At their peaks: Jagr/Forsberg/Lindros v Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin

Better peak line?

• Total voters

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
90s revisionist history.

Jagr was my favorite player growing up. My dad was a die hard Flyers fan, and I loved Roy so I watched all of the Avs championships.

None of those players peak wise compare to Crosby or Ovechkin. And if we are going by peak, Malkin is right there with Jagr who never dominated the playoffs as one of THE GUYS like Malkin.

What would you know about the 90's, you were a kid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Clearly you didn't read my post. Lemeiux retired in 1997 after winning his 6th scoring title, Jagr proceeded to win 4 in a row. Francis stuck around for the first one (1998) but then departed for Carolina.

Jagr won these playing with Martin Strata and Robert Lang. Some crazy talent right there!

So no, he was not "insulated" by them.

Francis was there in 98 and Lemieux was there in 01.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's easier to play "closer to their peak" when their peak is clearly inferior. Nothing Forsberg or Lindros ever did comes close to sniffing OV's 08-10. And speaking of PPG, OV has more PPG wins than Forsberg and Lindros. Also, OV played 70+ GP in all 8 of his top 10 PPG seasons (48/48 in 12/13). Lindros only 3/8, Forsberg only 5/8. So OV destroys them for peak but also prime (before even getting into goal, pt and hart finishes).

That's a lot of words to say you agree, though the idea that they weren't close is absurd.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Francis was there in 98 and Lemieux was there in 01.

Lemieux played half of 2001. So I wouldn't say he insulated Jagr that much. Francis was a good player, but Jagr drove that line.

Besides - his most impressive Art Ross wins came without either of them on the team - 1999 & 2000.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lemieux played half of 2001. So I wouldn't say he insulated Jagr that much. Francis was a good player, but Jagr drove that line.

Besides - his most impressive Art Ross wins came without either of them on the team - 1999 & 2000.

Which is why I said in the post you quoted that 99 offensively was comparable to Sid’s offensive peak, but Sid wasn’t a one way forward that didn’t qualify for the playoffs.

And I’d still argue Jags best season was 96, but I know people think what he did in the late ‘90s is miraculous, I just don’t see much value in a team that catered systematically and structurally to one player and had no success because of it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Which is why I said in the post you quoted that 99 offensively was comparable to Sid’s offensive peak, but Sid wasn’t a one way forward that didn’t qualify for the playoffs.

You said he was insulated by the two mentioned players.... when 3 (or 2 1/2 if you wanna be picky) came without them.

Put Sid on those teams and they still don't make the playoffs. Luckily for him he's had one helluva running mate on his team for most of his career. Jagr was playing for a bankrupt franchise that was on the verge of relocation and thus did not have the resources to bring in another star when Lemieux retired.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You said he was insulated by the two mentioned players.... when 3 (or 2 1/2 if you wanna be picky) came without them.

Put Sid on those teams and they still don't make the playoffs. Luckily for him he's had one helluva running mate on his team for most of his career. Jagr was playing for a bankrupt franchise that was on the verge of relocation and thus did not have the resources to bring in another star when Lemieux retired.

Jags was 11 pts being Sakic and in 10th overall when Lemieux returned in 2000.

We’ve never seen Crosby on a team that caters simply to him to put up offensive numbers. I assume if we did it when he was 26 we would have seen a similar response dependent on his health.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Forsberg would have needed to have 9 points in 4 games to equal what Malkin did that playoffs.

Malkin's playoff stat line speaks for itself. He has been a far better playoff performer than Forsberg.

Also, the 2002 Kings and Sharks are not exactly the 2009 Flyers and Caps.
Well Forsberg has more points in less games than Malkin so I mean I guess that means it's not cut and dry as to who's better in the playoffs?

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Forsberg really was as good as some folks on HF seem to still think he was, he'd rival Gretzky's trophy case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad