At their Absolute Peak for a Must Win Game, who you Got?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Cole easily. Evra was always overrated and his character sucks.
Cole had very good heights.
Agreed on Seedorf and Davids. Not even close to me.

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I love the challenges people come up with. Most of them are really close calls in my opinion.

You can't really argue against Seedorf´s record in big games, but I'm not sure if I have seen him dominate individual games the way Davids could. I would say Seedorf was the better player throughout his career, but when Davids was on fire he was really something special. I don´t have a strong view either way there.

Would agree on Cole. Probably one of the easier ones.

Giggs vs. Figo is a coin toss for me. My guess Figo will have a better reputation the further South you get. But boy was Giggs something special as well. Ferguson claims he only had 4 world class players in his career and Giggs was one of them (C. Ronaldo, Cantona and Scholes being the three others). I would probably go Figo, but I'm not sure.

Duncan Ferguson or Andy Carroll?

Reactions: gary69

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Duncan Ferguson or Andy Carroll?

Genuine cult heroes are hard to find these days but in a 48-hour period in November 1994, Ferguson was arrested for drink driving, had a girl waiting for him in his hotel room when he was released, scored his first goal for Everton in a derby match in front of the Street End, and spent the evening celebrating with fans in the city centre until the early hours.

That is the stuff of legends. Can't beat that.

Cantona or Bergkamp?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Dennis Bergkamp was better than Eric Cantona, for sure. I don't think it's close. Bergkamp is the second best player in Premier League history, not far off first.

Reactions: Ajacied

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wasn’t even the second best player on his team. Or third. Or arguably even fourth.
He was the best player on his team at his peak, don’t be ridiculous. In his peak, between 1996 and 1999, he was better than Wright, Overmars, Vieira and Adams. You could also argue he had another peak at Ajax around 91-93. He was the catalyst for Wengers early sucess. Bergkamp is a top 15 player of all time. I fully admit I might be biased, but I have never seen any player with as good of a touch or technique as Bergkamp and probably never will.

Cantona was a good player, but I don’t think he deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as the most elegant player ever. Cantona is not a top 10 player in PL history. Dennis Bergkamp represents everything good about football in my eyes so I won’t ever be unbiased though. Watch and enjoy footballing art.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ah. This was a surprise.

I don't think it was just random that Ferguson mentioned Cantona as one of only four players he ever coached that he considered world class.

Dennis Bergkamp is more like a poor man's Harry Kane. I loved them both, but got to go Cantona here. Don't think it is easily one or the other though as Bergkamp was special as well.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Bergkamp was nothing like Kane stylistically. Nothing at all. He’s more of a playmaker and creator. Bergkamp could run an entire teams attack on his own with genius vision, roaming ability and off ball movement. He was a better version of Francesco Totti (who is miles ahead of Cantona by the way). Kane obviously isn’t anywhere near prime Bergkamp. As I said, I can’t think of 15 better players to ever play football.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Boy oh boy. How many of those 15 have played for Arsenal? :DD

Or should I say are playing for?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Terrible take.
Bergkamp was a magnificent player, but he rarely took over a team. He was not someone who weighed on every match.
Mind you, Cantona neither, he too has ups and downs. But at his peak he literally took a Leeds team to a title, moved to United and did the same. Cantona's peak is something few players ever reached. He's the definition of insane peak.
As for Vieira, he was also much more important than Bergkamp on that Arsenal team because he was always good.
Bergkamp is one of those players you love to watch on highlights plays because he was so damn elegant techncially. But day in and day out, he was barely a top 3 Arsenal player.

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is quite reasonable I would say. Only 4 Arsenal players in the top 15 ever. Should be said right now I can't think of a CD better than Mabbutt either - as it was him I was thinking about.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ah. This was a surprise.

I don't think it was just random that Ferguson mentioned Cantona as one of only four players he ever coached that he considered world class.

Dennis Bergkamp is more like a poor man's Harry Kane. I loved them both, but got to go Cantona here. Don't think it is easily one or the other though as Bergkamp was special as well.
Lmao what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad