At what point is Nylander benched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
Seriously.

William Nylander sure has looked garbage since coming back. Not even the point totals (16 gp 1g 2a -4) just floating out there not taking hits soft as anything and seems to have lost the ability as a playmaker. Hes been given powerplay time and is simply not even a presence.

I think we can stop this whole "oh late rfa signings need time" thing. Its 16 games. Hes been arguably one of the worst leafs on the ice. Time for a healthy scratch? Or maybe sent down to the Marlies for conditioning.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I thought he looked pretty good tonight. We played a good game, the outcome sucks, but on to the next one...

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Seriously.

William Nylander sure has looked garbage since coming back. Not even the point totals (16 gp 1g 2a -4) just floating out there not taking hits soft as anything and seems to have lost the ability as a playmaker. Hes been given powerplay time and is simply not even a presence.

I think we can stop this whole "oh late rfa signings need time" thing. Its 16 games. Hes been arguably one of the worst leafs on the ice. Time for a healthy scratch? Or maybe sent down to the Marlies for conditioning.

Way to embarrass yourself.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
We apparently just keep lowering our standards for him.

Apparently its fine getting a 7.5 AAV without scoring as an offensive winger

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
I think he's looked fine lately.
Where is the Marleau outrage?

He was fine tonight

I thought he looked good out there today :dunno:

Also lol at benching Nylander. You posters are an embarrassment.

I thought he looked pretty good tonight. We played a good game, the outcome sucks, but on to the next one...

I honestly think you're all being as biased as the commentators. Nylander touches the puck and "oh what an amazing play". He doesnt come back to back check. He floats in the offensive zone. He has zero impact on the game. I have no idea how anyone thinks hes playing well. Perhaps you're watching the game with tinted glasses.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Everyone who says he looked fine tonight or looks fine in general has substantially lowered their standards over time. This is a guy many of us thought could actually drive a line. He looks like an absolute passenger out there, a complimentary player at BEST.

He skates really smoothly and beautifully out there so that really hides his lack of doing anything tangible out there to the average viewer.

Guy takes the puck and glides gorgeously into some open space for a couple seconds and it's oooo Nylander looking good tonight.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Seriously.

gotta sting when pasternak gets interviewed on HNIC
nylander might get 10 mill for 20 points .
embarrassing as a leafs FAN IMO

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I honestly think you're all being as biased as the commentators. Nylander touches the puck and "oh what an amazing play". He doesnt come back to back check. He floats in the offensive zone. He has zero impact on the game. I have no idea how anyone thinks hes playing well. Perhaps you're watching the game with tinted glasses.
There's that. Or maybe you don't have a clue?

Hes more confident with the puck and hitting defenders with speed. He's creating changes and opening space.

He was awful early. He was fine tonight. Don't let your frustration cloud your judgement.

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
Everyone who says he looked fine tonight or looks fine in general has substantially lowered their standards over time. This is a guy many of us thought could actually drive a line. He looks like an absolute passenger out there, a complimentary player at BEST.

He skates really smoothly and beautifully out there so that really hides his lack of doing anything tangible out there to the average viewer.

Guy takes the puck and glides gorgeously into some open space for a couple seconds and it's oooo Nylander looking good tonight.

Basically what I'm saying. Seems the entire board/leaf commentators are drinking some serious Nyland kool aid because I see nothing more than an overpaid Suglobov out there (theres a blast in the past name).

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Marleau seemed like he was the one not working hard enough out there. I see people saying that he still has elite speed, but honestly, I disagree.

The thing I’ve noticed about him this season, is that he doesn’t seem to be generating anything close to top level speed. There’s been far too many nights where he has been a real non factor out there, imo.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
watch the games. he looked pretty good tonight. get a grip

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marceau seemed like he was the one not working hard enough out there. I see people saying that he still has elite speed, but honestly, I disagree.

The thing I’ve noticed about him this season, is that he doesn’t seem to be generating anything close to top level speed. There’s been far too many nights where he has been a real non factor out there, imo.
I've read that he can still skate, but haven't read elite speed since his signing (and it was wrong then)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Seriously.

Sounds like box score watching to me.

Reactions: stickty111

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
There's that. Or maybe you don't have a clue?

Hes more confident with the puck and hitting defenders with speed. He's creating changes and opening space.

He was awful early. He was fine tonight. Don't let your frustration cloud your judgement.

I watched the whole game. "Creating changes and opening space" was something I did not see. So either I'm totally blind or Nylander was just not doing this.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Hahaha yep.

He has done nothing.

Trevor Moore on a ELC will make more of a difference. Oh Wait.. HE HAS.

Get outtaaa here Nylander.

Matthews is Tulowitzki it seems more and more

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I understand why people are pissed about the holdout. I understand and agree with criticism that he's soft, and the effort level is not always there. I even understand why people feel he is a perimeter player, even though I don't necessarily agree.

What I don't understand is that even after games where he did everything they say they want from him, it's still the same old posts anyway. He can't win.

I will say that he and Kadri look pretty bad together in the defensive zone. Two goals against tonight where they collectively share the blame because they go for the same play, opening up space that shouldn't be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad