ATD 2011- Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
IMO there are 3 left on the board who are compable to Harvey.

Those 3 are comparable to him in some ways, and are probably better than him in some areas. The problem is that they all have weaknesses..... and Harvey doesn't.

Harvey is likely the best defensive defenseman of all time. If he's not the best, he's certainly one of the top few. In addition, he's also one of the best offensive defensemen - not top 5, but likely top 10. He's also one of the best play-off performers ever. Add into the mix that he's also a very tough and aggressive phyical player, a great leader, and has a great peak along with excellent longevity.

Basically, Harvey has no holes in his game. He can be one of the best shut-down defensemen in the draft and also be one of the best on the powerplay. He can be the stay-at-home for an offensive guy or he can be the puck-mover for a defenseive guy.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
The thing is, the same could be said for the other two, and they arguably have better career value. But. Yeah, it's a debate for a latter date.

Would you care to explain what you're thinking when talking about 'career value', because in my mind, career wise, Harvey could very well be #1. we probably don't have the same definition of 'career value' though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In my current opinion (which is quite different from just a year ago), Harvey is the clearcut #2 defenseman all-time, but #3-5 are extremely close behind.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have a question , when discussing the all-time draft match-ups , are we talking about players in their prime or career value?

Derick*

Does anyone have an easy way that I can switch all 25 of one team's picks with another team on the draft list?

for example, I can paste it all into Word, and then do a find/replace on "jareklajkosz - North Pole Penguinators" and replace it with "TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Devils" so that's half the work done. Except I can't do that the other way around now, since it would just change all 50 entries back.

Just wondering if there's an easy shortcut here, to avoid doing it all manually.

How did you end up doing it? Manually?

I was going to recommend doing the method that would leave you replacing all of one team with the other, then use the teams above/below to distinguish the ones to be replaced and the ones to stay in the next find/replace (by including them in what's to be replaced), but the round-number beside each team name would prevent that from working.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Does anyone have an easy way that I can switch all 25 of one team's picks with another team on the draft list?

for example, I can paste it all into Word, and then do a find/replace on "jareklajkosz - North Pole Penguinators" and replace it with "TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Devils" so that's half the work done. Except I can't do that the other way around now, since it would just change all 50 entries back.

Just wondering if there's an easy shortcut here, to avoid doing it all manually.

Copy into word, change, copy back.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The other guy had the puck so often that whether or not he was good defensively really didn't matter. The same can be said of Orr, sure, but the other guy definitely had that dominance for much longer.

Curious, how much stock do you put into longevity? You seem to be one of those guys that doesn't put any at all.

it DOES matter. And that guy (Gretzky) got scored on A TON.

Personally, I'd take Howe 1st...

same.

How did you end up doing it? Manually?

I was going to recommend doing the method that would leave you replacing all of one team with the other, then use the teams above/below to distinguish the ones to be replaced and the ones to stay in the next find/replace (by including them in what's to be replaced), but the round-number beside each team name would prevent that from working.

that would work. my solution was even easier. I replaced all of team A with "placeholder", then team B with team A, then "placeholder" with team B. badabing, badaboom.

Copy into word, change, copy back.

that's the basic premise, the issue was replacing A with B, but then I have 50 Bs and want to change just 25 of them to A.

anyway, solved now.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Jesus, Eagle...so you started this nonsense. I think encouraging new GMs to make wild and unbalancing trades is a pretty poor idea.

Haha, I was messing around with him, never thought he would actually do it. I stated afterwards when he told he was about to make a move that it was a bad idea.

Please, don't try to pin down this situation on me. I'm not anyone's mother. If Reen like to gave away the private messages we shared together, he should also provide the next two I sended, where I basically enumerate all the reason why trading for the #5 is a very bad idea.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Haha, I was messing around with him, never thought he would actually do it. I stated afterwards when he told he was about to make a move that it was a bad idea.

Please, don't try to pin down this situation on me. I'm not anyone's mother. If Reen like to gave away the private messages we cheered together, he should also provide the next two I sended, where I basically enumerate all the reason why trading for the #5 is a very bad ideaé

I know your original suggestion was not meant to be taken seriously. I was just giving you a hard time. To be honest, I do find the two "megatrades" we've seen proposed already in this still very young ATD rather exasperating, but if all of this forces us to come up with some kind of clear rule regarding the scope of trades, I suppose it will be for the best.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Please, don't try to pin down this situation on me. I'm not anyone's mother. If Reen like to gave away the private messages we cheered together, he should also provide the next two I sended, where I basically enumerate all the reason why trading for the #5 is a very bad ideaé

For the record , I didn't gave away any private messages as it's against my principles , the reason he's saying this is because you made a suggestion in one of the thread like he quoted and he figured I listened to you.Private messages stays private.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
For the record , I didn't gave away any private messages as it's against my principles , the reason he's saying this is because you made a suggestion in one of the thread like he quoted and he figured I listened to you.Private messages stays private.

I don't remember writing this anywhere else but to you. If it's not the case, then I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->