At which point do you decide it’s time to upgrade your TV

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
4k vs HDR vs OLED...

Is it worth paying a lot more for an OLED TV? Is the difference in picture that great vs a 4k HDR LED?

4k, hdr, and oled are not mutually exclusive.

• you can have a 4k tv without hdr that is not oled

• you can have a 4k+hdr tv that is not oled

• you probably cannot have an oled tv that's not 4k+hdr (at least the newer models - old models could be 1080p and non-hdr)

To actually answer your question, yes, it's worth paying more. The image is incredible. Much like plasma, there's no "backlight" to an OLED tv. Each pixel is an individual light that produces the primary colors, and more importantly, can shut off. That means you have basically unlimited contrast and black levels that approach "zero" (or infinity?). It's almost ridiculous how much nicer they are than traditional LED technology.

It does have drawbacks; namely burn-in (like plasma) can occur. It's not as bright as regular LED tech, though, in an isolated environment (ie: not right next to a maxed out led tv) you'd be hard pressed to notice the slightly dimmer picture.

If you're willing to pay for it, it's worth it 100%. If you have some capacity to wait, there's some new technology in the pipe, called MicroLED. It will behave much in the same way that OLED does (individually lit pixels) and bring all the OLED benefits without the drawbacks. It will not be susceptible to burn-in, and will be bright as shit.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Yeah but it will probably take a while before MicroLED TV prices are anywhere near affordable, while OLEDs are somewhat there now. Also, what is QLED??

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Still rocking my 72" Samsung DLP 1080p from 2008, picked up used a few years ago for a couple hundred, changed the bulb for 80 bucks, bam, brand new tv, it sounds great, looks great, isn't heavy, not deep, matching stand and it looks very sleek, pinnacle of 2008 screens for the end of the DLP generation lol. I get stunned compliments from people who visit all the time. UHD 65" screens are creeping pretty low though...but, I'll keep that monster screen until it's dead, color wheel is solid, not loud at all.
Cons, I get the game of thrones contrast issue...but from what I hear, everyone was complaining this season. It's like having a movie theater in my basement, samsung surround sound, I am quite happy with all if it and never think to really update besides when I see those great deals. It isn't a need at this point though, would just be a greedily want. PS4, bell Fibe whole home PVR, covers my streaming and net services, living the big screen life.
I blacked out the wall behind it too so when sitting at night, its just plain awesome!

Reactions: Power Man

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah but it will probably take a while before MicroLED TV prices are anywhere near affordable, while OLEDs are somewhat there now. Also, what is QLED??
QLED is a marketing term designed to confuse people, it's literally just a regular Samsung LCD with a wider color gamut and local dimming (I assume on every model since all qleds are positioned pretty pricy)

However, the color gamut IS actually comparable to OLEDs and being an LCD the top end models can get much brighter than OLEDs.

However, the main selling point of OLEds is they have "infinite contrast". No backlight and therefore no need for local dimming, all pixels light up individually and can shut off individually.

Probably best to take a look in best buy or Costco to give yourself a good idea first hand.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Opinions on TCL TVs?
They're good low end tvs to buy for 2-400 bucks, that from what I've seen don't break down like other cheap Chinese tvs.

But imo you can get a significantly better low end Samsung for a few hundred more. So I would just go in the store and compare whatever TCL panel you like to a Samsung 6900 or low end LG (I think LG 6300?), don't worry about HDR, HDR is pointless on low end models even if they advertise it, the screens don't get bright enough for any benefit, it looks the same as SDR.

Also worth paying attention to the ports. The Samsung 6900 has like 2 HDMI ports and that's it. It's the exact same tv as the next model up (7100 I think) just with barely any ports, which even a cheap TCL might have it beat in.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I didn't get a flat screen until 2010. 1080P is still good enough for me. I don't like the 4K screens. They bother my eyes.
Way late posting, but I have to agree, sort of. The 120-240 Hz motion effects make me sick, and the high brightness that people leave their TVs tunes to triggers headaches. At this rate I’ll be keeping my old projector for many more years.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I won't be upgrading any time soon unless it breaks down. I went from CRT to LCD 720p to LCD 1080P smart tv to QLED 4k smart tv in the span of nearly 20 years.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Way late posting, but I have to agree, sort of. The 120-240 Hz motion effects make me sick, and the high brightness that people leave their TVs tunes to triggers headaches. At this rate I’ll be keeping my old projector for many more years.
You can get 4k resolution without the higher Hz. It's what I have because I don't like the way the higher Hz tv's look.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I still like my 10 year old plasma. For me its about the motion rather than the max resolutions - which we are already in areas that your eyes can't fully utilize the picture quality anyways. But picture quality aside for some reason I just like how the motion looks on plasma the best.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
How are the viewing angles on that 4 series TCL 50"? Same as any other regular LCD with good viewing angles?

Our living room has a wide angle, the Sony 40" LCD is 10 years old now but the thing won't break down and I've had enough, think that the switch is worth it if the TV is less than $400 and bigger, just concerned about the viewing angles.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Just bought an Optoma hd27e 1080p DLP projector and am pretty impressed. Got it at about 124" just on a light tan wall right now in a room with windows. I'm on eco and it's alright during the day and great at night, taking eco off helps a little during the day. You do tinker with the picture settings a lot though.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
How are the viewing angles on that 4 series TCL 50"? Same as any other regular LCD with good viewing angles?

Our living room has a wide angle, the Sony 40" LCD is 10 years old now but the thing won't break down and I've had enough, think that the switch is worth it if the TV is less than $400 and bigger, just concerned about the viewing angles.

They are better than the ones on my dad's Samsung RU7100

EDIT: Mine is a 6 series 55" though

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I have A Sony running Android OS and a TCL 6 Series running Roku...I'll take Roku all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

In terms of when I decided to upgrade, Im a tech nerd so when I saw the TCL Roku 6 Series for $500 bucks, i jumped on it instantly.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I have A Sony running Android OS and a TCL 6 Series running Roku...I'll take Roku all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

In terms of when I decided to upgrade, Im a tech nerd so when I saw the TCL Roku 6 Series for $500 bucks, i jumped on it instantly.
Why do you prefer Roku’s interface to Android’s?

I’m asking I like that Android OS displays suggestions when you’re scrolling through apps in the main carousel

thanks

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Why do you prefer Roku’s interface to Android’s?

I’m asking I like that Android OS displays suggestions when you’re scrolling through apps in the main carousel

thanks
Roku is way easier to use and navigate. Its much faster and has all the apps you need. Pretty much every app has a suggestion feature now so having it built into the OS isn't that big of a deal to me.

If im watching something on Netflix or Prime for example, it will show me similar shows.

Also Roku gets updated more often then Android OS.

Reactions: Power Man

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Roku is way easier to use and navigate. Its much faster and has all the apps you need. Pretty much every app has a suggestion feature now so having it built into the OS isn't that big of a deal to me.

If im watching something on Netflix or Prime for example, it will show me similar shows.

Also Roku gets updated more often then Android OS.
Thank you

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
You can get 4k resolution without the higher Hz. It's what I have because I don't like the way the higher Hz tv's look.

Correct, absolutely - I meant that I’ve not a fan of paying for a new top of the line panel when the only thing I would want from it is 4K.

I don’t even have fiber where I live, or 4K Blu-Rays, so even 4K is kind of useless to me too. I’m turning from a tech geek to a curmudgeon. Is there a support group for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad