Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I bought my 42 in. TV in 2009

- 1080 P
- 60 hz
- image retention is to be expected
- cute burn in in the bottom right corner
- definitely not a smart TV

Sometimes I want to upgrade, sometimes I tell myself “it’s still working very well, there is no reason to buy a new one”

What do you guys usually do?

Sep 19, 2008
Your TV should be fine but it depends on your demands. For instance I use YoutubeTV which relies on a smart tv app. Therefore I needone. If you can just screw in a coax in the back of your TV and watch tv you should be fine.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

- 1080 P
- 60 hz

Sometimes I want to upgrade, sometimes I tell myself “it’s still working very well, there is no reason to buy a new one”

If it's a plasma you could probably get your money back in electricity savings after a few years if you bought a cheap 42" TCL.
Depends on the models involved and how many hours you use it of course.

I wouldn't put up with burn in myself, especially with how cheap 1080p LED tvs are.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa

- 1080 P
- 60 hz

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could get the same size tv but 4k with the apps and 120hz for around $400. I went online and to stores for a few weeks before I bought one that size for my helper at work (we were really busy and he deserved the surprise). If you are a gamer, I'd upgrade but you'd also have to upgrade the console to match the 4k. Like I said it all depends on how much you'd want to spend. You can also get a 5 year warranty on amazon for dirt cheap. I think I paid $70 for a 5 year in home service one on amazon. Best buy wanted $250 for a 2 year. That was for a 55 inch Sony.

Reactions: Power Man

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm still on the same 1080p projector from 10 years ago, just changing the bulb every couple years. But the picture is dulling noticeably, and shows like Game of Thrones are nearly unwatchable, due to poor contrast on the projector. A shiny new 4K set would be amazing, but...money.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Your TV should be fine but it depends on your demands. For instance I use YoutubeTV which relies on a smart tv app. Therefore I needone. If you can just screw in a coax in the back of your TV and watch tv you should be fine.
for apps I use my xBox One, I also have a Roku box so on that front I’m ok, although it’s slightly faster to access them on a smart TV

Reactions: Roman Fell

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
If it's a plasma you could probably get your money back in electricity savings after a few years if you bought a cheap 42" TCL.
Depends on the models involved and how many hours you use it of course.

I wouldn't put up with burn in myself, especially with how cheap 1080p LED tvs are.
It’s an LCD but electricity is included in my rent so that’s fine

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Depends on how much you want to spend. You could get the same size tv but 4k with the apps and 120hz for around $400. I went online and to stores for a few weeks before I bought one that size for my helper at work (we were really busy and he deserved the surprise). If you are a gamer, I'd upgrade but you'd also have to upgrade the console to match the 4k. Like I said it all depends on how much you'd want to spend. You can also get a 5 year warranty on amazon for dirt cheap. I think I paid $70 for a 5 year in home service one on amazon. Best buy wanted $250 for a 2 year. That was for a 55 inch Sony.
Yeah there are good deals on 4K TV nowadays, that’s why I’m tempted

I think I bought my current TV around 1000 dollars lol

I don’t game much except for the occasional FIFA or NBA 2K

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm still on the same 1080p projector from 10 years ago, just changing the bulb every couple years. But the picture is dulling noticeably, and shows like Game of Thrones are nearly unwatchable, due to poor contrast on the projector. A shiny new 4K set would be amazing, but...money.
yeah ride it until it dies imo

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I intend on riding out my TVs until they die.

I have a 32" bedroom TV from 2008 which still runs fine without issues, a 50" living room TV I got for 500 bucks back in 2015 and a 50" basement TV I got for 300 bucks last season with no problems.

I just hope I'm not as stubborn as my parents. They had an old CRT TV in the living room until probably 2016 and would have likely kept it if I hadn't noticed the corners of the f***ing image were warping inward.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
when I moved up resolution. otherwise would have continued happily on with my 55" Bravia from 2013.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah I still have a 2007 720p Panasonic plasma 42 inch in my bedroom and it still works great. Downstairs is an LG 55 inch 1080p from 2014 and works great too. Kinda just waiting for the plasma to die then move the LG upstairs and get a 65 inch for downstairs.

No rush I guess even though walking into a store it’s always tempting. Especially when I see like a 65 inch LG or Samsung for $800.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

- 1080 P
- 60 hz

Dude, you NEED a smart TV by now. UPGRADE.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bought my VT50 in 2010 and it’s still working well for me.

I’ll upgrade when I feel like there’s enough 4k gaming content and the new/upcoming hdmi standards are fully supported.

Till then, 1080p is enough for me.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
honestly other than an increase in size, it would be just a marginal update at best

at this point in time my advice would be if you are itching for a new one, buy it because you want a bigger one (like 50" or more), don't buy one thinking you'll see some drastic improvement if you buy another 42". you won't, unless you have a very well trained eye

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's a tough call.

I'm currently running a 60'' 4K Vizio from 2015, and I've debated upgrading to join the world of HDR (and general picture quality...it's not the best).

Even though the prices are pretty darn good these days, it's hard to justify spending money when you already have something that is working just fine (and then some). :laugh:

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
At which point do you decide it’s time to upgrade your TV?

Just did this year due to a electronic failure/malfunction on our 40" Haier from 2011. Ended up getting a 50" LG 4K smart Tv for 498$ at bestbuy. Enjoying it immensely.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have used my parents' smart TV on occasion, and I really don't get the appeal. Either they got a cheap as hell TV or there is way too much latency on the inputs for me.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I have used my parents' smart TV on occasion, and I really don't get the appeal. Either they got a cheap as hell TV or there is way too much latency on the inputs for me.

I'll admit I do wish they made more high quality picture dumb TVs.

A lot of people use separate devices for other reasons anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArchAngel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad