ATD 2011 Draft Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So, about goalie sizes.. everyone loves to hate on Worters, but what about Roach? He's only 5'5!

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
You're right. He was piakced at #628.

I thought something smelled funny about that pick.

You'll need a new pick TDMM.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Haha oops. I'll make my first drunk pick of the draft and select Jiri Lala, RW

Lalala was the 2nd best RW in Europe behind Sergei makarov for about 5 years in the early 80s

If he maintained his pace for 10, he'd be a legit option for a 2nd liner. But he didn't, so he's best used as a spare who can play up to 20 games that palffy might be injured

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For our first spare, the Philadelphia Firebirds will select a player we believe is one of, if not the strongest offensive players available, C Herb Jordan

admin_content_retrievercfm.jpg

I think he is probably the best offensive player left, and maybe for a while, too. Good spare for that reason.

There's a big difference between 5'2" and 5'5"

Jeez jarek, this is what I tried to tell you a few days ago....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm at work right now. Need to get a few things done and then ill take look at who has recently been take.

- should pick within an hour

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OK, what position is Zhluktov? VI originally took him as an "extra forward" and didn't specify a position. Last MLD, papershoes called him a center, now he calls him a RW.

http://www.google.ca/#q=zhluktov+po...PAtgfs4fGLCw&start=0&sa=N&fp=8dc8f0993e6a0d06

I see results calling him a C, LW, C/LW, and probably most importantly, chidlovski has him as the center of two of the best soviet lines of the 1970s.

So... center?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
You want to keep nabby planted on the bench in the playoffs, but he's a good regular season backup for sure.

Exactly our plan. We felt we needed a strong regular season goalie to backup Barrasso in order to keep our #1 fresh for the playoffs. Barrasso was a great talent, but he was fragile, and limiting his regular season workload was a big priority for us. Another thing I valued in Nabokov as Barrasso's backup is that he is an easygoing guy and a good citizen who has experience sharing the goaltending limelight with the competition and was always supportive of the other netminders on his team even when those guys were trying to take his job. It's sort of a tricky juggling act with Barrasso because on the one hand you want a goalie who can carry a good chunk of the load and keep him fresh going into the playoffs, but on the other hand you don't want a guy who is so good that Tommy will view him as competition for the #1 job and start threatening his life. I think Nabokov is a good fit for Gwinnett. He will play about 35 games in the regular season.

Speaking of Barrasso and workload, I found some interesting information on just that issue whilst poking around at LCS hockey (an excellent though now defunct hockey periodical who keep their archives active). First, Barrasso got chicken pox that season, and missed ten games, which in and of itself is no big deal, but the Penguins were a great team that year and Scotty Bowman decided to let Barrasso start every game consecutively for something like 30 games to end the season in pursuit of an unbeaten streak record. From LCS hockey:

There was a time a couple of years ago when I claimed Scotty Bowman's time as the premiere coach in hockey was at an end because of the way he single-handedly crushed the Penguins' hopes at three-peating as Stanley Cup Champs. Amongst the rationales I had for this somewhat unorthodox claim was the way he ran goaltender Tom Barrasso into the ground by having him start the last third of the season in quest of a relatively meaningless unbeaten streak record. Sure enough, Barrasso went cold in the second round as the Penguins lost to the lowly Islanders, and Bowman had allowed xxxxxxxxxx to practically atrophy by not playing him.

Interesting stuff that I hadn't known about Barrasso (and Bowman) before digging around a bit. It should also be noted that in spite of a couple bad games, Tom Barrasso actually ended the 93 playoffs at 5th in SV% among the 16 starting goalies who competed. Here is the leaderboard:

1. Cujo .938 (2nd round exit)
2. Roy .929 (Cup winner)
3. Hextall .915 (1st round exit)
4. xxxxxx .913 (1st round exit)
5. Barrasso .905 (2nd round exit)
6. Potvin .903 (lost Conference Finals)
7. xxxxxx .891 (1st round exit)
8. xxxxxx .887 (lost Conference Finals)
9. xxxxxx .887 (lost Cup Finals)
10. xxxxxx .886 (2nd round exit)
11. xxxxxx .880 (1st round exit)
12. Fuhr .875 (2nd round exit)
13. Belfour .866 (1st round exit)
14. xxxxxx .856 (1st round exit)
15. Vernon/xxxxxx (1st round exit)
16. Moog .791 (1st round exit)

Also worth noting is Barrasso's SV% in the Islanders series, which was .904, so basically exactly the same as his overall postseason numbers. I remember Tommy letting in a couple of bad goals, but he wasn't that bad overall, and at any rate there were a lot of factors that went into Pittsburgh's downfall in those playoffs, Kevin Stevens' broken face and Mario Lemieux's gimpy back prominent among them. I don't remember who it was that said Barrasso singlehandedly lost that Islander series for the Penguins, but that is nonsense.

As for the Penguins struggles in the 1994 playoffs (for which Barrasso was also blamed in that hack-job post), I refer the reader to this article, also from LCS hockey (use control-f to find it - it's near the bottom of a large text file). A couple of quotes:

PENGUINS DISAPPOINT TWO YEARS IN A ROW

[long list of Penguins who played poorly in the Washington series]...

As shown above, a lot of changes have to be made if the Penguins want to get back to the playoffs and be effective. General Manager Craig Patrick has a big task ahead of him. He has to find a way to replace an aging defensive corp to help out Tom Barrasso (who had an excellent playoff series) in net and create a balanced offense that can be more efficient in the playoffs. Good luck, Mr. Patrick. You're going to need it.

So much for the business about Barrasso's play in the 1994 playoffs. Seems that Tommy was one of the few Penguins who actually played well in 1994. LCS hockey is, by the way, an excellent periodical for very specific information on the timeframe (94-99) that it covers.

Last edited:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
I assume papershoes has been skipped by now.

I'll take a goalie who is probably one of the best in the league, but has been stuck on crummy teams throughout his career.

Tomas Vokoun, G

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
does anyone know which seasons AS's were selected by coaches?

coaches picked AS's in '48, but i don't know which others. coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

i found that harry lumley was picked 1st AS in '48 in a poll of readers by the hockey news. he was also picked as the top goalie in a vote by NYR players, and in a vote by sid abel, syl apps, milt schmidt, neil colville, elmer lach, johnny mariucci, and foster hewitt for the national home monthly.

'48 hockey news readers' poll:
ivan
lindsay - m bentley - poile
thomson - j stewart
lumley

day
g stewart - o'connor - richard
quackenbush - reardon
broda

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tzAaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ICUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6180,5048603&dq=harry+lumley+all+star&hl=en

top 2 in voting, lumley and max bentley, were not picked by coaches. dink carroll of the montreal gazette said that the hockey news poll was conducted a couple of weeks before the end of the season, and that not all their picks stand up b/c of events since then. lumley nearly won the vezina/jennings in '48, but lost it to broda at the end of the season.

national home monthly vote:
lindsay - m bentley - richard
stewart - reardon
lumley

d bentley - o'connor - poile
quackenbush - bouchard
broda

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=h5NjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=T3oNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1272,2397800&dq=maurice+richard+all+star&hl=en

bud poile got the most votes in NYR poll. i don't know the full results of NYR poll, but they include lumley, lindsay, jack stewart and probably max bentley.

sturminator could read about it in may 5, 1948 NYT.

'49 hockey news readers' poll:
ivan
conacher - d bentley - richard
quackenbush - reardon
durnan

irvin
lindsay - abel - poile
harmon - stewart
rayner

durnan got the most votes, then bentley, who played C in '49.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KbIrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lP4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4082,2927362&dq=poile+lindsay&hl=en

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
When I posted in the lineup thread, I did not see that you had drafted Simpson. I think he's a better option for MacLeish than Ogrodnick. Just as good peak scoring, but a little better at everything else.

Well now I have the option of switching them but Ogrodnick was definitely a better offensive player than Simpson, even if they peaked close to the same in goals. Simpson may have had the potential to be better but his back injuries stopped that.

Simpson was a big chippier and he does have a better playoff track record courtesy of playing in Edmonton though but he did have a pretty short career due to his back.

At least now I have the option of switching a couple of good players around to match up against teams.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
bud poile got the most votes in NYR poll. i don't know the full results of NYR poll, but they include lumley, lindsay, jack stewart and probably max bentley.

sturminator could read about it in may 5, 1948 NYT.

Just searched for "Bud Poile", "Poile" and "New York Rangers" in May of 1948 and couldn't find it. Such is life with Google Archives. Post the link and I'll give you the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad