of actual actions. Where is your auction draft? I was actually curious about it, where is it? Where are the rules and deadlines?

You make your big entrance in the living room and take a big dump in the middle of it, then leave. That's what you're actually doing right now.This doesn't help us in any way whatsoever. We don't need a dissertation on the decline of the ATD, we need enthousiastic people who take actions and try stuff on their own initiative.

If you want to step up, step up. I'd be more than happy to play quiet in my corner while someone else is driving the car. In reality last year the draft was available to any dictator who wanted it so he could shape it any way he preferred. This year too probably. Again, crickets and some complaining.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Why didn't you step up when I was looking for a new commish? Looks like the perfect position to try your new leadership style and ideas, yet all I heard was crickets.

Lots of complaining, little in the way of actual actions. Where is your auction draft? I was actually curious about it, where is it? Where are the rules and deadlines?

You make your big entrance in the living room and take a big dump in the middle of it, then leave. That's what you're actually doing right now.This doesn't help us in any way whatsoever. We don't need a dissertation on the decline of the ATD, we need enthousiastic people who take actions and try stuff on their own initiative.

If you want to step up, step up. I'd be more than happy to play quiet in my corner while someone else is driving the car. In reality last year the draft was available to any dictator who wanted it so he could shape it any way he preferred. This year too probably. Again, crickets and some complaining.

You're just illustrating why I will not be a part of the ATD as it stands. I simply offer up ideas on why I think the ATD is where it is. Simple opinions. I don't name names, I don't personally go after a single person, yet here we are BB. I've already stated what I think needs to happen with a regular draft based version of the ATD. Couldn't be more clear over the past few years.

RMartin brought up a great point. And as I did before, will absolutely take responsibility as someone who has been an ass a handful of times during the debate stages. It happened in a finals match up between RM and I and it was then I realized that I had gotten to caught up in trying to win the draft rather than just enjoying the process which is what we should all be doing. If it doesn't feel like that to you or anyone else I'd suggest doing something else. Last years conclusion was the icing on the cake for me. You know what I mean.

My auction draft sign ups and rules thread will be happening soon. I will be doing the bulk of the leg work in year 1 because it's the only way I see it working from start to finish although if all runs smoothly, I would absolutely look for non auction members to run some of the behind the scenes stuff. All volunteer base of course.

Call it a test run but I think people will be more than curious when they see what I propose.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You're just illustrating why I will not be a part of the ATD as it stands. I simply offer up ideas on why I think the ATD is where it is. Simple opinions. I don't name names, I don't personally go after a single person, yet here we are BB. I've already stated what I think needs to happen with a regular draft based version of the ATD. Couldn't be more clear over the past few years.

RMartin brought up a great point. And as I did before, will absolutely take responsibility as someone who has been an ass a handful of times during the debate stages. It happened in a finals match up between RM and I and it was then I realized that I had gotten to caught up in trying to win the draft rather than just enjoying the process which is what we should all be doing. If it doesn't feel like that to you or anyone else I'd suggest doing something else. Last years conclusion was the icing on the cake for me. You know what I mean.

My auction draft sign ups and rules thread will be happening soon. I will be doing the bulk of the leg work in year 1 because it's the only way I see it working from start to finish although if all runs smoothly, I would absolutely look for non auction members to run some of the behind the scenes stuff. All volunteer base of course.

Call it a test run but I think people will be more than curious when they see what I propose.

Yeah well, if you don't want to help us out by participating, at least don't spoil it for the rest of us who are trying to make it happen.

Opinions are fine but your timing is brutal. Any newcomer who enters this thread will see 4-5 negative posts in a row and just leave. Your comments aren't helping in any way, just face it. This is true even if we assume that what you say is true and correct.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm considering participating, but if I do I probably won't vote (like usual). I just don't know enough about really old players yet to vote confidently and I don't want to taint the results. o_O

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm considering participating, but if I do I probably won't vote (like usual). I just don't know enough about really old players yet to vote confidently and I don't want to taint the results. o_O

No problem, you can participate and only vote if you feel the players have been explained enough by the GMs.

This tells me we need better selling, assassination and series discussion.

We need you in !

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah well, if you don't want to help us out by participating, at least don't spoil it for the rest of us who are trying to make it happen.

Opinions are fine but your timing is brutal. Any newcomer who enters this thread will see 4-5 negative posts in a row and just leave. Your comments aren't helping in any way, just face it. This is true even if we assume that what you say is true and correct.

Nobody was signing up before I posted anything anyway. There are reasons for that. I think the ATD is a great thing for newcomers. I fully endorse the draft to anyone new who reads this. I lurked for years before ever getting into the ATD in 2014-15 i think it was. The amount of information I've taken in is staggering and the ATD is specifically the reason for that.

I just don't want to be a part of it anymore in the current design.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I really don't know if I have time to give this my all, but I can't turn down the chance to have 2 teams after I've been throwing the idea out for years. I'm in. New Jersey Swamp Devils and New Jersey Parking Lot Devils

To new posters - don't let sour grape by 1-2 former GMs stop you from signing up!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is there a link to the last rules and regulations regarding this draft? Also, are there any weekend "deadlines"? Thanks.

The rules for the last draft are at the beginning of the post for the draft thread: ATD2019 Draft Thread II

Would love to have you.

Re: "Deadlines," the draft clock always runs, but with a good number of teams (which it looks like we are going to get), you can roughly predict when your turn will come and send the pick you want to a GM who picks after you. Or if you miss your pick, it isn't a big deal; just pick when you sign back on. (Obviously missing too many picks hurts your chance of "winning," but its not really that big a deal)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This tells me we need better selling, assassination and series discussion.
I like the idea of a more running assassination thread where we criticize picks/stuff like that. I don't know - I would just prefer more running commentary instead of a handful of pms saying "what that dude picked X that's such a reach this early!" or whatever.

Basically - be meaner throughout.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I like the idea of a more running assassination thread where we criticize picks/stuff like that. I don't know - I would just prefer more running commentary instead of a handful of pms saying "what that dude picked X that's such a reach this early!" or whatever.

We used to do this in the draft thread. And a lot of GMs used to view such criticism as an opportunity to sell their picks and strategies.

Best way to make this happen again is to just do it!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I like the idea of a more running assassination thread where we criticize picks/stuff like that.
Great idea.

Of course, positive criticism should also be included. Thinking critically about a pick can bring about greater appreciation.

The more we talk about a player's accomplishments and skillset, the more we talk about the history of the game. And that's my jam.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The rules for the last draft are at the beginning of the post for the draft thread: ATD2019 Draft Thread II

Would love to have you.

Re: "Deadlines," the draft clock always runs, but with a good number of teams (which it looks like we are going to get), you can roughly predict when your turn will come and send the pick you want to a GM who picks after you. Or if you miss your pick, it isn't a big deal; just pick when you sign back on. (Obviously missing too many picks hurts your chance of "winning," but its not really that big a deal)
Sounds like fun. I did something like this about 15 years ago on the old Sportsnet forums and had a blast (my main achievement was ending up with both Orr and Gretzky thanks to a trade). However, I can't commit to this because I am limited to when I can take part. If it was Monday to Friday with no evenings or weekends, I could make it work. Anyways, have fun!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
We need you in !
Yes of course I'm in. Twice if we're doing that.

Great idea.

Of course, positive criticism should also be included. Thinking critically about a pick can bring about greater appreciation.

The more we talk about a player's accomplishments and skillset, the more we talk about the history of the game. And that's my jam.
Yeah exactly. Personally I've never been all that mean, but I like to ask a lot of questions when I'm more engaged (which comes and goes, nobody is on all the time, but if at least some of us to be a little more on, and not be total arseholes about it, that's a big change).

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Special thanks to @BenchBrawl his enthusiasm is really getting this on it's feet.

The OP will be updated this evening with everyone's teams to be listed so we have a better idea on numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad