Confirmed with Link: At Long Last: BUF signs Ryan Johnson to a 2-year ELC

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Most lefties, shoot right in hockey. Generally harder to find. I'm sure some righties do shoot right but it is somewhat rare. I think the question is whether the fact he is left-handed makes more effective on his "natural" right side. Probably not.
I'm a rightie that shoots (or used to back when I actually played) right-handed.

Is it really odd that I'm odd? :laugh:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think Americans generally tend to shoot on the side of the dominant hand more often than other players. A lot of commonly speculated reasons (i.e. that Americans tend to start later so they don't necessarily need to keep their dominant hand at the top of the stick to control it) don't necessarily apply here because of Johnson's background, though. On the other hand, it looks like his dad is also a left-handed shot, so if he's also a lefty who shoots left then it's possible that his son chose to do the same.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm a rightie that shoots (or used to back when I actually played) right-handed.

Is it really odd that I'm odd? :laugh:

I'm a righty that shoots right but when I started playing street hockey when I was like 4 I was using sticks from the kid down the street and he's left handed and had right-shooting sticks. But I also golf right so it makes sense to me.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm right handed, I shoot right, golf right, bat left handed, shoot pistols left handed due to left eye dominance, shoot pool left handed and shoot rifles either so I guess I'm just plain weird
I shoot pool left handed too. It’s the only thing I do backwards. And I have no idea why I do it.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm right handed, I shoot right, golf right, bat left handed, shoot pistols left handed due to left eye dominance, shoot pool left handed and shoot rifles either so I guess I'm just plain weird
Left handed here.

Play drums right. Play guitar left but on a righty string layout. Can drive stick. hockey shot is somehow still left though.

It’s a righties world.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I’m ambidextrous in everything except for writing. That I’m strictly a righty, but that’s because I wasn’t allowed to write with the devil’s hand.

I am left handed. When I was little, my parents kept making me use my right hand for everything. Now, I only write/throw with my left hand. I shoot pool right handed (shoot right in gym hockey, not that it is saying anything), cut with my right hand (both plated food and cutting board food). I kick with my right foot. I can also drive stick.

I just read a study that suggested "mix-handed" people have more atrophy in the hippocampus and amygdala when aging and more cognitive decline. Obviously, it is just one study and there are a lot of potential influencing factors.

Ok, now that I'm depressed about possible early cognitive decline (ok, I get that life in many ways is a crapshoot), back to enjoying the fact that the Amerks live to see another day...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I am left handed. When I was little, my parents kept making me use my right hand for everything. Now, I only write/throw with my left hand. I shoot pool right handed (shoot right in gym hockey, not that it is saying anything), cut with my right hand (both plated food and cutting board food). I kick with my right foot. I can also drive stick.

I just read a study that suggested "mix-handed" people have more atrophy in the hippocampus and amygdala when aging and more cognitive decline. Obviously, it is just one study and there are a lot of potential influencing factors.

Ok, now that I'm depressed about possible early cognitive decline (ok, I get that life in many ways is a crapshoot), back to enjoying the fact that the Amerks live to see another day...

Some things I’m strictly one handed at doing. Like writing or driving stick. But then again, it’s not like there’s really an option to drive a British car here in North America. And cutting up food.

And I can’t catch a baseball for shit with a lefty glove. But I attribute that to not growing up using one, as those were $20 more for the same model and my parents were cheap.

Reactions: Tachycineta

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I do everything RH expect shoot a hockey puck.

My athletic son is LH, was a RH shot in hockey, plays lax goalie RH, bowls LH, threw LH and batted RH in baseball, and I am not sure which way he golfs.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Every draft a small part of me wants them to select the names that will be hardest for Ray to pronounce. I don't think he can handle Poltapov.
Here it is necessary to place the accent correctly. He will surely speak Po'ltapov, but correctly Polta'pov.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm a righty that shoots right but when I started playing street hockey when I was like 4 I was using sticks from the kid down the street and he's left handed and had right-shooting sticks. But I also golf right so it makes sense to me.
I golf wrong. Way wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Dingo44

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am right handed but shoot left in hockey. I golf right and bat right handed, though I could switch hit (probably not anymore…lol). In soccer I kicked with both legs.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I grew up playing hockey in a town with two large families.
There were 11 boys between the two families, and all played hockey.
All 11 are right-hand dominant. Throw right -- baseball bat right -- golf right -- write right.
Six shot left-handed in hockey. Go figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad