ATD 2011- Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's actually Post #121, page 7, this thread, top!

... Yep, my apologies

On my computer it's page 5 , we just started page 7 with those 2 posts , I guess the ''post by page'' limit is not the same :laugh:

And the ''bottom'' stood for bottom of your post lol

I should sleep more.I won't...will regret it later on in my life...oh well ;)

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I'll be someone a taco I know who Bugg is planning on taking with his 3 picks!

Anyone I want ;)

While I will say there is a definite plan for those draft choices, I'm happy just to have pulled off the trades required. I could conceivably begin a team with a top-three goaltender, a top-five defenceman and a top-ten forward.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Yes.

I'd pick right now, because I think it's pretty obvious who is at the top of our list...Aki Berg...but I want to just make sure ZM doesn't have something else going on :D

The shortlist he sent me was Wade Belak, Jeff Finger and Chad Kilger, so I think you'll have to talk to him ;):laugh:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Alright, so ZM and I have decided to hang onto the 5th overall pick, thank the GOds for having this guy fall to us at #5 and make the most of this once in a lifetime opportunity.

The Guelph Storm are proud to select...

mario-lemieux-picture-4.jpg

"Super" Mario Lemieux

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Now I can finally say it:

With all due respect to EB, I had a bigger "wtf?" moment when he picked Doug Harvey #4 than I did when markrander picked Mario Lemieux #3 in the last draft.

(Of course, I was biased last draft, as I was the one getting Gordie Howe at 4, so maybe that's it).

Edit: Basically I'm a lot less scared with Harvey in my division than I would have been with Mario in the division (and Mario is who I thought EB was aiming for). We'll see how things play out.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Now I can finally say it:

With all due respect to EB, I had a bigger "wtf?" moment when he picked Doug Harvey #4 than I did when markrander picked Mario Lemieux #3 in the last draft.

(Of course, I was biased last draft, as I was the one getting Gordie Howe at 4, so maybe that's it).

I almost picked Lemieux at 3 , I actually wrote the post with his picture but clicked on the ''X'' in the corner of the page before posting and re-considered :laugh:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I almost picked Lemieux at 3 , I actually wrote the post with his picture but clicked on the ''X'' in the corner of the page before posting and re-considered :laugh:

IMO, you picked correctly. Gretzky is just a small step up from Lemieux no matter how I look at it. Lemieux was the better one-on-one player without a doubt, but in the ATD, these guys are likely to get lots of help.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
On a hockey history-related note, I just got the news I've been a waiting for: an article I wrote about a certain A-level draft pick that was banned from the game for gambling will be appearing in the The Hockey News. The issue featuring that piece will be on sale mid-February.

Derick*

I thought it was going to be Gretzky, then Lemieux, then Howe for sure.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I thought it was going to be Gretzky, then Lemieux, then Howe for sure.

The general consensus here is that Lemieux is #4 and Gretzky/Orr/Howe are 1-3 in any order. I drafted Gordie Howe last time, and if you look at the profile I made of him (mainly quotes from studies of other posters), you can see that his offensive dominance over peers is statistically equal Lemieux's dominance over non-Gretzky peers. And of course, Howe kills Lemieux in intangibles and longevity.

Lemieux finished 4th in both HOH Top 100 lists and was voted 4th by the majority of participants. THN never released their voting for their 1998 Top 100 list, but they did say that 1-3 were very close and #4 was practically a consensus for Lemieux.

This isn't the majority opinion, but I do think Lemieux was better offensively than Howe because I think he faced a deeper talent pool, at least in terms of offensive talent, and because Howe "fell back to the pack" as he got older and/or the talent pool recovered from the effects of World War 2. But even so, everything else Howe brings more than makes up for the small advantage Lemieux has in peak offense, in my opinion.

Derick*

The general consensus here is that Lemieux is #4 and Gretzky/Orr/Howe are 1-3 in any order. I drafted Gordie Howe last time, and if you look at the profile I made of him (mainly quotes from studies of other posters), you can see that his offensive dominance over peers is statistically equal Lemieux's dominance over non-Gretzky peers. And of course, Howe kills Lemieux in intangibles and longevity.

Lemieux finished 4th in both HOH Top 100 lists and was voted 4th by the majority of participants. THN never released their voting for their 1998 Top 100 list, but they did say that 1-3 were very close and #4 was practically a consensus for Lemieux.

This isn't the majority opinion, but I do think Lemieux was better offensively than Howe because I think he faced a deeper talent pool, at least in terms of offensive talent, and because Howe "fell back to the pack" as he got older and/or the talent pool recovered from the effects of World War 2. But even so, everything else Howe brings more than makes up for the small advantage Lemieux has in peak offense, in my opinion.

Well I thought because peak is more important in ATD than in all-time rankings that would mean he'd usually go ahead of him.

Is his advantage in peak offense actually small?

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
imo, lemieux was a better offensive player than howe. no one was able to outscore lemieux at his peak, other than possibly gretzky. but some players did outscore howe.

but howe was probably better at everything else, and was injured far less often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad