ATD 2011 Draft Thread XI - The Aftermath

Fugu

You guys are free to discuss how to manage your drafts, teams, votes... basically the entire structure.

It's up to us to determine how to deal with matters when site rules are broken, and we only discuss these matters with the poster in question.

When a user is found to have multiple accounts on hfboards, they are merged into his original account and he is banned. At least this is what usually happens on hfboards. Apparently, the mods decided to be lenient this time and only do the merge...

Actually, no. Having an alternate account is just another violation. A warning, infraction or ban may be issued depending on the purpose for the account. Opening an account to circumvent points, which results in a loss of privileges, earns the poster a 30 day ban. Circumventing a ban (points, thread bans or forum bans) usually earns the poster a permanent ban.

The fantasy forum is quite typically populated by users who try to open up several accounts, apparently to help their team(s) or to manage more than one team.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It's ironic given how much he was fighting to get this moved back to the HoH section. Perhaps he never really believed in that.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Well, obviously, making multiple accounts and heckling people from them is fairly despicable, and in the interests of moving on VanIslander should definitely be banned from any future ATD's despite the work he put into it. Adding the precautionary of a kind of "alibi" for incoming GM's should prevent more fake ones from coming in, and it smart in weeding out people who won't be committed.

Now, the obvious question to the mods is, do we know that all of VanIslander's alternates have now been uprooted, to a 100% or close to it certainty?

I see people are really scared by this, but I am an optimist and don't see it as too bad as far as the core of the draft is concern. If we are dealing with VanIslander making multiple accounts and teams the past couple of drafts, teams that never really went deep into the draft anyway, then I don't think the integrity of the ATD really suffers much if at all. Maybe in the "court of law" that is not the case, but I think we can have piece of mind that the integrity of it is still strong in our hearts.

And let's get back to the fundamentals here, people, before we panic about the state of the ATD: At root level, the ATD is about having fun and learning about hockey history. Has VanIslander making multiple accounts really change or damaged either of those things? Has it stopped our learning of history or reversed the knowledge we have gained? Heck no.

VanIslander, though a great GM before this came to surface, is a person this community can live without. We were under that impression this entire draft. We're strong enough for that.

A black mark and unfortunate event, but there is no reason to press the panic button here.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Make no mistake, VI's actions have damaged the integrity of the ATD. Just the fact that this went on for so long unnoticed in and of itself makes it a mockery. Others will take notice of that before they decide to participate, you can be assured of that.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Make no mistake, VI's actions have damaged the integrity of the ATD. Just the fact that this went on for so long unnoticed in and of itself makes it a mockery. Others will take notice of that before they decide to participate, you can be assured of that.

Again, it doesn't affect anything on the basic level of what the ATD should be about-fun and history.

Whether this will damage incoming GM's or not will remain to be seen. Just as there are people such as yourself who really think the ATD has blasted integrity, I think there are people like myself who don't see it as a deal that big.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

It's the Internet. Things like this inevitably happen. Has a VI team ever even won it's division? It's quite obvious he wasn't fudging vote counts before, though I wouldn't be shocked if he voted for himself twice in the past.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Again, it doesn't affect anything on the basic level of what the ATD should be about-fun and history.

Whether this will damage incoming GM's or not will remain to be seen. Just as there are people such as yourself who really think the ATD has blasted integrity, I think there are people like myself who don't see it as a deal that big.

It's not a big deal.

I mean, if I lost a 7 game series to VI or ZM in the past, I'd be pissed. But again, I'm pretty sure neither team ever won it's division, so it's not like draft results as a whole were compromised.

Ban VI from voting and let's move on.

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
It's not a big deal.

I mean, if I lost a 7 game series to VI or ZM in the past, I'd be pissed. But again, I'm pretty sure neither team ever won it's division, so it's not like draft results ad a while were compromised.

Ban VI from voting and let's move on.

I think I can agree with this.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
As far as I know, I am not, nor have I ever been, VI.

I did team up with him for about 2 rounds in this draft, but my 1st round pick was a no-brainer, and the 2nd round pick was, again, something we both kinda decided on. it was at that point that he left, and I was on my own.

I actually thought ZM was from LeafsCentral :(

EDIT: And it was also ZM/VI who tried to make that big trade with Reen right at the start of the draft.

I still have PMs if nobody believes the Dwightster, but I have people from LC who can vouch. I've been on that board since 2005 (kinda depressing since I'm a Habs fan...)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Don't get me wrong. If VI is allowed to vote in this or future drafts, I will not be pleased. But I assume it goes without saying that he won't.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
IDEALLY, this doesn't affect anything.. but the reputation of the ATD has been damaged.. to think otherwise is foolish.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So I am to be permanently exiled from the board?

If so, I have a box of hockey history books I paid seventieslord $500 for last summer. They have no use to me other than research for MLDs. They can be had for simply the coast of shipping. PM me.

But there is more fitting punishment, isn't there?

Last edited:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
I support a temporary ban...like maybe have VI sit out the MLD and all that.

Really, when you get down to what the ATD is REALLY supposed to be about, his misdoings aren't as bad. Still unethical, still wrong, but AFAIK, there wasn't any real compromise to the draft's integrity here.

Though no offense, VI, but I always thought Sabre was a bit of a d-bag...

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
IDEALLY, this doesn't affect anything.. but the reputation of the ATD has been damaged.. to think otherwise is foolish.

What is the "reputation" of the ATD, precisely? Best case, A competitive hockey-history league with a very knowledgeable and history driven community? How does this change that, since VanI evidently didn't care enough to make himself win? VanI is too obsessed with the ATD and making it succeed; not obsessed with the competitive aspect or winning in it.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Not to belittle the time we have all spent on it, but really?

We're talking about a fantasy draft on a web forum. The only people who care about the integrity and reputation of the draft are the same people who are participating.

If you want to be outraged save it for someone who deserves it like the guys on Wall Street who just finished taking the world to the cleaners.

:)

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
THAT would be punishment! Gawd how I live for MLD research! A one-year suspension, making me able to return no sooner than MLD 2012. That is fair, isn't it?

Thats what I meant. Sit out this MLD and whatever extra drafts we have this year, then next year's ATD, and allow you to return for MLD 2012 (assuming the world doesn't end :naughty:)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Leafs Forver said:
VanI evidently didn't care enough to make himself win? VanI is too obsessed with the ATD and making it succeed; not obsessed with the competitive aspect or winning in it.
100% correct.

It's all about giving historical respect to the individual players for me. I get tears in my eyes when I see a guy I'd profiled in past drafts get picked by someone else much earlier. And I get such joy from discovering that another GM has found a guy or info on a guy that I hadn't come across before. The ATD is a great vehicle for reflecting on the relative merits of players, a fun journey through hockey history.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So I am to be permanently banned from the board?

If so, I have a box of hockey history books I paid seventieslord $500 for last summer. They have no use to me other than research for MLDs. They can be had for simply the coast of shipping. PM me.

I really hope for your own sake, you do something about your Internet addiction. As for the draft, I really don't care what happens to you. As far as I'm concerned, you can't vote for the rest of the draft and we'll decide about the future when it's over. I'm tired of talking about you.

Edit: though you did provide a good 8 hours or so of amusement today.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
lol @ typical jarek

Was this really, really necessary? Are you out here just to berate and belittle me for everything I say that you don't agree with? So far, everything here has been civilized, but you seem to want to make this confrontational. I believe I have the right to an opinion on this matter, as well as the privilege of voicing that opinion if I choose to, so unless you have a problem with that, kindly make some meaningful comments on here if you are so inclined. Otherwise, just stop.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I'm ok with the ban until MLD 2012. Anything beyond seems excessive to me, honestly.

Permanently banning VI would be a terrible loss to future ATDs, MLDs, etc...

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't be pleading your case too much here yet VanIslander, considering the thinness of the surface on which you stand upon.

Considering the unique scenario here, we should not make haste with a final decision. At the same time, we can not let this sit too long either for fear of people not caring about it at all.

I think most can probably agree on at least a temp-ban. Perhaps a ban on him doing anything to do with voting on these boards as well. A perma-ban from competition, is another option, and with that, whether or not to let him stay in a strictly observational capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad