Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Guelph Platers select 50 goal/100 point scorer and special teams standout:

Rick Middleton

You realize this is the guy I was talking about a thread ago, right? I got the impression you thought I meant Cam Neely.

I think there needs to be some disciplinary actions taken against people trying to rush people who are drafting. If you want to fast track a draft I suggest you go play an NHL video game. Weekends is to my knowledge not draft crunch time. People will take their time. Now shut up and either enjoy the draft or leave it.

Agree. (well maye not on the disciplinary action, but peeople do need to chill out.)

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009

Inglewood is proud to welcome their first Russian, Alexander Ragulin, to the squad. He will more than likely be paired with Sylvio Mantha to create one of the better shutdown pairings in the ATD. Ragulin's imposing net presence along with Mantha's rock solid, all-around game including his ability to rush the puck will make for a perfect match. I weighed our need for a forward but having Ragulin fall this far was just too much to pass up I felt.

Also, arrbez has officially departed, so he will be helping as much as he can, but for the most part I'll be making the selections from here on in.

Finally as a side note, I am in the market to move up for a pick later this round. PM me if you have a desire to move back.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Inglewood is proud to welcome their first Russian, Alexander Ragulin, to the squad. He will more than likely be paired with Sylvio Mantha to create one of the better shutdown pairings in the ATD. Ragulin's imposing net presence along with Mantha's rock solid, all-around game including his ability to rush the puck will make for a perfect match. I weighed our need for a forward but having Ragulin fall this far was just too much to pass up I felt.

Also, arrbez has officially departed, so he will be helping as much as he can, but for the most part I'll be making the selections from here on in.

Finally as a side note, I am in the market to move up for a pick later this round. PM me if you have a desire to move back.

And so the fall ends. I chose Maltsev over Ragulin at 135, shocked he fell so far. Excellent pick, he's such a stud of a defenseman. I was also going to trade up for him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ragulin usually goes too early in this (he should never be picked ahead of Kasatonov), but he's a very good pick this late.

Definitely another guy I was considering for my last pick.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Ragulin usually goes too early in this (he should never be picked ahead of Kasatonov), but he's a very good pick this late.

Definitely another guy I was considering for my last pick.

I agree about Kasatonov. He's a guy that looking at past drafts has kinda been underrated in my view.

I honestly probably would have taken Ragulin ahead of Kasatonov just with the way I'm planning on building my defense, but I agree Kasatonov is certainly the better player.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Considering when Suchy was selected, Ragulin is a great value. The two should be considered practically even - Suchy with a peak edge, Ragulin with a longevity edge.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
No, but he was certainly better than Ragulin. The knock on Ragulin was his skating and Howell was known as a good skater. I guess I meant more of a puck moving defenseman rather than two-way.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I Just found a nice piece of article to spark some rivalry between TDMM and the Detroit Falcons, two divisional rivals:

Years later, Flaman told me: "In all the years I played in the league, there was only one player I hated. Henri Richard!"

Richard shrugged when he was told about it the next day. "In all the years I played in the league, I was never afraid of Flaman!"

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Henri+Richard+Pocket+Rocket/2107322/story.html#ixzz1DpGrvFGP

I don't know why I keep finding incident between Fern Flaman and Henri Richard:

(Flaman) once nearly killed Montreal's Henri Richard with a devastating, but legal body check during a game at Boston Garden. - Who's Who in Hockey

Not only are the first two in Henri's profile, but there are some more quotes about Flaman, as well. Flaman was mentioned in articles I read about Henri, more than any other player. It seems like little Henri Richard was the constant thorn in the side of big bad Fern Flaman.

Fern Flaman said:
One of the things he used to when he went wide on me was lean into me and actually grab my knee. We'd both go down, and I would get the penalty for holding, because it was impossible to see what Henri was doing! It used to drive me crazy!

You should know that in the six-team NHL, bench- clearings were the rule rather than the exception. Teams met 14 times during the regular season, often on back-to-back nights. The benches cleared in Boston one night, and there was young Richard in the middle of it, taking on four Bruins, one after the other. He won the first three fights, including one over Jack Bionda, who towered over him. An exhausted Richard fought to a draw in a fourth against Fern Flaman, who was among the NHL's best and most feared fighters.

This might all be from the same article.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
P
---

How about helping a divisional team!

Hockey Sports Stars of 1973

- ''But this may surprise you, pound for pound, little Henri Richard is as good as any (fighter).'' - Referee Matt Pavelich

Right back at you:

WHO IS THE BEST SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN?

Nicklas Lidstrom, Red Wings 25%

Zdeno Chara, Bruins 23%

XXX, 10%

Chris Pronger, Flyers 9%

Scott Niedermayer, Ducks 7%

...Based on a survey of 272 NHL players (in May, 2010)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1168936/index.htm#ixzz1DtYHga29

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
No, but he was certainly better than Ragulin. The knock on Ragulin was his skating and Howell was known as a good skater. I guess I meant more of a puck moving defenseman rather than two-way.

Ragulin wasn't the greatest skater but that didn't seem to have any impact on his puckmoving abilities. There's really no good way to say that Howell's "certainly" better than Ragulin in that regard. Pretty much, what it comes down to is whether you believe that the (approximately) 8th best offensive defenseman in the NHL is better than the best Soviet at that time.

Pretty close if you ask me.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ragulin wasn't the greatest skater but that didn't seem to have any impact on his puckmoving abilities. There's really no good way to say that Howell's "certainly" better than Ragulin in that regard. Pretty much, what it comes down to is whether you believe that the (approximately) 8th best offensive defenseman in the NHL is better than the best Soviet at that time.

Pretty close if you ask me.

How do we know Ragulin was the best Soviet puck mover of his time? Are there comprehensive stats for the era on SIHR?

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I'd also question whether Ragulin was the best puck mover of his time.

Same here, while researching him for my upcoming pick, I received many indications that he was predominantly known for his defensive ability. But besides his slap shot, nothing showed of Ragulin being a very good puck mover. He was massive (especially in his era), knew how to play the physical aspect of the game. But I'd need to see some proof in order to determine whether he is what some of you make him out to be.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
soviet league stats are sparse, but it's easy to assume that whoever their best puckmover was, he was on the national team. With 41 points in 108 games, Ragulin easily put up the most points internationally for the Soviets in the space of his career and the five years before and after it. Per-game, one guy had a higher rate but it was in less than half as many games and mostly against weaker, earlier competition. One other guy also did, but in even fewer games, and he played "halfback" internationally in the Soviets' unique system (and won best forward in one tournament as a result) so he doesn't really count.

Ragulin also tied for the most points among defensemen at three international tournaments; in the last of which, that tie was with Carl Brewer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad