ATD 2017 Sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Also, I paid for a sponsorship because I really want to be here for the long term and use the forums quite a bit. Plus it said it would remove all adds, which this site seemingly had a million of haha.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Also, I paid for a sponsorship because I really want to be here for the long term and use the forums quite a bit. Plus it said it would remove all adds, which this site seemingly had a million of haha.

We'll see how many regulars want to join, then we'll make sure to find a spot for you.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Completely understand the hesitation.

I just want to let you know I've been watching the ATD's closely for a number of years now. While I'm certain there are subtleties that I will need to pick up along the way, I truly believe I can be a positive member and having access at work and home will be huge in terms of being around a lot, and certainly won't hesitate to ask for help or insight. I'm sure I'll need it from time to time haha.

I dont think anybody is accusing you of potentially being a bad or inattentive member of the draft; its just that having a hard rule helps limit the possibility of someone joining, not understanding the time commitment, then quitting or doing a half-hearted attempt (again, not saying that you fall into this category). Nobody sets out to be that guy, but it happens. Making new-comers GM a lower draft or co-GM their first year helps mitigate the risk for the whole community.

I joined in 2015 as a co-GM, having followed the 2014 draft intently. And, despite how prepared I felt, I found that I would have been in a world of hurt without my experienced co-GM to show me the ropes. Last year was my first time as a solo GM, and I feel that I was able to put forth a competitive team because I had that year with Stoneberg. And I asked questions from some of the other experienced GMs.

In any case, like someone mentioned above, you may get your own team anyway if it makes the divisions a bit more even number-wise.

Glad to have a new member aboard!

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
To be clear you who have already posted do not plan to withdraw after we conduct the votes on changes.

I think what we are voting on needs to be more clearly defined before I can make that decision (i.e. what are the specific options and if something new is chosen how will it be implemented). I know the general topics were outlined in a post in the discussion thread, but I'm looking for more.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think what we are voting on needs to be more clearly defined before I can make that decision (i.e. what are the specific options and if something new is chosen how will it be implemented). I know the general topics were outlined in a post in the discussion thread, but I'm looking for more.

Yeah I have no idea what the votes are for lol

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=124986369&postcount=102

This is where we're currently at with this and more input is always nice

Without anymore ideas, the vote would be change to this system...or maintain the status quo

That is the post I was referring to...

HO gives a couple different options on how his idea might be implemented.

I am also unclear on theokritos' idea. I get that there's a round robin, but what happens after that? Does the round robin determine the regular season standings and then we move on with the playoffs as usual?

Either way, at this point I am not willing to say I will 100% participate regardless of which options are chosen. HO's idea in particular, I am strongly opposed to. It takes a lot of hard work and some luck to put together a real top contending team, if I happen to do it, I don't want to lose because of random chance. If I lose I want it to be because someone put together a better team than I did and also put in the time to demonstrate to the voters why that team was better...who knows when the next draft will be when "it all comes together" for me and I have another top contending team.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I want to participate but have been very busy the past few months. I have some strong feelings on certain poll options which will influence my interest, but I may not be able to participate regardless. I'm also more boring so I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade as they try to spice things up.

One item for example though...
HO's idea in particular, I am strongly opposed to. It takes a lot of hard work and some luck to put together a real top contending team, if I happen to do it, I don't want to lose because of random chance. If I lose I want it to be because someone put together a better team than I did and also put in the time to demonstrate to the voters why that team was better...who knows when the next draft will be when "it all comes together" for me and I have another top contending team.
This captures my thoughts exactly :) (sorry HO!)

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Hi fellas,

Been a long time lurker and a big fan of the ATD, and recently took a new job where I can access the forums a decent amount during work hours, plus at home so I'm going to consistently be on the forums moving forward.

It looks like the draft has gotten smaller over the last number of years and I was hoping a newbie like myself could throw his hat into the ring and participate to help bolster the participation.

I've wanted to do this years ago, but I've never really had a job (at a computer most of the day now) where I could spend some time dedicated to other stuff, you know, like fantasy hockey drafts and such, haha.

Anyway, I've been studying up and was hoping to be a GM this year, if the group will allow it?

Thanks guys.

To echo everyone else's thoughts, welcome! Always nice to have some new people interested in joining.

Whether you're a co-GM, or otherwise, I'm sure you will enjoy the process.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I want to participate but have been very busy the past few months. I have some strong feelings on certain poll options which will influence my interest, but I may not be able to participate regardless. I'm also more boring so I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade as they try to spice things up.

One item for example though...

This captures my thoughts exactly :) (sorry HO!)

If we continue with the status quo with respect to the playoffs, we may as well not have them, or simply shorten them to include only the top team from each division. History has shown us thus far that a #1 seed is just about guaranteed to win the whole thing. There doesn't seem to be any point in extending them longer than necessary with this in mind.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I am also unclear on theokritos' idea. I get that there's a round robin, but what happens after that? Does the round robin determine the regular season standings and then we move on with the playoffs as usual?

Depends on how much round-robin the ATD participants want. Two examples, assuming there are 32 teams involved:

Example A: 4 divisions, each with 8 teams.
Every team gets a comparison with each of its 7 divisional opponents. That means it takes 7 rounds of voting to determine the divisional rankings. The 4 division winners advance to the playoffs. Overall: 9 rounds of voting (7 round-robin, 2 play-off).

Example B: 8 divisions, each with 4 teams.
Every team gets a comparison with each of its 3 divisional opponents. That means it takes 3 rounds of voting to determine the divisional rankings. The 16 top teams (#1 and #2 of each group) advance to the playoffs. In the first playoff round every group winner meets a team that finished #2 in another group. Overall: 7 rounds of voting (3 round-robin, 4 play-off).

Two other examples, assuming there are just 24 teams involved (instead of 32):

Example C: 4 divisions, each with 6 teams.
Like A, but with 5 opponents per division and 5 rounds of voting to determine the divisional rankings. The 4 division winners advance to the playoffs. Overall: 7 rounds of voting (5 round-robin, 2 play-offs).

Example D: 6 divisions, each with 4 teams.
Like B, but with 6 divisions instead of 8. If you still want 16 teams to advance to the playoffs, you pick the 12 top teams (#1 and #2 of each group) and add 4 #3 teams (the 2 you leave out will have to be those with the weakest divisional record). The 6 group winners and the 2 #2 teams with the best divisional record are seeded in round 1 of the playoffs. Overall: 7 rounds of voting (3 round-robin, 4 play-offs).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Example B: 8 divisions, each with 4 teams.
This gives more teams a chance to argue their case in the playoffs, as the #2 ranked team in one division and the 1st ranked team in another division would not automatically be ranked together. It gives 8 top seeds, so even if the #1 seeds get out of the divisions, they are on equal ground, needing to argue their case after the first two rounds in their own division.

5th to 8th seeds never have a chance of even getting into a conference finals series (unlike the NHL where it happens frequently). So, don't have 5th to 8th seeds. More divisions with less teams in each makes it easier to rank teams int he regular season and makes for more dynamic playoff rounds!!!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Obviously I'm a newbie here, but having watched some of the ATD's in the past and reading up on the suggestions, it does seem like the pre-rankings sort of determine the teams that go deep in the playoffs, year to year. So in reality what is the difference between a 4 seed (8 divisions) and an 8 seed (4 divisions)? It seems like sort of a shell game where you are just moving pieces around at the start but not really changing how the process unfolds.

Just thinking out loud.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Whatever happened to just not making the seeds publicly known (i.e. the person who tallies the votes just shows what the playoff matchups will be)? I think this should be it's own topic. I would definitely be in favor of this regardless of whether we determine the seeds/regular season rankings the conventional way or we do some form of round robin.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Whatever happened to just not making the seeds publicly known (i.e. the person who tallies the votes just shows what the playoff matchups will be)?

It's one of the points brought up in the post that RB has linked above.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So ArmyOfDarkness is ImporterExporter a.k.a 87and71? What the hell, this is 2011 VanI all over again :biglaugh:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I must not have been following closely enough.. what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad