At which point do you decide it’s time to upgrade your TV

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My television has decided to give me HDCP errors again after not having them for months. It's incredibly infuriating. I think it's time to buy a new one. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any black friday/cyber monday deals I should wait for?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My television has decided to give me HDCP errors again after not having them for months. It's incredibly infuriating. I think it's time to buy a new one. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any black friday/cyber monday deals I should wait for?

It could be the HDMI cable. Try another one, the newer, the better. You may even want to just buy a brand new one. If it doesn't solve it and you need to replace the TV, anyways, well, having a spare high quality HDMI is never a bad thing.

I would also try a factory reset on the TV if it has the option.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It could be the HDMI cable. Try another one, the newer, the better. You may even want to just buy a brand new one. If it doesn't solve it and you need to replace the TV, anyways, well, having a spare high quality HDMI is never a bad thing.

I would also try a factory reset on the TV if it has the option.

I already tried a new Roku and multiple HDMI cords. This was a major problem for me about a year or so ago and replacing the Roku worked for a period of time but after a recent power outage the problem has returned. It's just hard to believe that I'd get two (different models) Rokus that suffer from the same issue like this. I currently have a crappy Westinghouse television (WE55UC4200).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm totally with the OP. Have a flat screen I got in 2010 and it's just fine. I use an Apple TV for streaming.

But deals right now. A 50 inch Samsung with charcoal black for $350?! Man, that's tempting.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm probably just going to get a TCL 65" 6 Series and call it a day. They're $800 right now and might drop lower come Black Friday. It's got great reviews for the price point and I really don't want to blow a ton of money on a television.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad