At what point is Nylander benched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I watched the whole game. "Creating changes and opening space" was something I did not see. So either I'm totally blind or Nylander was just not doing this.
Didn't see that drive to the net in the first? Didn't see him find the soft spot in the high slot in the second? Those are two that definitely stand out to me from tonight which were Grade A chances

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
And yeah, I’m not impressed with Nylander at all so far. Nothing close to what he was the previous two seasons. He’s had plenty of time to get acclimated to the NHL level now, and for whatever reason, he isn’t getting the job done.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Nylander was good tonight...went hard to the net, created opportunity. Marleau's stick was where scoring chances went to die

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I understand why people are pissed about the holdout. I understand and agree with criticism that he's soft, and the effort level is not always there. I even understand why people feel he is a perimeter player, even though I don't necessarily agree.

What I don't understand is that even after games where he did everything they say they want from him, it's still the same old posts anyway. He can't win.

I will say that he and Kadri look pretty bad together in the defensive zone. Two goals against tonight where they collectively share the blame because they go for the same play, opening up space that shouldn't be open.
He CAN'T WIN?

What in the absolute f*** are you talking about?

It's the same with any other player EVER.

Want to know how you "win"?

YOU EARN YOUR CONTRACT BASED ON THE SCORESHEET!!!!

ENOUGH of the excuses. ENOUGH of the rationalities. ENOUGH of the lies/rhetoric/spin.

JUST EARN YOUR f***ING CONTRACT BY CONTRIBUTING IN GOALS/POINTS!!!!

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
They should move him off Kadri's wing. The two always seem to be going in the same direction, trying to do the same thing. I feel like they've collided with each other twice a game since they've been together.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Marleau seemed like he was the one not working hard enough out there. I see people saying that he still has elite speed, but honestly, I disagree.

The thing I’ve noticed about him this season, is that he doesn’t seem to be generating anything close to top level speed. There’s been far too many nights where he has been a real non factor out there, imo.
He's 38 that has nothing to do with effort, he's an old man. What can you really do with him, he was and still is great for the kids but on the ice just keep him off the 4th line as long as possible. You can't scratch him or bench him yet.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think he's looked fine lately.
Where is the Marleau outrage?
Marleau is a old and washed up. So many horrendous deals given by lou. Marleau, Zaitsev, Martin(got out of this one). Dubas will fi d it tought to move him. But nylander has 3 pts in 16 games. People were saying this guy could be our 3rd best player. This season seems like it will be a huge step back for nylander. He is looking like a worse version of 17-18 drouin for the habs who was looking like a poor player with a crappy deal. If nylander really cant find a way to pick it up this year, I hope he can bounce back next season for us. Hopefully marner and Matthews along with kap, johnsson, dermott (when his deal comes) and other younger guys see the horrendous impact that sitting out can have on a players development. Nylander has gone from a guy who was close to untouchable for us and a top 5 player from his draft class to looking like a bad contract and seeing players like reinhart, larkin firmly moving past him.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander is in a pretty awkward position in the organization. Not as blue chip as Matthews, Marner and Tavares and not as blue collar as Kapanen and Johnsson. He's basically playing himself into the status of a surplus player.

Reactions: FMichael

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Oh and yeah, I was the ONLY person on the internet to warn Leaf fans that signing Nylande was going to be next to impossible.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We apparently just keep lowering our standards for him.

Apparently its fine getting a 7.5 AAV without scoring as an offensive winger
He doesn't have a 7.5 AAV, and nobody said that what we've got for what we paid is fine. People said that he played fine tonight.

It's amazing to me that people can struggle so much with reading comprehension in forums like this. If they behaved the same in real life, I doubt they could function in a modern society. Here purposeful misunderstandings are the norm as it's much easier to attack the absurd opinions you want people to have than the more reasonable opinions they actually voice.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
He CAN'T WIN?

What in the absolute **** are you talking about?

It's the same with any other player EVER.

Want to know how you "win"?

YOU EARN YOUR CONTRACT BASED ON THE SCORESHEET!!!!

ENOUGH of the excuses. ENOUGH of the rationalities. ENOUGH of the lies/rhetoric/spin.

JUST EARN YOUR ****ING CONTRACT BY CONTRIBUTING IN GOALS/POINTS!!!!

Another wacko post.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I was firmly against signing Nylander(right so far bigly) and I am against keeping Matthews.
Nylander is being traded post July 1.
Look at the contract.
He's going to a cap floor team, Carolina top of the list.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
He doesn't have a 7.5 AAV, and nobody said that what we've got for what we paid is fine. People said that he played fine tonight.

It's amazing to me that people can struggle so much with reading comprehension in forums like this. If they behaved the same in real life, I doubt they could function in a modern society. Here purposeful misunderstandings are the norm as it's much easier to attack the absurd opinions you want people to have than the more reasonable opinions they actually voice.

Well, clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

He's making 10 this year and 7 the rest. The AAV of his contract is 7.5, just like I said.

Glad you think your better than others and that your opinion matters more.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
How many troll warnings did I get for suggesting Dubas not sign Nylander at all this year? Troll warnings for trading Auston Matthews?

How is that a troll? Its an opinion, and from a guy whose best friend grew up to be the GM of the Leafs. I was his best friend right up to the point he became GM of the Leafs.

I sat beside the guy while he was GM of the Leafs. Has any owner or friend of this board sat beside the GM of the Leafs for most of at least one season? No I didn't think so.

How am I a troll for wanting to trade a potential diva like Nylander and a potential injury risk like Matthews. Yeah, maybe it makes me a target, but I am NOT TROLLING when suggesting we trade these two players .

I don't want to be RIGHT, I want the Leafs to be right, but I think most Leaf fans will agree, it would have been better to NOT sign Nylander, guy has been absolute crap so far.

I am tired of getting trolling warnings for mere SMART opinion. Boot me or stop the warnings.

I was firmly against signing Nylander(right so far bigly) and I am against keeping Matthews.

That is not a troll. Its a concerned long term Leafs fan who understands the Cap can make or break you.

You're dropping names like a total lunatic.
If any of this is true, and you knew a General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and you didn't get a job, then he must really not think very highly of what you know. So why should we?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well, clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

He's making 10 this year and 7 the rest. The AAV of his contract is 7.5, just like I said.

Glad you think your better than others and that your opinion matters more.
No, the AAV is slightly below 7. Your number is what it would have been if he signed this exact contract before the season. He didn't.

I don't think my opinion matters more. Didn't express such either. Nice to see you corroborate what I said with another reach of a misunderstanding though.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He wasn't bad at all against BOS. I like that he's driving to the net more aggressively now and is trying to get garbage goals. The points will eventually come (you don't score 61 points as a rookie without talent) and hopefully when they do, he'll keep driving to the net and looking for garbage as well.

I thought Jake was bad in that game, and his turnover and Zaitsev's cost the team.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
No, the AAV is slightly below 7. Your number is what it would have been if he signed this exact contract before the season. He didn't.

I don't think my opinion matters more. Didn't express such either. Nice to see you corroborate what I said with another reach of a misunderstanding though.

Wrong. His the AAV is under 7 over the years 2-6 of his contract. The overall AAV of the contract is 7.5. You have no idea what you are talking about.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
William Nylander
CF/60: 76.7 (1st)
CA/60: 58.84 (6th)
CF%: 56.59 (1st)

SF/60: 35.42 (1st)
SA/60: 30.15 (5th)

SCF/60: 36.3 (1st)
SCA/60: 27.52 (8th)

HDCF/60: 15.81 (2nd)
HDCA/60: 9.66 (6th)

Nylander has been terrific. He just needs to keep playing like this.

Reactions: Mitchy and Jozay

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Quoted for truth. Some just dont like it.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
At what point do stupid threads stop being made?

The answer to your question and mine: NEVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad