ATD 2017 Sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
For the record, I had 2 (one created to help get to the overly ambitious goal of 50 teams (one of the two teams I did little with, as I volunteered to co-GM with a newbie who ended up doing most of the picks, just needed advice from time to time). For a year-plus afterwards though I gave into temptation and used the two accounts to draft two teams in drafts, though only voted once in rankings and playoff series).

I did change the VI name for a time, so that may be why it seemed like 3.

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten TheSabre, a drunken addition to some depth drafts, probably with the same email address. My memory is fuzzy on that account.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For the record, I had 2 (one created to help get to the overly ambitious goal of 50 teams (one of the two teams I did little with, as I volunteered to co-GM with a newbie who ended up doing most of the picks, just needed advice from time to time). For a year-plus afterwards though I gave into temptation and used the two accounts to draft two teams in drafts, though only voted once in rankings and playoff series).

I did change the VI name for a time, so that may be why it seemed like 3.

Wait... Did you seriously just try to tell us you weren't vanislander, TheSabre and Zamboni Mania simultaneously?

This is in the public record and besides, it wasn't really that long ago.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
To clarify, I wasn't aware ImporterExporter was banned from hfboards prior to his new account creation, hence the VI comparison.I see now he only wanted to participate but he couldn't do it because his main account got banned.

He was a productive member of the community, losing him is disappointing.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To clarify, I wasn't aware ImporterExporter was banned from hfboards prior to his new account creation, hence the VI comparison.I see now he only wanted to participate but he couldn't do it because his main account got banned.

He was a productive member of the community, losing him is disappointing.

87 was banned from HF??

I had no idea, thought he was just trying to secretly GM two teams this year.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why would anyone admit that they got banned before? Wouldn't that jeopardize their new account? I mean, otherwise banning people would serve no purpose. For all we know, this might be my third account and my infraction history might also support that idea.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, since I am the one who came up with the idea: the round robin concept doesn't happen to be among the ideas subject to a voting right now. Has there been a decision against it or was it simply forgotten or is this decision supposed to be made in a later stage?

EDIT: Local mods, feel free to move this post if you don't want it in this particular thread.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Out of curiosity, since I am the one who came up with the idea: the round robin concept doesn't happen to be among the ideas subject to a voting right now. Has there been a decision against it or was it simply forgotten or is this decision supposed to be made in a later stage?

EDIT: Local mods, feel free to move this post if you don't want it in this particular thread.

Ironing that system out would be complicated and require even more voting which is usually where things slow down. And honestly since teams are voted on in the playoffs it would be akin to voting the same thing twice IMHO

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Ironing that system out would be complicated and require even more voting which is usually where things slow down.

Okay, that's certainly something you guys with ATD experience have the expertise to make the call on. I just want to point out that three of the four scenarios I've outlined earlier this month require 7 rounds of voting, the same amount as in the ATD 2016. The only difference is that in the 2016 ATD all the participants were guaranteed to be involved in at least 2 rounds of voting (after the second vote the first participants were eliminated). The round robin system on the other hand guarantees all the participants to remain involved for at least 3 rounds of voting (or even 5 rounds, depending on your preference).

And honestly since teams are voted on in the playoffs it would be akin to voting the same thing twice IMHO

In the round robin system, teams would still be split up into divisions. You can easily keep the teams from the same division apart from each other in every round of the play-offs, except for the finals. For example:

Regular season
Divisions | Teams
Rene Lecavalier:|4 (2 advance)
Howie Meeker:|4 (2 advance)
Bob Cole:|4 (2 advance)
Foster Hewitt:|4 (2 advance)
Danny Gallivan:|4 (2 advance)
Fred Cusick:|4 (2 advance)
Jim Robson:|4 (2 advance)
Brian McFarlane:|4 (2 advance)

Play-offs
Round | Provision | Mere repetition?
Round of 16:|Division winners vs #2 teams from other divisions|not possible
Quarter-finals:|Extra-divisional draw*|not possible
Semi-finals:|Extra-divisional draw**|not possible
Finals:|none|possible, but rather unlikely
*Even if 2 teams from the same division advance to the QF, there are still 6 teams from other divisions.
**Even if 2 teams fromt he same division advance to the SF, there are still 2 teams from other divisions.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The only problem with this system, is, that typically all teams make the playoffs anyway. That's why the voting takes as long.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The only problem with this system, is, that typically all teams make the playoffs anyway. That's why the voting takes as long.

In the round-robin system not all teams would make the playoffs, but nevertheless every participant would get to be involved in (at least) 3 "series" (if every division consists of 4 teams).

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pretty good voter turnout for all of the polls, we only have 14 people signed up for the ATD right now and we have more than 14 votes in each poll.

As we've gotten a good turnout and none of the polls are close, I say we end them on 22nd, which is one week from when they started.

RB can you do a short reply all to the initial messages you sent out just to give everybody one last reminder?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Pretty good voter turnout for all of the polls, we only have 14 people signed up for the ATD right now and we have more than 14 votes in each poll.

As we've gotten a good turnout and none of the polls are close, I say we end them on 22nd, which is one week from when they started.

RB can you do a short reply all to the initial messages you sent out just to give everybody one last reminder?

Fine by me

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Doesn't matter that much but is there any people against allowing dropped players to be selected in the MLD?

Even if I was affected myself last year I was still glad that we stayed with the rules rather than going with some on the fly stuff.

It's a shame some players get left out so I would vote FOR allowing dropped players to be drafted again. I don't think those 0-6 dropped players would spoil the fun.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Doesn't matter that much but is there any people against allowing dropped players to be selected in the MLD?

Even if I was affected myself last year I was still glad that we stayed with the rules rather than going with some on the fly stuff.

It's a shame some players get left out so I would vote FOR allowing dropped players to be drafted again. I don't think those 0-6 dropped players would spoil the fun.

I like it the way it is. Once a player is mentioned in a drafting cycle, that's their draft position for the year.

I bet I can even get VI to agree with me on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad