At their Absolute Peak for a Must Win Game, who you Got?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Koller easily, achieved so much more on the European spectrum than Crouch who was stuck at Stoke during his prime and wasn't necessarily their best player during that time frame as well.

Nicolas Anelka or Abou Diaby (In their primes and without injury history being taken into account please)????
Easy Anelka there. Could win any game on a single play at his peak.

Raul or Butragegno?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hazard very comfortably for me - very few players could take over a game like that.

Lewandowski's ruthless efficiency takes this for me.

This is tough, especially because Robben had a well deserved reputation for bottling in big games until later in his career. But his 2014 WC is, for my money, the best that either of them ever were.

Dempsey easily.

Santi Cazorla or Tomas Rocisky
Cazorla and Rosicky are both magical footballers that I loved to watch, and it's hard to pick. I would go Santi though. Also dissapionted in two guys picking Lewandowski over Zlatan, but I'm biased towards Ibra.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Easy Anelka there. Could win any game on a single play at his peak.
Not disagreeing with you because Anelka was effin' unbelievable, but Diaby was one of the best attention to detail type of players I've watched. He was also an extremely underrated dribbler and was a brilliant playmaker. I think I would take Anelka, but not sure if it's easily.

Give me David Villa. I think he was more dangerous on the pitch.

Marek Hamsik or Isco
I really like this question, tough because each provided an excellent form of strength to their respected club. Hamsik is more underrated, while Isco is the more exposed since he got to play for Real. Hamsik is the better goalscoer, Isco is the better playmaker. Holy smokes, damn the more I am thinking about it the more either player would be useful depending on the situation. Like if you put Hamsik in Isco's position for Real and the Spanish national team would he have been more product? Likewise with Isco? Would he have made Slovakia better? Super close, but I am going with Hamsik, harder to score goals from the midfield.

Nemanja Vidic vs Vincent Kompany?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not disagreeing with you because Anelka was effin' unbelievable, but Diaby was one of the best attention to detail type of players I've watched. He was also an extremely underrated dribbler and was a brilliant playmaker. I think I would take Anelka, but not sure if it's easily.

I really like this question, tough because each provided an excellent form of strength to their respected club. Hamsik is more underrated, while Isco is the more exposed since he got to play for Real. Hamsik is the better goalscoer, Isco is the better playmaker. Holy smokes, damn the more I am thinking about it the more either player would be useful depending on the situation. Like if you put Hamsik in Isco's position for Real and the Spanish national team would he have been more product? Likewise with Isco? Would he have made Slovakia better? Super close, but I am going with Hamsik, harder to score goals from the midfield.

Nemanja Vidic vs Vincent Kompany?
Maybe I’m biased(definitely am) but Vidic somewhat comfortably for me.

Ferdinand or Terry?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Peak wise, there's not much better than Ben Arfa, save Messi and all.

Ronaldo or Ronaldo?

This is a bit tricky since R9's peak was before the age of 23 when his knees blew up.

qERckXE.jpg

Does that R9 stack up to R7's peak? It's pretty damn close, but boy do you wonder what could have been.

Batistuta or Thierry Henry?

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This is a bit tricky since R9's peak was before the age of 23 when his knees blew up.

qERckXE.jpg

Does that R9 stack up to R7's peak? It's pretty damn close, but boy do you wonder what could have been.

Batistuta or Thierry Henry?
Thierry Henry, not even close. The guy has the all time best goals per game record in England and the all time single season Premier League assist record. Henry had a better career than R9, for example, he was a better all round striker with better goalscoring and assist numbers over a long period (R9 in terms of peak is just as good though probably but I would take 2002-2004 Thierry Henry over peak R9 and every other striker during my lifetime).

Rio was the better player imo. I'd take him.

Ben Arfa or Jack Wilshere

Not unbiased here, but peak Wilshere, when he was a teenager, is one of the best British midfielders ever. I take him over most midfielders only looking at peak. Ben Arfa was insane at his peak as well though so it's hard. I didn't watch Ben Arfa enough to answer.

Sergio Ramos or Virgil Van Dijk?

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would take Ronaldo over C. Ronaldo given Ronaldo is more likely to win that one game. Although if C. Ronaldo played with Rivaldo and Dinho I bet they would never lose an international game, and by never I mean really never.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ronaldo is one of very very few players ever that on his day was just unstoppable. To me that goes for two players in the "modern" game. Messi and Ronaldo (Maradona being too old).

So for absolute peak you pick Ronaldo. For career the pick is obviously C. Ronaldo.

All in my opinion of course.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Thierry Henry, not even close. The guy has the all time best goals per game record in England and the all time single season Premier League assist record. Henry had a better career than R9, for example, he was a better all round striker with better goalscoring and assist numbers over a long period (R9 in terms of peak is just as good though probably but I would take 2002-2004 Thierry Henry over peak R9 and every other striker during my lifetime).

Not unbiased here, but peak Wilshere, when he was a teenager, is one of the best British midfielders ever. I take him over most midfielders only looking at peak. Ben Arfa was insane at his peak as well though so it's hard. I didn't watch Ben Arfa enough to answer.

On peak I take Van Dijk and people here know that I think very highly of Sergio Ramos.

Casillas or Buffon?

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

Ramos, it's not even a debate.

Reactions: S E P H

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No contest for me. De Rossi was a warrior, but he never had Verratti's natural talent.
Lahm or Alves.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Ramos, it's not even a debate.
I would agree over the course of their careers for sure. 2018-2019 Van Dijk however is probably the most dominant CB I have ever seen. Hard to choose but I am leaning towards picking Van Dijk when only looking at absolute peak but I would understand going both ways. It's definately worthy of a debate however.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What Ramos got going for him is the knack for scoring a goal in that one big game.

Never seen Ramos be as dominant as I have seen van Dijk be though. For a time it almost felt pointless trying to attack Liverpool.

Obviously two great players, but I would have picked van Dijk.

Reactions: ecemleafs and AB13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad