33th overall: @ResilientBeast, Victoria Cougars
34th overall: @MadArcand, Carolina Hurricanes
35th overall: @Habsfan18 & @VanIslander, Baltimore Skipjacks
36th overall: @ImporterExporter, Saskatoon Snipers
37th overall: @Hawkey Town 18, Chicago Cougars
38th overall: @TheDevilMadeMe, New Jersey Devils
39th overall: @The Macho Man , Richmond Robins
40th overall: @tabness, Oakland Skates

Figured we have a month and halfish until we usually start up the draft so may as well get this thread off and rolling.

If you have any suggestions for ways to tweak the main draft we can discuss them in here.

People who will participate will be added to this list
  1. ResilientBeast - Portland Rosebuds
  2. ResilientBeast - Victoria Cougars
  3. BenchBrawl - Montreal Canadiens
  4. BenchBrawl - Ottawa Senators
  5. Namba 17 - The Canadian Soo Marlboros
  6. Habsfan18 + VanIslander - Salt Lake Golden Eagles
  7. Habsfan18 + VanIslander - Baltimore Skipjacks
  8. The Macho Man - Richmond Renegades
  9. The Macho Man - Richmond Robins
  10. tinyzombies - NDG Monarchs
  11. tinyzombies - Valleyfield Braves
  12. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maples Leafs
  13. Voight - Corpus Christi Ice Rays
  14. kruezer - Seattle Metropolitans
  15. kruezer - North Bay Centennials
  16. TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils
  17. TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Devils
  18. Johnny Engine - St. John's IceCaps
  19. Johnny Engine - Conception Bay Cee Bees
  20. GlitchMarner - Brampton Beavers
  21. Sprague Cleghorn - Club de Hockey de Quebec
  22. Sprague Cleghorn - Bolshoy Ballet
  23. Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks
  24. Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Cougars
  25. papershoes - Kenora Thistles
  26. papershoes - Renfrew Creamery Kings
  27. Selfish Man - Portland Penguins
  28. tony d - St John's Maple Leafs
  29. tony d - Marystown Mariners
  30. tabness - Calgary Radz
  31. tabness - Oakland Skates
  32. Pominville Knows - MountainLake StreetCats
  33. Dreakmur - Orillia Terriers
  34. Claude The Fraud - Halifax Mooseheads
  35. nabby12 - Winnipeg Victorias
  36. MadArcand - Hartford Whalers
  37. MadArcand - Carolina Hurricans
  38. Importer Exporter - Pittsburgh AC
  39. Importer Exporter - Saskatoon Snipers
  40. rmartin65 - New York Americans

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm in as the Montreal Canadiens.

I suggest we re-introduce limited trading, like say 2 trades per teams or something, just to add some flexibility.

I'll participate either way though.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I have 2 ATD’s and an MLD under my belt now (after following along as a spectator for many years), and I feel like we need to make some changes here. The ATD in its current format feels pretty stale, IMO. We go through the draft which seems to be the only part people truly care about, then we have a small group of posters actually voting and participating in the playoffs. A good chunk disappear after the actual draft process. Maybe we need to make some fresh changes to prevent that? I’ll even admit myself that the drafting and team building portion is the funnest part. But it also takes away the main purpose of it all if that’s the only part most are interested in.

As for the 2020 ATD, I’m on the fence about my own participation. My wife and I have a 1 year old, along with a full time job, so my spare time is pretty limited throughout the week and during the day on weekends. I have some time to think about it, but I’d possibly welcome Co-GMing a team if anyone else was interested in doing that. Not entirely sure about that yet but it’s something I’m considering if I do end up deciding to participate.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I have 2 ATD’s and an MLD under my belt now (after following along as a spectator for many years), and I feel like we need to make some changes here. The ATD in its current format feels pretty stale, IMO. We go through the draft which seems to be the only part people truly care about, then we have a small group of posters actually voting and participating in the playoffs. A good chunk disappear after the actual draft process. Maybe we need to make some fresh changes to prevent that? I’ll even admit myself that the drafting and team building portion is the funnest part. But it also takes away the main purpose of it all if that’s the only part most are interested in.

As for the 2020 ATD, I’m on the fence about my own participation. My wife and I have a 1 year old, along with a full time job, so my spare time is pretty limited throughout the week and during the day on weekends. I have some time to think about it, but I’d possibly welcome Co-GMing a team if anyone else was interested in doing that. Not entirely sure about that yet but it’s something I’m considering if I do end up deciding to participate.

I did like I think VanI's idea, that we vote for what we think are the X best teams ranked ballot style. And then the winner of that is the champion and we can maintain a playoff but more like the challenge cup. Any team ranked within the top half can mount a challenge.

Or if we want to keep the traditional structure. Heavily reduce the amount of playoff teams (2 per division) because the 1-8 matchups never have upsets. This would trim the amount of voting down a a lot mean a month post draft we're done.

TBH the team building and the research portion are by far my favorite parts of the draft. The debates feel stale most of the time.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm in as the Montreal Canadiens.

I suggest we re-introduce limited trading, like say 2 trades per teams or something, just to add some flexibility.

I'll participate either way though.

Depending on participation numbers this could be a year for two teams as we've suggested before. Try and break passed the 24-28 teamers we've had recently

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The Challenge Cup is a pretty good idea. Not sure what others will think but crowning an ATD champion right after the initial set of voting would solve a lot of the problems with disappearing posters in the playoffs.

Then, teams ranked in the top 10 could decide to challenge the champions in the months following the draft. That’s where hopefully the debates would come in.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The Challenge Cup is a pretty good idea. Not sure what others will think but crowning an ATD champion right after the initial set of voting would solve a lot of the problems with disappearing posters in the playoffs.

Then, teams ranked in the top 10 could decide to challenge the champions in the months following the draft. That’s where hopefully the debates would come in.

The only problem would be finding a way to get voting participation.

We could perhaps turn to members of the HOH board and have them vote on the series?

Reactions: Voight

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The only problem would be finding a way to get voting participation.

We could perhaps turn to members of the HOH board and have them vote on the series?

I’ve wondered if that was a better idea than the current format anyways. 20-25 posters participating and then 10-12 of those actually voting just does not do the ATD justice.

We could create polls in the HoH section and then see what that brings. There are a lot of knowledgable folk there that don’t participate in ATD’s. And they would be impartial.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Depending on participation numbers this could be a year for two teams as we've suggested before. Try and break passed the 24-28 teamers we've had recently

Yeah, fine by me to have 2 teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I’ve wondered if that was a better idea than the current format anyways. 20-25 posters participating and then 10-12 of those actually voting just does not do the ATD justice.

We could create polls in the HoH section and then see what that brings. There are a lot of knowledgable folk there that don’t participate in ATD’s. And they would be impartial.

Yeah we've toyed with like getting to pick draft positions and stuff like that but it's been hard to convince folks to vote for whatever reason.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If we have two teams, we could potentially split the drafts. So yeah, each player could be picked by two teams in separate drafts, which would ultimately face in the final.

Depends how many teams we have.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The ATD has just gotten very stale, IMO. So I’m good with making any number of big or small changes to make it feel fresh again.

The exact same players will be drafted in nearly the exact same spots (give or take 2-3 positions in round 1 or 2, and within 10 spots in later rounds) so it becomes very predictable. The usual busy activity will take place during the draft and then the usual disappearing acts will take place after the draft.

So I really truly think changes would be a welcome addition to make it feel fresh again. Nothing too radical of course, but do we really want the same predictable draft to take place every year with the same exact rules? This probably wasn’t as noticeable near the beginning, but with like what..15-20 ATD’s or more now, shouldn’t we make changes to prevent it from becoming even more stale? That’s probably why interest is FAR from what it used to be. It’s the same damn thing every year.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The ATD has just gotten very stale, IMO. So I’m good with making any number of big or small changes to make it feel fresh again.

The exact same players will be drafted in nearly the exact same spots (give or take 2-3 positions in round 1 or 2, and within 10 spots in later rounds) so it becomes very predictable. The usual busy activity will take place during the draft and then the usual disappearing acts will take place after the draft.

So I really truly think changes would be a welcome addition to make it feel fresh again. Nothing too radical of course, but do we really want the same predictable draft to take place every year with the same exact rules? This probably wasn’t as noticeable near the beginning, but with like what..15-20 ATD’s or more now, shouldn’t we make changes to prevent it from becoming even more stale? That’s probably why interest is FAR from what it used to be. It’s the same damn thing every year.

You never tried an ATD with trading though (IIRC).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
You never tried an ATD with trading though (IIRC).

You’re correct. Maybe I’d feel differently. I would just personally be hesitant to see the ATD turning into a typical HF Boards GM game. I would have zero interest in that. But I suppose that’s why there would be trade limits put into place.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You’re correct. Maybe I’d feel differently. I would just personally be hesitant to see the ATD turning into a typical HF Boards GM game. I would have zero interest in that. But I suppose that’s why there would be trade limits put into place.

We had many trading drafts in the past, it gives you greater flexibility. There were no limit trading drafts too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
A big part of the staleness is the lack of much new research getting done. We all pretty much know the players, so there are so few surprises now.

Still a lot to dig.

If anything make it more throughout.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Habsfan18 and VanIslander have joined forces to manage the Salt Lake Golden Eagles!
8529178941_665bd61a23_b.jpg

The minor pro franchise won back-to-back championships with future Calgary Flames 50-goal scorer Joey Mullen, ... had Theo Fleury, Mike Vernon, Ziggy Palffy, Charlie Simmer, Dirk Graham, coaches Jack "Tex" Evans, Al Rollins, J.P. Parise and the Plager brothers.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Richmond Renegades are in.

Edit: Only one team - don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to try and figure out two.

Last edited:
Reactions: ResilientBeast

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As far as structure - I could see how ATD gets... rote? without something more. The format doesn't seem to really reward creative team-building, and there's a certain meta that has probably emerged over so many ATDs with the player's relative strengths and weaknesses and appropriate rank.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm in for the new draft.

What I'd like to see is how you guys would evaluate Scotty Bowman's 8 best teams of all time tourney in Dryden's new book. Take the 8 teams and have them face each other (someone look how Scotty started the comparisons and go from there - then compare to Scotty's conclusions)? I guess you could cheat, but that would ruin your own fun.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As far as structure - I could see how ATD gets... rote? without something more. The format doesn't seem to really reward creative team-building, and there's a certain meta that has probably emerged over so many ATDs with the player's relative strengths and weaknesses and appropriate rank.

I would challenge that, there is room for creativity Rob Scuderi's team from a couple of years ago would support that.

But I'd agree, unless you flawlessly execute the team it's hard to gain ground

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I would like to play if you guys will have me.

I will just say upfront that although I always wanted to draft a team like this, I'm not really interested in the argument side of things as I don't think I share the general view of things here or on the history board (I'm gotten less and less convinced in the commensurability across different contexts even within the same era much less different eras and I just don't think rankings of players/teams/whatever work that well), and, perhaps more importantly, I just don't like the culture of argument/debate in general.

I'm OK with participating in post draft rankings and happy to provide a summary of my team and all, but I don't think I'll be one to engage in long arguments about things.

If all of that is cool with you sign me up with the Calgary Radz lol

thumbnail.php

Oh and I'd favor a straight up draft with trades if that matters

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->