ATD 2011 Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derick*

You absolutely CAN make an argument for Thornton, even though you don't own him. That's the spirit of the ATD.

Oh I know I can but I'm not going to go through all the trouble if he's not on my team.

And I seriously could have done a damn good job. I am to defending Joe Thornton as Seventies is to defending third line wingers from the 1930s.

HN, if you want to trade him, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Since Chris Pronger is in our division, we have to be sure, that our pucks stay in our rink. Detroit Red Wings select:

Stapleton.jpg

Pat Stapleton, D

LoH said:
Stapleton was voted to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 1966 and duplicated this honor in 1971 and 1972. He played with the Hawks until the end of the 1972-73 season and helped the squad reach the Stanley Cup finals in 1971 and 1973. His quick hands and lightning reflexes, combined with a hard, accurate shot, made him one of the more effective point men in the NHL. Defensively, he was a master of the poke-check and was able to consistently steer opponents away from the goal.

Stapleton and defense partner developed into one of the NHL's elite tandems. They were the key to the Hawks winning four straight West Division crowns, and in the 1972 Summit Series against the USSR they were teamed in seven of the eight games.

Stapleton was also known for their pranks that helped keep the Chicago and Canada teams loose.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
For all I care he could adjust to 5'6'' and it wouldn't matter. He was one of the greatest bodychecker of All-Time, one of the toughest and he was one of the most feared pugilist of his generation. His 'adjust' size dosn't interest, nor bother me one bit.

I thought you wanted the clearest picture possible of your player!??!?!?!?

Fern Flaman is only average height!! Fern Flaman is only average height!! :yo:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I thought you wanted the clearest picture possible of your player!??!?!?!?

Fern Flaman is only average height!! Fern Flaman is only average height!! :yo:

The clearest picture goes like this: if Flaman was average in height in HIS era, he's average in the ATD. If he weight more than the average player of his era, he will be above average in the ATD. That simple. Adjust size is one of the most useless thing I ever saw in the ATD

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The clearest picture goes like this: if Flaman was average in height in HIS era, he's average in the ATD. If he weight more than the average player of his era, he will be above average in the ATD. That simple. Adjust size is one of the most useless thing I ever saw in the ATD

Now it's YOUR turn to turn your sarcasm detector on. :P

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
via text:

Mark selects C, Darryl Sittler

HHOF
SAST (77-78)
top ten goals (6,8,9)
top ten assists (2,8)
top ten points (3,8,8,9,9)

Led his team in scoring 8 straight seasons

Marks top line: Olmstead-Sittler-Geoffrion

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I guess that means me and dave are up.

With our 5th pick the Garnish Phantoms select Glenn Anderson, Right Winger.

glenn-anderson.jpg

Some notes about Anderson:

-4 time 40 goal scorer
-3 100 point seasons
-Career Totals of 498 Goals 601 Assists for 1099 Points
-6 Stanley Cups
-93 Goals and 121 Assists in 225 Career Games

More on Anderson can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10021

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
via text:

Mark selects C, Darryl Sittler

HHOF
SAST (77-78)
top ten goals (6,8,9)
top ten assists (2,8)
top ten points (3,8,8,9,9)

Led his team in scoring 8 straight seasons

Marks top line: Olmstead-Sittler-Geoffrion

good pick , he was the center I kept an eye on if Denis Savard was out.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tommy Phillips:
-I think he gets a lot of mileage out of those Ultimate Hockey things.

Probably yes, but every profile written about him (LOH, etc) talks about how he was the best backchecker and fastest player of his day. He also provides "enough" offense to fit in on a first line.

I put a lot more stock into what Lester Patrick and an undrafted well-respected player say when they rave about Phillips's all-round ability. He was also in inaugural member of the HHOF, despite not dying young, despite basically being a mercenary for a large part of his career, so he got in (to the very first ever HHOF class) on ability alone.

For me, he got a lot of mileage out of having a very unique skillset for a left wing. In my opinion, there are going to be quite a few "glue guys" wingers who are going to be liabilities with the puck on their sticks in this. Phillips isn't going to lead the offense, but he's certainly good enough to be the 3rd best offensive player on a very good 1st line.

Dreakmur (edit: that would be you haha) put together a really good collection of quotes on him and 70s put together an incredibly long essay, that among other things, shows Phillips as one of the top playoff (Stanley Cup Challenge) scorers of his day, in addition to everything else he brings.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I really hate that attitude, but to each their own. I'm also here for the competition, but I couldn't careless if I help the other teams in my own division. It's a learning process first and foremost.

Me too. I'm obviously not going to do a ton of research to help players I don't have on my team. But if I know something is wrong, I'm going to chip in and help out.

On that note, pretty sure Chara won a recent player's poll for "best defensive defenseman" in the league, but I haven't been able to find it and am not going to look for it. (He was 2nd to Lidstrom in the poll from last year that I provided).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
EagleBelfour said:
You absolutely CAN make an argument for Thornton, even though you don't own him. That's the spirit of the ATD.
Cognition said:
Oh I know I can but I'm not going to go through all the trouble if he's not on my team.
:( The spirit of the ATDs these days. It's more about winning than a vehicle for discussing history, gamers more than history buffs.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Me too. I'm obviously not going to do a ton of research to help players I don't have on my team. But if I know something is wrong, I'm going to chip in and help out.

On that note, pretty sure Chara won a recent player's poll for "best defensive defenseman" in the league, but I haven't been able to find it and am not going to look for it. (He was 2nd to Lidstrom in the poll from last year that I provided).

You may be thinking of this poll, in which Chara won "toughest defenceman to play against"

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
The Cleveland Barons are pleased to select...

Luc Robitaille, LW

P200903S.jpg

Robitaille-Esposito-Neely

A line that can score, skate, setup, get the puck out. You name it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Cleveland Barons are pleased to select...

Luc Robitaille, LW

P200903S.jpg

Robitaille-Esposito-Neely

A line that can score, skate, setup, get the puck out. You name it.

That's a line that has a lot of offensive talent and certainly won't be intimidated, but you can't have Robitaille and Esposito both standing in front of the net at once!

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
That's a line that has a lot of offensive talent and certainly won't be intimidated, but you can't have Robitaille and Esposito both standing in front of the net at once!

Well with Esposito being much more renown for standing in front of the net. We'll rely on Luc to put his dead-on accurate shot to the net, and if he doesn't score. Phil will clean up the garbage without any issues. :)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think that the average height amongst defensemen is 6'1 actually. Don't have the numbers though.

I think the numbers jarek provided show it is probably 6'2" for defensemen. But I think it's 6'1" for forwards and players in general.

Yup.

I find it interesting how Gainey's stock keeps dropping over time.

People who saw him play a lot, and those who played with and against him, have a vastly higher opinion than people since.

The reason for that being his stats, of course. Yet everyone should know that the stats don't tell the story with him. That is what all the contemporaries told us about him. Now it is just dismissed.

Great, they rave about his defense. And how does that figure into our endeavors to determine if his impact was as profound as a great offensive player, or a very good two-way player? For example, no way do I ever take Gainey over Bill Barber, Lanny McDonald, Rick Middleton, or even Paul Kariya.

Are we still trying to convince ourselves of things like this? It's a competition, through and through. I chip in with little tidbits here and there myself when I come across them, but I personally am too busy to put time into things I don't have a vested interest in over here.

So am I, but not everyone is.

Eddie Shore and Jean Beliveau were both very big for their era. Who was bigger relative to their era?

Adjusted size is a good idea. What is stupid is a few people treating it like the bible.

I guess that means me and dave are up.

With our 5th pick the Garnish Phantoms select Glenn Anderson, Right Winger.

glenn-anderson.jpg

Some notes about Anderson:

-4 time 40 goal scorer
-3 100 point seasons
-Career Totals of 498 Goals 601 Assists for 1099 Points
-6 Stanley Cups
-93 Goals and 121 Assists in 225 Career Games

More on Anderson can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10021

I thought he'd look really good next to Messier; I just couldn't afford to overpay for him without pulling off a big trade first.

Tommy Phillips:
-I think he gets a lot of mileage out of those Ultimate Hockey things.

Just about everything in my profile on him was from a book other than UH.

Derick*

:( The spirit of the ATDs these days. It's more about winning than a vehicle for discussing history, gamers more than history buffs.

I'm all for discussing history and arguing on behalf of players not on my team, it's just, I have a lot that I could say about Thornton and it would be a lot of work to put together the full case that I was planning to once I had him. A damn lot. There was going to be graphs and charts and ****.

Y'all missed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad