ATD 2011- Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Trade Announcement:

To Kimberley Dynamiters: 10th overall(1st), 170th overall(5th) and 471st overall(12th)
To Minnesota Fighting Saints: 64th overall(2nd), 97th overall(3rd) and 384th overall(10th)

Waiting for confirmation.

Nalyd, you hate first round picks as much as Brian Burke hates second rounders!

Derick*

I think his idea is that they would be doing it by mistake, not because they think they know better than us or something :laugh:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Trade Announcement:

To Kimberley Dynamiters: 10th overall(1st), 170th overall(5th) and 471st overall(12th)
To Minnesota Fighting Saints: 64th overall(2nd), 97th overall(3rd) and 384th overall(10th)

Waiting for confirmation.

Confirmed.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What's that old saying? The road to hell os paved with good intentions.

If the result is slowing down the draft, then their intentions are meaningless. After all, Hitler did aspire to make the world a better place...

Once you are on the clock, that pick is yours.

so the punishment should be harsher than missing the pick outright?

wouldn't that encourage a team that wants to trade an OTC pick to run down the clock, then trade right after that?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I haven't done one of these baby's in a few years what is the mindset on active greats being taken early (I think you know who I'm talking about)...bad move? Frowned upon?

Pretend their career ended today (career ending injury, died in a plane crash, etc) and compare their careers to this date to the retired players.

Sorry to not be more specific but placing active players really is one of the hardest things in this.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
As per the roster thread, jrkx's team name is the Winnipeg Falcons, just a heads up to Bugg and/or seventies so you change that in the draft thread.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Okay, there is actually a chance someone might want this guy towards the end of the 1000 picks. Please edit the post and refrain from mentioning undrafted players with any form of talent in the official ATD threads from now on (the Aki Bergs and Wade Belaks of the world are okay).

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
xxxx xxxxxx? :sarcasm:

You know that with 1000 picks, he might just well get selected. And the unwritten rule is: no talk about unselected player. (Actually, the rule is: NO TALK ABOUT UNSELECTED PLAYER!!!!!)

As per the roster thread, jrkx's team name is the Winnipeg Falcons, just a heads up to Bugg and/or seventies so you change that in the draft thread.

Damn, I don't have the 'dibs' on the city of Detroit, and now I don't even have the 'dibs' on my team name!

(I'm just kidding Velo, I don't mind :P)

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Guys, just a little busy right now, but I will be back to update the draft list with trades and team names, send out the next wave of PMs to advise guys to make a roster post, and reply to unanswered PMs.

Derick*

Oh right. Sorry about that.

Like I did 3-4 drafts ago: if you're unsure at who you want at pick #4, maybe you're better off trading it.

EDIT: I'm off for the day, probably be back in 10-12 hours.

Who would ever be unsure of who to pick at #4?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You should pick the best player regardless of when he played... I can point to examples of over- and under-valuing both old and modern players. I think that if, after making 25 picks, you have a team that is greatly dependent on one era or another, then you were undervaluing one era or more.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Modern players better get more respect in this draft since it's a 40 team. Seems like it's a law you have to have a squad of vintage players to win in the playoffs.

There are no laws with regards to era. In terms of guidelines, I think you're better off drafting players from a variety of eras, so your team is better to adapt to any given situation. But that's a personal thing.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Anyway, I think the point Dreak is making is that even if it isn't technically in the rules, there is a level of courtesy towards fellow GMs that is appreciated.

Just like technically, you don't ever have to leave a list if your pick is up very soon and you'll be away. But you really should leave a list if at all possible. You can technically sit here for every hour of your clock (once the clock starts) going "nah nah nah, my time, I'll pick exactly 1 minute before my time is up." But you probably shouldn't do that.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with spending a couple of days trying to trade your pick before the clock officially starts, but it would be nice to get this started sooner rather than later - if for no other reason, then we can all start arguing about the merits of each selection, which is what we are all here to do, not snipe about minor rules.

Derick*

Anyway, I think the point Dreak is making is that even if it isn't technically in the rules, there is a level of courtesy towards fellow GMs that is appreciated.

Just like technically, you don't ever have to leave a list if your pick is up very soon and you'll be away. But you really should leave a list if at all possible. You can technically sit here for every hour of your clock (once the clock starts) going "nah nah nah, my time, I'll pick exactly 1 minute before my time is up." But you probably shouldn't do that.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with spending a couple of days trying to trade your pick before the clock officially starts, but it would be nice to get this started sooner rather than later - if for no other reason, then we can all start arguing about the merits of each selection, which is what we are all here to do, not snipe about minor rules.

I agree that waiting until the last second for the sake of it is rude and playing by technicalities, but that's not what JOOTGs and I are doing. It must be possible to legitimately use all of that time, or else why give someone that much time? Meanwhile I've only used a fifth of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad